SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #10,891 of 45,723
Amp was an SRM007t (not tII). I will never return to Stax. I kept my SE009 on a high quality headphone stand and you know what, after about 6 month the plastic clips for the headband size regulation broke. First one side, a few days later the other side, only from keeping it on the headphone stand. The new Orpheus would be a little more interesting I guess:wink:

Ugh...That was unfortunately, i didn't think it was that bad LoL. Anyways, good amps make a huge different :D. Let's get back on WM1Z topic. I am running it as digital transport into my Stax and it is awesome! This little portable player can act in so many ways with great performances

Digital transport
Analog lineout for preamp
Walkman on the go connect directly into Utopia

Mar 30, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #10,892 of 45,723
I owned a SR009 with tube amp. Sold both because I didn't like SR009's build quality for it's price. SQ was nice, yes, but a touch too bright for my taste. Z1 with HD800S and even with 800 sounds slightly better to me. Speed and highs from the SR009 were something special though.

Im about to have the exact same setup - 800S into my 1Z with a balanced upgraded custom cable. If it is on par or surpasses a good 009 setup then I think I would be in heaven. Especially seeing as I get the benefit of being portable.

What volume do you set your 800S at?

Mar 30, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #10,893 of 45,723
Im about to have the exact same setup - 800S into my 1Z with a balanced upgraded custom cable. If it is on par or surpasses a good 009 setup then I think I would be in heaven. Especially seeing as I get the benefit of being portable.

The SR009 wins that race. I give the 1Z lots of credit and the 800S does not suck but that combo is not going to out perform the 009 unless you're using the STAX 007 amp. Being their amp is kinda less than a Woo or BHES .... well you get my point

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Mar 30, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #10,894 of 45,723

The SR009 wins that race. I give the 1Z lots of credit and the 800S does not suck but that combo is not going to out perform the 009 unless you're using the STAX 007 amp. Being their amp is kinda less than a Woo or BHES .... well you get my point

Exactly! It is not possible to win over Stax 009 in a good setup, unless you are talking about Sangri-La ? Or Orpheus ? But that is talking about Stax stock energizers and nothing yet with the DIY energizers which blow Stax another boost into the next dimension like Jason said, BHES...KGSSHV-Carbon...T2 DIY

My WM1Z with upgraded cables and Utopia can perform very well, actually surprisingly well for a Portable system. But Stax 009 is another dimension. That is a given though, portability vs high-end Desktop system is a no comparison. You can do a full blown desktop system for your 800/S/Utopia, but then....yet....Stax and Electro-stat is another ball game

Mar 30, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #10,895 of 45,723
Exactly! It is not possible to win over Stax 009 in a good setup, unless you are talking about Sangri-La ? Or Orpheus ? But that is talking about Stax stock energizers and nothing yet with the DIY energizers which blow Stax another boost into the next dimension like Jason said, BHES...KGSSHV-Carbon...T2 DIY

My WM1Z with upgraded cables and Utopia can perform very well, actually surprisingly well for a Portable system. But Stax 009 is another dimension. That is a given though, portability vs high-end Desktop system is a no comparison. You can do a full blown desktop system for your 800/S/Utopia, but then....yet....Stax and Electro-stat is another ball game

This is really getting out of topic, but yes, the 1Z is a fantastic piece, I use it in my home setups as well as a dedicated DAP on the go. It's not cheap by any means, but a really quality component that I'm loving. Next will be to see how it drives my Eikon, I already know it does really well with the Utopia.

Mar 31, 2017 at 1:55 AM Post #10,896 of 45,723

I always used HD800 in parallel with SR009 and I felt both have a similar sound sig, 009 overall being better but only slightly. HD800 was slightly more grainy in the highs but also more three dimensional sounding. In the end it may depend on personal taste and like mentioned my amp into the 009 was not the best. Now with 1Z as a source the slightly grainy highs from the HD800 seem to have gone away. I'm very happy about that. All from memory of course and YMMV. One last word regarding 009: I really fell in love with it's look.

I'm at volume 80 most of the time with HD800S balanced. That feels kind of loud to me, but not too much :)

Mar 31, 2017 at 3:56 AM Post #10,897 of 45,723
Trust me guys.. I share the opinion of the 009 being pretty much the overall winner when it comes to the HD800S (and pretty much every other headphone made today lol). I actually posted in a thread in summit fi a few days ago that was literally made just to get everyone's personal rank of hd800 and Stax. My opinion was 009 > 800S >> 800.

However I still strongly feel that the shorter the audio chain the better and for instance the DAVE is much better without an amp as long as the headphone is low impedence and not power hungry. I think big setups with tons of cabling and units are too highly regarded.. I've had some of the world's best and in the end it's both physical and audible clutter.

I don't think the 800S will surpass the 009 but I do think it has potential to be in the same league and perhaps neck & neck for sure. And I believe it won't surpass it not because of fancy amps or dacs but because the headphones themselves limitations and potential etc

I'm rambling but hopefully some of my points got across. I just wish the 1Z could power a beast like the LCD-4.

Mar 31, 2017 at 4:51 AM Post #10,898 of 45,723
Important question ** every album has correctly sorted and labeled the artist and album up until the last two or three folders I put on there. It adds it to a various artist section and only thing that shows up in the dap UI is song names and that's all.. no artist or album name so it's a bunch of songs mushed together and hard to find.

Is there a way I can organize and label these myself ?? I got them all from the same source so not sure why it decides to mess up now lol

Mar 31, 2017 at 5:16 AM Post #10,899 of 45,723
Important question ** every album has correctly sorted and labeled the artist and album up until the last two or three folders I put on there. It adds it to a various artist section and only thing that shows up in the dap UI is song names and that's all.. no artist or album name so it's a bunch of songs mushed together and hard to find.

Is there a way I can organize and label these myself ?? I got them all from the same source so not sure why it decides to mess up now lol

Get mp3tag if you are running a Windows machine

Mar 31, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #10,901 of 45,723
Mar 31, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #10,903 of 45,723
Walkman always on battery last almost same as turning it off at night.

Also leaving it on, at least for me causes more hangs and rebooting than turning it off at night

Mar 31, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #10,904 of 45,723
Walkman always on battery last almost same as turning it off at night.

Also leaving it on, at least for me causes more hangs and rebooting than turning it off at night

I've had mine for 2 weeks always on and hasn't had it hang on me at all, just as stable as ZX2 that didn't get turned of or rebooted for 1 1/2 year

Mar 31, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #10,905 of 45,723
Maybe is just when I browse the lineup screen and return to now playing is where it hangs, it's a pattern

All other screens arne stable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back