SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 10, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #29,596 of 45,723
I can only think that these new walkmans may have the poorest battery life among all sony daps and even compared to their very old mp3 players.

That would be my guess as well

Sep 10, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #29,598 of 45,723
I can only think that these new walkmans may have the poorest battery life among all sony daps and even compared to their very old mp3 players.
It actually looks pretty good, according to the specs. It looks like the DAC/AMP accounts for much of the battery usage, and not the Android OS. The S-Master is the difference between the ZX500 and other Android DAPs
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/walkman/nw-zx500-series/specifications

BATTERY LIFE - CONTINUOUS PLAYBACK MUSIC
MP3 (128kbps) / Stereo mini-jack: 20 hours,MP3 (128kbps) / Balanced standard-jack: 19 hours,AAC (256kbps) / Stereo mini-jack: 20 hours,AAC (256kbps) / Balanced standard-jack: 19 hours, FLAC (192kHz / 24bit) / Stereo mini-jack: 16 hours,FLAC (192kHz / 24bit) / Balanced standard-jack: 15 hours,DSD (2.8224MHz / 1bit) / Stereo mini-jack: 10 hours,DSD (2.8224MHz / 1bit) / Balanced standard-jack: 9 hours
CHARGING TIME (FULL CHARGE)
Approx. 6.5 hrs

Sep 10, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #29,599 of 45,723
Its just weird because bluetooth dac and usb dac where added via software update to 1a and 1z.
So what was the big deal with zx500 not having this option. What if I need these features hmmm? Even if it drains battery duh!

On other hand I am very happy to see sony going to android cause lot of people use streaming services and I do it 99% of the time. So this zx500 is exactly what I always wanted to have.

Big question any one knows if spotify/tidal can work with offline diwnloaded content?

Sep 10, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #29,600 of 45,723
Its just weird because bluetooth dac and usb dac where added via software update to 1a and 1z.
So what was the big deal with zx500 not having this option. What if I need these features hmmm? Even if it drains battery duh!

On other hand I am very happy to see sony going to android cause lot of people use streaming services and I do it 99% of the time. So this zx500 is exactly what I always wanted to have.

Big question any one knows if spotify/tidal can work with offline diwnloaded content?

Sony decided that with support for native streaming usb dac and BT receiver are not needed. I would expect offline contents should work but until the products are released and somebody try it out we won’t know

Sep 10, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #29,601 of 45,723

Assuming you always have your phone with you, BT receive mode on current Sony DAPs give you full streaming capability, especially if you have LDAC. In my case I subscribe to Apple Music so the AAC receive mode gives me full resolution streaming from my iPhone since AAC is native to Apple Music. Personally, I don't see a scenario where I only have my DAP with me but no phone.

Sep 10, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #29,602 of 45,723
Assuming you always have your phone with you, BT receive mode on current Sony DAPs give you full streaming capability, especially if you have LDAC. In my case I subscribe to Apple Music so the AAC receive mode gives me full resolution streaming from my iPhone since AAC is native to Apple Music. Personally, I don't see a scenario where I only have my DAP with me but no phone.

I dont know if src affects Bluetooth dac feature. Or if it is really full res without any up or down sample.
But my 1z sounds 5% better in usb dac mode and it shows 48khz rate no matter what

Sep 10, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #29,603 of 45,723
Speaking of processing that drains battery...

How do you find the DSEE-HX to be? Does it seem to improve sounds? In what instance (it says it is intended to improve for lower-bit-rate songs, e.g., below CD rates).

Sep 10, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #29,604 of 45,723
I dont know if src affects Bluetooth dac feature. Or if it is really full res without any up or down sample.
But my 1z sounds 5% better in usb dac mode and it shows 48khz rate no matter what

If you see the fixed sample rate for 48 kHz, then your source is upsampling prior to sending to your 1z so it is not bit perfect. However, if that sounds better to you, then go for it.

Sep 10, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #29,605 of 45,723
Speaking of processing that drains battery...

How do you find the DSEE-HX to be? Does it seem to improve sounds? In what instance (it says it is intended to improve for lower-bit-rate songs, e.g., below CD rates).

I dont like that features its always off for me.

All it does is add fake notes in the upper treble region.

As a result, its to bright and zings way to much to my liking. It sounds unatural.

Id say it might be good headphones who lacks the sparkles okey. But not iems and specialy my z1r,s

Sep 11, 2019 at 1:26 AM Post #29,606 of 45,723

Actually no. The Apple Music files are decoded, then mixed with other sounds from your phone and then again encoded to aac before being send over BT so you get a double encoding of the original music

Sep 11, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #29,607 of 45,723
Actually no. The Apple Music files are decoded, then mixed with other sounds from your phone and then again encoded to aac before being send over BT so you get a double encoding of the original music

That's interesting. Where did you get that info? My understanding is an AAC encoded file/stream should transmit via Bluetooth AAC codec unaltered.

Sep 11, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #29,608 of 45,723
That's interesting. Where did you get that info? My understanding is an AAC encoded file/stream should transmit via Bluetooth AAC codec unaltered.

It has to work that way in order to mix in other sounds from your phone like in game sounds if you play a game at the same time as music, notifications and so on. There is nothing like Windows kernel mode where one proccocess can gain exclusive control over the sound path. Now whether this is actually audible/noticable is another matter

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #29,609 of 45,723
It has to work that way in order to mix in other sounds from your phone like in game sounds if you play a game at the same time as music, notifications and so on. There is nothing like Windows kernel mode where one proccocess can gain exclusive control over the sound path. Now whether this is actually audible/noticable is another matter

I have never heard more than one sound source on my iPhone. When I get a ring, playback is temporarily suspended. When I open an app, the music stream stops immediately unless I disable sound in the app. Lastly, even if I could play sound from multiple sources that can easily be done via hardware MUX. Since sound frequency is only 20 kHz, a MUX can play multiple separate streams, but make it appear as one blended sound. Same concept as network switch. Absolutely no need to convert AAC to PCM, then remix everything to PCM, then recode to AAC. If this is how Apple implemented their digital audio, I would be shocked because it would be unnecessary CPU cycles. I am purely speculating here since I don't know how Apple implemented their hardware.

Sep 11, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #29,610 of 45,723
I have never heard more than one sound source on my iPhone. When I get a ring, playback is temporarily suspended. When I open an app, the music stream stops immediately unless I disable sound in the app. Lastly, even if I could play sound from multiple sources that can easily be done via hardware MUX. Since sound frequency is only 20 kHz, a MUX can play multiple separate streams, but make it appear as one blended sound. Same concept as network switch. Absolutely no need to convert AAC to PCM, then remix everything to PCM, then recode to AAC. If this is how Apple implemented their digital audio, I would be shocked because it would be unnecessary CPU cycles. I am purely speculating here since I don't know how Apple implemented their hardware.

When I play music and at the same time WordFeud the game sounds appear in my headphones whitout pausing the music. The same for the call ringer and sms notification sound so it has to work as I describe unless multiple channels can be mixed in the aac domain as only one sound stream is send over the bt connection so it has to contain all sounds. Also if playing mp3, flac or other music it needs to be converted before being send over the bt connection

This link describes the re encoding
https://www.google.dk/amp/s/www.sou...-guide-to-bluetooth-headphones-aac-20296/amp/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back