SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 4, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #42,468 of 45,723
Aug 4, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #42,469 of 45,723
Science is governed by the latest theory that looks to explain an event the most satisfactorily, until it's either mis-proven or a new theory comes up with a better explanation.

Which in other words - work in progress. People treat that as a dirty word due to casual usage in everyday life, but it's not a bad thing in science.

Just like the word "theory" means different things when used in the daily sense compared to its scientific meaning.

Aug 4, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #42,471 of 45,723
Aug 4, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #42,472 of 45,723
We live in an imperfect world. Transducer technology from microphones to headphones still cannot record and playback music perfectly as it sounded originally if you were there at the point of recording.

I feel what’s most important in any audio equipment is the enjoyment factor over the absolute technical measurements.

Take for example enabling DSEE HX AI destroys the purist notion of Bit Perfect sound aka as intended by the Musician. However I find myself more engaged to the music with this DSP enabled as it alters how impactful certain musical notes sounds.

End of the day we are selecting equipment so as to enjoy good sounding music with our ears and not creating a technical chart to list which equipment has the highest SNR and lowest THD.

Who can objectively hear that 0.01% difference in total harmonic distortion between the two DAP?

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #42,473 of 45,723
There had been so many times I contemplated selling my NW-WM1A to fund the purchase of another DAP (the closest being the Cayin N6ii). But at the very last minute I somehow abandon such plans because of its combination of its clean yet dynamic sound, fast UI, and exceptional battery life. To think that I sold my Chord Hugo 1 and Sony PCM-D100 to give way to it, the WM1A has surpassed all my expectations and has always proven its performance and reliability, moreso after installing Mr Walkman's latest WM1A/Z++ firmware.

50190688142_ba369eeafb_c.jpg

Aug 4, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #42,474 of 45,723
I’m wondering if anyone here has heard or owned both the WM1A and the ZX300? There’s obviously a significant price difference between these models, especially when it comes to a used ZX300 but I’m wondering if you can tell me what the primary differences between them are? Is the 3.5 jack on the WM1A good, as opposed to the apparent necessity to use the balanced out of the ZX300? Any significant differences in UI or usability? Thanks!

Aug 4, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #42,475 of 45,723
I’m wondering if anyone here has heard or owned both the WM1A and the ZX300? There’s obviously a significant price difference between these models, especially when it comes to a used ZX300 but I’m wondering if you can tell me what the primary differences between them are? Is the 3.5 jack on the WM1A good, as opposed to the apparent necessity to use the balanced out of the ZX300? Any significant differences in UI or usability? Thanks!

I almost purchased a ZX300 when they first came out. I, at the time.......already had possession of the 1A and 1Z. To me the ZX300 is way warmer than the 1A. Also the UI is the same but the screen is smaller, I think? It does not have the same output power as the 1A, if I remember right.

The thing is this new firmware makes the 1A so spectacular, and while I have not investigated the potential for extra firmware being able to bring the ZX300 up to a new and different level; it’s seems it would be quite the stretch (just guessing) for the ZX300 to compete in any way with what the 1A is doing using MrWalkman switcher and 1A/Z+?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #42,476 of 45,723

Having tried both the ZX300 and WM1A side-by-side, I can say that the sound quality difference between the two is quite huge. If I didn't have the WM1A, the ZX300 would've performed admirably but it sounded lifeless, boxed-in, and lacking dynamic range and resolution vis-a-vis the WM1A, regardless of the HP jack used (i.e., SE or balanced). My analogy would be comparing a transistor radio to a stereo component system. I was even surprised with the difference; prior to A/B-ing the two, I thought the ZX300 wouldn't be ceding too much to the WM1A.

Aug 4, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #42,477 of 45,723
Having tried both the ZX300 and WM1A side-by-side, I can say that the sound quality difference between the two is quite huge. If I didn't have the WM1A, the ZX300 would've performed admirably but it sounded lifeless, boxed-in, and lacking dynamic range and resolution vis-a-vis the WM1A, regardless of the HP jack used (i.e., SE or balanced). My analogy would be comparing a transistor radio to a stereo component system. I was even surprised with the difference; prior to A/B-ing the two, I thought the ZX300 wouldn't be ceding too much to the WM1A.

This!

Aug 4, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #42,478 of 45,723
I have zx100 not as good as zx300 but i can confirm all of this diferences! dough its very portable!

Aug 4, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #42,479 of 45,723
I really wish Sony would release a MK2 version of the 1A/1Z as I won't be able to buy anything, excluding the WM1A, until November or December. The LPGT has many strengths, but so do the Sony offerings.

Does anyone use Legend X or Phantom with the WM1Z? Is it too warm of a combination? I always hear the WM1Z is warm, but so are those two IEMs. This is what makes the LPGT appealing as I can leave it neutral or make it warmer with the fabulous PEQ. By the time I buy later in the year, there may be new firmwares for both WM1Z and LPGT that tilt it one way or the other.

Aug 4, 2020 at 11:46 PM Post #42,480 of 45,723

ZX300 shares the same S-Master HX chip as WM1A. I would think that the significant contributing factor for the sound differences is due to firmware tuning.

Custom firmware for ZX300 should narrow the differences.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back