SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 20, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #13,621 of 45,723
So is there a powerful portable amp that doesnt force you to use a DAC out there? I just want to listen to my 1Z through the balanced jack and add power to the 1Z so I can turn it up louder and not lose dynamics either, does such a thing exist?

Aug 20, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #13,622 of 45,723
Thanks for your cable impressions guys.

Aug 21, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #13,623 of 45,723
So is there a powerful portable amp that doesnt force you to use a DAC out there? I just want to listen to my 1Z through the balanced jack and add power to the 1Z so I can turn it up louder and not lose dynamics either, does such a thing exist?

There are several manufacturors who do portable balanced amps. Amongst them Ray Samuels, ALO, iBasso and probably others (I have not followed the amp scene for several years now)

Aug 21, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #13,624 of 45,723

The Pha2a is a nice piece of kit the dac and amp are excellent and would not disappoint at all. But yeah you've a top dac with the 1Z so a bit more juice is the only thing you need, trouble is you can only get digital out from the WM port and no line so it has to go through a dac. I have mine hooked up at home to my ember via 3.5mm to rca not balanced I know but the quality is superb ( the ember probably does help a lot ) but portable wise and don't quote me on this but the SR71B has balanced input and output so I would think you can take the line from the 4.4mm to the balanced input of the 71. But that's only a guess as I've not tried myself. Failing that a line from 3.5mm to a good quality portable amp that doesn't colour the sound just amp it would do the trick and for me Ray Samuals has some really fine amps.

Aug 21, 2017 at 5:08 AM Post #13,625 of 45,723

There has been portable amps that is fully balanced for a while ie takes balanced input and outputs in balance, you'll just have to google for them. You'll probably also have to get a short cable custom made that will have a 4.4mm plug on one end and whatever plug the balanced amp will take (probably some form of 2.5mm or square 4 pin connector) though.

Aug 21, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #13,626 of 45,723
Hi - seriously thinking about getting the 1z now and a few questions.

1) Is it possible to do digital out via USB to an external DAC and if so how?
2) What aftermarket cables work best in a mobile setup with a balanced config and what termination? Used to have Double Helix 8 strand with 3.5mm TRRS...
3) How much break in time is needed (the ZX2 needed 150-180hrs)
4) Aftermarket cases - any brown leather cases worth looking into? (Black + copper/gold color just doesn't seem to match...)

Aug 21, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #13,627 of 45,723

2) What aftermarket cables work best in a mobile setup with a balanced config and what termination? Used to have Double Helix 8 strand with 3.5mm TRRS...
4) Aftermarket cases - any brown leather cases worth looking into? (Black + copper/gold color just doesn't seem to match...)

1, Yes Sony's cable
2, That cables fine just needs a 4.4mm trrrs termination or there is loads to choose from.
3, 500 for me
4, Dignis or a Benks clear show off the gold bullion

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #13,628 of 45,723
1, Yes Sony's cable
2, That cables fine just needs a 4.4mm trrrs termination or there is loads to choose from.
3, 500 for me
4, Dignis or a Benks clear show off the gold bullion

Can you give me a bit more detail on the Sony Cable?
I have one from before from called the WMC-NWH10. Will this work on a non-Sony USB DAC?

Thank you!

Aug 21, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #13,629 of 45,723

I use the BHR-NWH10 dock for USB out.

Aug 21, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #13,634 of 45,723
Has anybody heard wm1a/z with Empire Ears Zeus, 64 audio U12, CA Vega or Westone W80?

Want to go in this direction but I don't know which one to pick...maybe even a used one :)

Aug 21, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #13,635 of 45,723
There are several manufacturors who do portable balanced amps. Amongst them Ray Samuels, ALO, iBasso and probably others (I have not followed the amp scene for several years now)

Thank you so much for this! I finally was able to find an AMP that actually had a truely balanced in and out input on it (not an easy task) and no dac, I called so many manufacturers including the ones you mentioned and in the end I needed a Analog Balanced Portable amp, and I found only 1, the Ray Samuel’s SR-71B. I actually got to speak to Ray himself and he got Drew from Moon-Audio on the phone and told him what I was wanting to do. Drew said I would need new balanced cables for the 2 headsets I am using (Sony MDR-Z1R and HD800S) and then a cable running from the balanced out on the WM1Z to the SR-71B. I was so excited on the phone and they both laughed and said this is about the only portable AMP that will actually push and more with the HD800S in balanced and produce that hidden bass and strong dynamics that usually only show up when you connect to a desktop amp. So for me I wanted to be able to have the portable option of just using my WM1Z solo or if I needed an AMP I wouldnt be chained to desk (not carrying my desktop amp to work and home everyday lol).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back