1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
  1. szore
    My 1a won't recognize my BTR3...

2. Vitaly2017

Well I think it really depends down the line how you intend to use hugo2, it is definitely a winner if you have very hard headphones to drive like planars or 300 ohm stuff. I can tell you that hugo2 sounded amazing out of wm1z lmao. It made the sound like a hybrid between 1z and hugo2, was really good.

but wm1z on it self is also very refined just with less power. So I'd say 1z for regular headphones from 8 to 150 ohm is awsome, over that hugo2 can do a better job with power feed.

Soundstage wise I'd say both are very stellar, no problems on this segment neather of them.

Maybe separation goes to hugo2 it was very very precise things happens very quickly with chord, it was easy to hear instruments and they where quiet loud and right here close to me.
    1z separation is more analog like, you can sens distance, 3d directional projection of instruments some notes are louder others less... In 1z and ier-z1r sound kinda changes according the recording so it was kinda in a distance while hugo2 seems very neer you...
    In hugo2 everything was loud and very dynamic I felt it overpowered my ier-z1r and it made it sound uneven slightly. Too much bass and treble where more prominent to. No matter what filters I tried on hugo2 it never really made any big difference very very subtle around 2 % to 5%.

I have note as well that in my use with hugo2 made too much noise from interference, I dont know why but I had some weird squiiwerk crack like from right channel. It was like a Bluetooth noise somewhat, and hence I was in usb mode on hugo2 ! wifi off and Bluetooth off !
    Overall I find hugo2 to sensitive to its environment and easily catches any distortion, I guess it hates cellphones lmao
    I had tried it with samsung s9, and my 1z have 0 issue and cracks nether pops nothing when used in bluetooth of usb dac mode.

1z only issue is to low power output a better amp section is greatly improving sound in my opinion.

3. hireslover
    What firmware do you have running on the 1Z if you don't mind me asking?

4. Vitaly2017

The latest 3.02 and no I dont hear differences in Firmwares they are quiet the same in my opinion.

Virtu Fortuna, heimis and phonomat like this.
  5. meomap
    How about 1Z with ALO CDM tubes amp?

6. Vitaly2017

Havent studied that part yet, could be an interesting option to.

Hmmm according to this specs, the CDM dont seems to be that strong in output Mw.

Single Ended

80mW into 32 ohms

95mW into 50 ohms

75mW into 150 ohms

60mW into 300 ohms

Balanced

125mW into 32 ohms

145mW into 50 ohms

110mW into 150 ohms

95mW into 300 ohms

Plus it uses a 2.5mm wich a bummer :frowning2: all my cables are 4.4, and if you compare it to oriolus ba300s spec wise it seems as a better choice

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  7. hireslover
    Thanks for replying. Fw 3.02 is fine in my opinion

8. meomap
    I have 2.5mm to 2.5mm Pure Silver IC made for me from DHC. Use 2.5mm to 4.44 mm into 1Z balanced output to CDM 2.5 mm Input.
    Sounds fantastic with Khan, 10K, Encore, AFC , and Utopia.
    I can do tubes rolling as well.
    I've heard someone mentioned PhatLab tube amp is better than CDM, but it's very expensive. That person starts to sell CDM after comparing to PL amp.
    I am enjoying what I have right now. Hopefully, you will find yours.

Vitaly2017 likes this.
  9. gerelmx1986
    @Vitaly2017 has mentioned that the wm1z is immune to electronic interference such as from cell phones . So does the wm1A immune to EMI. Sony did a great job shielding their latest daps from EMI. Since my A17 walkman havent noticed interference pops and crackling. In older walkman such as.my x1060 every time I passed behind a cell phone I got even hum

Sp12er3 and Vitaly2017 like this.
  10. gerelmx1986
    I have noticed that the bass of the MDR-Z1R van reach the bass line f IER-Z1R in texture using the H gain
    15687351449357950135163691365467.jpg

Sp12er3 and Vitaly2017 like this.
  11. Vitaly2017

Hmmm hmmm someone need to practice photo focus next time
    :stuck_out_tongue::eye::eyes:

12. nc8000 Contributor
    I suspect his eyesight is not back to normal after his cataract operation

purk and Vitaly2017 like this.
  13. gerelmx1986
    I'd rather use my sony alpha next time

Vitaly2017 likes this.
  14. Sp12er3
    Have you checked what mode the LDAC is on? When its in "highest quality" I find LDAC connection is quite spotty, when its in "best effort" tho. Its working fine a couole meters away.

BTR3 has pretty bad receptors IMO, figures as only that front acrylic panel can be used to pass signal.
    Cheaper Plastic models from Fiio i hear did better.

15. szore
    The BTR3 will not pair with my 1a, it's not recognized. Any ideas?