1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
First

Back
875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884
886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895
Next

Last
  1. bsimms99
    Ok stupid question incoming, so I would like to be able to use the WM1Z as a DAC/AMP for my computer, you mention cables and dongles and such, is what Im asking possible and if so can you point me in the direction of the specific cables I need to buy in order for it to work as this? Because when I tried to connect to my computer it just shows "Turn on Mass Storage Device".

Thanks!

2. bsimms99

LOL thank you for making me laugh for the day that is sir is awesome.

3. nanaholic
    The WM1 series cannot be used as a DAC/AMP for computers at the moment. Though as we already know with ZX300 manual leaks that the mid-ranger player will have such a feature we are crossing our fingers that Sony will bring this feature to the WM1 series via a firmware update.

4. bsimms99
    Fingers crossed here! I would like to not have to use my PHA-3, thing gets so damn hot.

5. aisalen
    Did anyone compared WM1A to Opus #1 in terms of SQ? Is there a big difference? I like the wm due to its battery life.

6. gerelmx1986
    As much I want to try the WM1Z, I'd better wait for the special edition of the Walkman 40

7. kms108
    Still a few year away, and it will probably cost more than the WM1Z, Just have to see if the DAP justify the cost.

8. Whitigir
    Yes, pretty much this

Though, even if special Walkman was to surface, I don't know what else can be more special than Copper OFC chassis ? Everything audio performances related with OFC-goldplated is expensive like hell....

Still, I am like you, awaiting to hear from Sony and what they may bring to the future. Having wm1Z here, I just can't wait

kms108 likes this.
  9. Whitigir
    Wm1z and Utopia short impressions

10. mw7485
    ...maybe it'll have really whizzy silver/gold internal cabling - like errr, well you know....

11. tienbasse
    I certainly hope they can come up with a more radical design strategy than relying on changing the chassis material for more conductive/expensive/sexy/colored/bankable materials.
    Switching materials is "lazy" design requiring very little R&D investment and ending with cheap marketing claims based on pseudo-science.

The wiring upgrade, sound tuning and 256Gb certainly contributes more to the sound and price of 1Z that the humongous golden chassis.

Because with this kind of lazy design, we'll soon have "high-end" DAP with 2 kilograms rare earth metal chassis because it is soooo much better for the sound...
    I would dare to think that the electronics still plays the main role for handling DIGITAL music, and that the chassis is only there for proper grounding, protection and EMI shielding (not that it doesn't need proper design).
    This is still "portable" music after all, they can keep the 2kg "wonder" chassis for home audio if people enjoy the gorgeous look. :wink:

12. mw7485
    I have to agree. It would be better if they didn't try and punt a 2Z/2A, unless it was a definite step up to the current offering. Tinkering around the periphery and then slapping a premium price on the "Walkman Anniversary" moniker would be a real shame.

13. Overkill Red
    Well, having heard the AK240 and AK380 variants, as well as some other modified amps with the chassis made of machined copper/etc., I can say that the chassis makes an audible difference.

If you don't hear it or believe it, then that's awesome. I personally would be happy if they upgraded to a better chassis (AMONG numerous(!!!) other upgrades).

In the end its up to you to vote with your wallet, anyway.

14. Whitigir
    Best chassis is the 1Z with OFC-gold plated ATM. Ofcourse there are possibilities to upgrade the Walkman, well....better Capacitors, better battery and storage, better output, better voltage rails , better S-Master. Just saying, if you are looking into those upgrades, it would be expensive. Taking 1Z as referral points, we probably will have cheaper variant, but most expensive would still be the Copper chassis one.

If anyone want a 1Z now, and waiting for potential next model, you should be saving up money by now, because it can not be any cheaper than 1Z. In the while, if you can afford it, why don't you ? Who know what happen tomorrow ? If you keep waiting, then you would never get there

15. PCheung
    Get the 1Z now and enjoy it
    while the next flagship model is out? Sold the 1Z and get the new one :smile_phones:
    It's that simple, if you can afford it.

Argee with Whitigir, if you keep waiting, then you would never get there

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
First

Back
875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884
886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895
Next

Last