1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
First

Back
848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857
859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868
Next

Last
  1. Quadfather
    Is a 5V 2amp wall charger okay to use in the US?

2. Whitigir
    ? What is the input ?

3. Quadfather
    USA plug....120...wall charger says 5V - 2A

4. Whitigir
    That is fine but will be slow

5. Quadfather
    Is 2.4amp better?

6. Whitigir
    Yes, that will be better

7. Cagin
    These evening after day 1 of canjam London, I had the most fortunate chance of meeting and enjoying diner with this party of people:
    Dean and Jack Vang from Empire Ears
    Eric from Effect Audio
    Nic @flinkenick from The Headphone List
    Lieven and his wife Sophie from Headfonia
    and...
    Tomoaki Sato and Naotaka Tsunoda of SONY !

They had such a great sense of humour, it was a blast.

Of course I couldn't resist spilling the beans about us finding out about the ZX300 user manual and most importantly the usb dac feature. And when I asked about if the S Master HX would allow us to get usb dac in a future firmware they burst out laughing and started talked to each other in Japanese. I was totally ecstatic in my hype moment. All I could get from that and the zx300 was wait for a future show timing.

The recounting of the 4.5 plug then 4.4 pentaconn and jeita and the implementation into the signature series...
    I asked if they were then confident now that for the next future flagship, Tomoaki-san was confident enough as to only put the 4.4mm jack and maybe use the space gain for any more sq improvements, to which he laughed and made a big smile

I hope transmitted my most deep gratitude for the how much I liked the zx2 and wm1a, especially with the improvements against noise while keeping the battery efficiency still at heart (yeah I bashed a&k haha)

P.s.: thanks again for the interview & translation, was so valuable

P.p.s.: what a delight to have been able to share company even for a bit with your favorite ciem and dap makers

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  8. animalsrush
    @Whitigir What I meant was I took your suggestion based on your post earlier.. I didn't know what each settings meant and your post helped

Thanks
    Pc

9. Whitigir
    So when they bursted out laughing about your question and USB DAC. There would be 2 scenarios, I am assuming

1/ they waged bet with each other that Westerner, and IPod adopters since the last decade will bring up this question, just because !

2/ they found it funny that we wanted the Wm1Z to be doing USB DAC. Because if you would have wanted a stack....you would have gone with Dedicated portable DAC/Amplifier ?

Either way, good question, and I am sad that it was not answered. Thanks for posting about the event

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  10. Virtu Fortuna
  11. coburn
    Hello

I'm looking for suggestions.

For weeks I've been reading this thread and the thread on the Onkyo DP-X1

I'd like to replace my main audio system with a portable system. This is part of my plan to simplify my life.

Half of my music is classical. The rest is jazz from 1960s and vocal/folk. Very little rock or pop. I'm not a bass head. I've never gotten into streaming. My music collection are CDs ripped to uncompressed FLAC.

I'd like a system that can reproduce the beauty of chamber music, the live experience of symphonic and the intimacy of close-miked live vocals. Although I appreciate the pleasure of picking out details in music, I don't need to dissect the music. I'm not a musician or recording engineer.

My main system was optimized for low noise floor, neutrality and clarity. (You can see it here at the Audiogon site. https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/6085)

I would need at least two headphones: An over-the-ear for most of my listening and an In-ear for those times when I'm on the go. I would never use this at work nor would I use this when I'm in the gym. I do like to walk and would use this system then. Most of the time I'd be listening to this around the house with over-the-ear headphones; Moving to different rooms reading, cooking, etc.

At one time, I had a good tabletop headphone amp from Woo Audio (WA22) but I sold it. I'm too restless to be tethered to a desktop amp. I can't sit still. If I'm going to use headphone, I need a portable system.

I'd like to hear any suggestions you have. If I manage to sell my main system, I think I could swing a budget as high as $8,000 USA for the complete portable system.

12. Whitigir
    First of all, moving away from speakers into headphones is not a good idea, unless you adopt into high-end segment. Then to just totally be portable with it is even worse. However, the best so far I have had is Utopia and WM1Z ATM. There are huge differences between my Stax system vs my portable system :). May want to really think back about your options

13. PCheung
    Just have a feeling the AK SP1000 maybe what you need more than WM1Z, in terms of the sound signature, also the low noise floor, neutrality and clarity you need.

Best if you can AB test both of them

14. Whitigir
    You can tell SP1000 has lower noise floor than Wm1z ? You have amazing hearings. I don't hear any noises in Wm1z, less so when I connect it into my Stax009. But newer must be better though, that is usually how it goes

15. coburn
    Thank you. That's the fundamental question I had: can I get the sound quality from a portable system. So let me ask you, what is the sound of a portable HP system missing that speaker system has? Is it lower noise, wider sound stage, details? From the descriptions on this thread, I had the impression the the top tier portable HP systems had caught up with traditional speaker systems.

First

Back
848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857
859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868
Next

Last