1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
First

Back
872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881
883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892
Next

Last
  1. surfratt
    Thank you :) Looking at these 2 and trying to find as much comparisons between them as possible.

2. Sarnia
    It's a while since I used SE, but from my recollection there was quite a difference on the WM1A with my Sony MDR-EX1000.

Switching from SE to balanced there was a jump in detail and separation, bigger soundstage, and a bit less bass. The SE had a warmer, thicker sound. I imagine it's the same on the WM1Z, if I get time tonight I'll listen and find out.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  3. Overkill Red
    I forgot to add something to my comparison of the 1Z and SP1000SS:

UI:

Both UIs have their own strengths and weaknesses. The Sony UI has really good shortcuts and a fantastic bookmark menu.
    However, the SP1000 simply destroys the Sony in terms of snappiness. It also feels more useful because of options like file copy/transfer.
    I like parts of both UIs, and I hope that one day the Sony UI will catch up to the AK UI in snappiness.

Overall:

Your final choice will honestly, in my opinion, come down to your preference in tonal body/thickness of sound. You like a brighter, slightly thinner and very energetic sound with a slight (IMO) emphasis on female vocals? Get the SP1000SS. You like thicker, darker, somewhat more romantic yet still energetic sound? 1Z.

Haven't heard the SP1000Cu, hope to try it soon.

4. Virtu Fortuna
    Have you updated the Sony to 1.30 firmware?

5. Whitigir
    It is more than just that, but honestly, I have never burned in my SE more than 100 hours. Majority of usages are on the balanced sides.

6. Overkill Red
    If you mean 1.20, the latest firmware, then yes I have.

7. Whitigir

The balanced sides are the same from Wm1a to wm1Z, the Kimber wires, copper chassis and a few F-Resistors are the main differences though. This makes me want to try and upgrade the balanced wires on 1A to observe the differences....the sucker problem is that I have not a 1A

8. ledzep
    3.5mm input and 4.4mm input and the upgrade in quality from single to balanced is quite nice

9. PCheung
    The AK SP1000 has a very nice UI
    Only downside is it resize all CD artwork to a square size image in the Album menu, bad thing if you have some DVD size artwork as CD cover.
    No such problem on WM1Z or even AK3XX series, hope they will fix that problem soon.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  10. Shmuel
    If anyone can answer?

Is there any decent means of sending out music from my wm1a to my soon to be delivered chord hugo 2? If so, can you suggest the correct cable, etc?

Much appreciated.

11. Whitigir
    Headphones out ? Or digital out ?

12. Shmuel
    I am looking to use the Sony as transport, to connect to the chord hugo 2, to the audeze i4 in ears.

Whichever method gives the highest quality sound.

13. Whitigir
    I don't have Chord H2, so I can't give inputs. Though a fact remain is that if you want to do digital out, you would want a special cables from Sony

14. Shmuel
    outs this the cable i would need?

WMC-NWH10 USB Conversion Cable

15. Whitigir
    Yes sir, that is the one

First

Back
872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881
883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892
Next

Last