SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 3, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #8,626 of 45,723

I am tempted to buy the WM1A so badly :X but I only got WAV files, and also planning to get a CIEM with it, it's gonna cost a bomb haha!

You could convert your WAVs to FLAC.

​Mac user XLD lossless decoder, WIN user dbpower amp (costs but really good peuce of software)

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #8,627 of 45,723
The dynamic range of this thing (WM1A) is too good to be true, smooth from the softest of sounds to the loudest of sounds play very very well, never Heard such a dynaic range smoothness

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #8,628 of 45,723
​Mac user XLD lossless decoder, WIN user dbpower amp (costs but really good peuce of software)

That dbpower looks good! I'm still new to this audiophile thing still don't know how difference between wave and flac xD. Do I really need to convert if I going for the wm1A

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #8,629 of 45,723
  I think this ticks all boxes of QP1R except UI might be subjective on individuals but it's also simple . Also QP1R has amp section , better SQ and 2 sd slots.

The amp section of QP1R is much weaker than the WM1 on balance, and better SQ is subjective because the WM1 measures great, right up to AK380 level.  And no way the QP1R measures up to the WM1 battery life. 

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #8,630 of 45,723
  Hi all. I'm currently using the Toxic Cables Silver Widow terminated with 3.5mm rhodium plug. 

Would i be able to enjoy the full benefits of the WM1A's 4.4mm balanced output by re-terminating the Silver Widow cable using a 4.4mm balanced connector?

Or do i have to buy dedicated balanced cables (if there's such a thing)?

Sorry for the noob question. Thanks!

Best option would be to contact Frank @Toxic Cables and ask him to reterminate your cable with the new 4.4 plugs. That's what i did with my Silver Poison

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #8,631 of 45,723
HamsterKing said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

That dbpower looks good! I'm still new to this audiophile thing still don't know how difference between wave and flac xD. Do I really need to convert if I going for the wm1A

Not necessarily, but you would fit less songs in WAVE tan in FLAC, flac is like zip but for audio, meaning it is lossless compression ​what it does according to what i have read. it analyzes the bit patterns and finds repetitions so it grabs these repeated sequences and replaces for a smaller value, and during playback the algorithm just seeks on its dicitionary table the value corresponding to the original and essentially you play the same wave file

A 700MB wave album can be compressed between 300 to 500MB on average, depends on the complexity of the music for the extent of the compressionm for  a 2GB wave in 24 bit, you can compress with flac to 800MB to 1.40GB.

so you can fit for every 16/44.1KHz wave album, 2 to 3 Flac albums

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #8,632 of 45,723

The amp section of QP1R is much weaker than the WM1 on balance, and better SQ is subjective because the WM1 measures great, right up to AK380 level.  And no way the QP1R measures up to the WM1 battery life. 

sure, measurement. If it's up to someone who never owned both of the product to conclude so. It's the opposite in fact. 

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #8,633 of 45,723
@HamsterKing your process will be much faster than mine,as you would tell dbpoweramp where your wave albums reside and let it overnight converting

Mine was panistaking re-rip all my CDs and redownload everything i had purchased in flac or rebuy in flac what i had in itunes AAC.

before flac i had mp3 192kbps LOL 300GB, for my case i had to buy a larger Hard drive to accomodate the jump (which now my lib is 820GB), your case your hard drive will thank you rducing the space of the storage need by all those waves

and a Plus FLAC supports Tagging, wave doesn't and the process is reversible as flac is lossless, so you can convert the flacs back to wave or to apple lossless if you wish lossless to lossless there is no degradation

Feb 3, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #8,634 of 45,723

@rushofblood need your thoughts on this.

Feb 3, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #8,637 of 45,723
For all of you who can afford and want to buy the gold Walkman.
Why did you decided to do so, and why not go for AK380 or AK380 Cu.
Is it the long battery life or what else? The AK can do Tidal but you all know already :wink:
So tell us why Sony and not AK?

Well, I compared the 1Z with my friend's 380+amp (not the Cu version, and I'd never pay for a different metal anyway) before getting it.

The 1Z just had a much fuller sound to me, with wonderful richness and dynamics, the AK sounded thin and lifeless in comparison. Having used the ZX2 previously, I only had hesitation about the lack of streaming apps, but ultimately I loved the SQ (via balanced) too much and went for it.

And if you like AK, go for it? I don't think anyone here will try to tell you how to spend your cash. I don't think anyone here actually works for Sony, we don't have to convince you of anything, go hear for yourself and make your own best choice, I certainly did.

Feb 3, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #8,638 of 45,723
For all of you who can afford and want to buy the gold Walkman.
Why did you decided to do so, and why not go for AK380 or AK380 Cu.
Is it the long battery life or what else? The AK can do Tidal but you all know already :wink:
So tell us why Sony and not AK?

Are you thinking of buying the 1Z / 1A ?

Feb 3, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #8,639 of 45,723
Walkmans will always have that superb sound quality and battery life. Used to won a Fiio x3 first gen and oly playing 16/44.1 FLACs i got mere 6 hours of plaback time, not to mention with every FW updates they messed with the sound quality, sometimes sounded so damn good, sometimes it sounded bad, that had to downgrade to previous FW.

Sony WM1 UI may be laggy (stuutery besser Word), well if you ever had a fiio x3 1st gen
biggrin.gif
​ you had to wait 1 minute for it to build the ALL SONGS list and nearly 30 minutes to build the entire Dtabase from scratch, that was laggy haha

But yeah it had USB DAC function and sounded better tan iPods

I do agree with @nanaholic Walkmans can't be rivaled in the SQ/Battery life status they have always had, amuses me that they increae power 4 times that of zx100 and they still manage to deliver great battery life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back