1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
First

Back
849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858
860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869
Next

Last
  1. Whitigir
    Portable system lacks dynamic punches accuracy, and soundstage

2. PCheung
    Please don't get me wrong
    I never say WM1Z have noise floor higher than SP1000
    I mean if he is looking for a player with low noise floor, neutrality and clarity
    Overall SP1000 seems a better choice than WM1Z imo.

Today I tried my friend's SP1000SS and I feel the SP1000SS has better performance at clarity, also the sound signature is more neutral than WM1Z.
    I didn't notice any noise while I AB test both machine.
    Both machine sounds impressive but consider that the SP1000 is sooooo expensive (Priced around USD 3,850 in Hong Kong)
    I'm gonna keep my WM1Z for now, thank you.

FYI, I'm using a Justear MH2 "listening model" with DITA the truth cable, both machine tested with balance plug.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  3. Whitigir
    No doubt about SP1000 being more neutral as that is their typical signatures. The same as Opus. I am very curious to try the SP1000 and see what it can do, but they are still too early. Nevertheless, it is a good time to enjoy music :)

4. ubs28
    It might sound like a silly question but it is a serious question. How good do the Sony DAP sound in comparison to the iPhone 6S plus? Is it a night and day difference?

I tried a few high-end DAP's from AK and other brands and it was marginally better than my iPhone 6S plus. Not worth the money. So perhaps Sony might interest me if it is a huge difference.

Is it also a good pairing with the CA Andromeda?

5. Whitigir
    Well, Opus 3 is $899 and it is significantly different than IPhone/IPad....then WM1Z is significantly different than Opus 3. I don't know if you can tell it out of a pair of beats...and low MP3 format....but yeah

Wm1z is surprisingly good even when I connect it as analog source using headphones port out into my Stax amp and to 009. Ofcourse it can not do against high-end Desktop DAC, but it is just so freaking good for it sizes being portable device

6. ubs28
    I tried that Opus too. Yes it was better than my iPhone 6S plus. All DAP's sounded better than the iPhone 6S plus but it wasn't a night and day difference like my Chord Dave does. I'm pretty sure I would feel buyers remorse if I bought either of them.

Is there a big difference between the $3000 and $1000 Sony DAP by the way?

And are the Sony's completely lag free also? (I noticed alot of DAP's are not fluid like my iPhone 6S plus)

7. Whitigir

Can't compare 1k to 3k for ya as I don't have the Wm1a.

Sony is not lag free, but it is almost as free. I don't think any DAP can be as fast as IPhone6S :)

8. ubs28
    Many thanks for the info. Kinda strange how they cannot make DAP's lag free despite the high price tag?

Hope I can find these Sony DAP's somewhere and see how they sound with my IEM's. The Mojo has a slight hiss unfortunately with those IEM's so I'm looking for a DAP perhaps to replace it.

9. EDWARIS
    it is a question of taste. I compared 1z and sp1k recently. same ciems, same cable, same music. I liked sp very much, it is really good. I had some AK before, 120-2, 320, listened 240 and 380 - it is best of all of them with a margin. but in the end of the day I decided to buy 1z in the nearest future. I liked its sound more. for 1-2-3 songs AK would be better, more details, more separation, ect. but for long sessions such sound is not good for me, I will be tired. and it would be boring many times, sony is much more emotional and engaging. and its design, its interface, ect - better than 320/380, but still a way behind than sony. and the price also 30% higher now than Sony (sony now makes good discounts). so I choose Sony - again. I always choose sony last years - I had zx2 and 320 same time for couple of months and sell ak first. then I compared 1a and 380 and decided go with 1a, despite 380 was technically much better (didn't consider 1z that time as I was not ready for half a kilo player). now I am going to go with 1z - despite sp is a really great dap, best ak ever made and probably best on the market.

PCheung, Sarnia and Whitigir like this.
  10. AnakChan Moderator
  11. Whitigir
  12. Whitigir
    Allow me to share this portable system :)

Balanced with 3.5mm socket removable style, the very well known MDR-SA5000!!!!
    3.5mm TRRS from my Zx2

Blasting away!!!!

IMG_1656.JPG

Matrix Petka and Quadfather like this.
  13. Acemcl
    That plug looks heavy duty. Where did you get that from?

14. Quadfather
    Can anyone owning both the nw-wm1a and nw-wm1z comment on the sonic differences? What % of sound quality is the 1A vs 1Z?

15. Mimouille
    Roughly 17,34%

First

Back
849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858
860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869
Next

Last