1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
  1. Liono
    Looks like an old A series to me..?

2. normie610
    Seems that I’m the only one who cannot hear the difference with the new 3.02 FW :)

phonomat, Redcarmoose and candlejack like this.
  3. nc8000 Contributor
    I have generally not been able to detect the differences between any of the fw. My audio memory does not stretch far enough to cover the time it takes to load a new fw and rebuild the library

AeroSatan, phonomat and normie610 like this.
  4. Redcarmoose
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  5. Redcarmoose
    That would be half good as not only do you not have something new to like; but you also don’t have a thing to dislike.

normie610 likes this.
  6. Quadfather
    I like 1.2 plenty.

7. endlesswaves
    One difference between FW 3.01 and 3.02 is that in 3.01 normally with tambourine, I would just hear a single note now with 3.02 I can hear each individual pairs of metals jingles in this song Beyond - 真的爱你 (sorry peeps that doesn't read chinese)

Kind of torn between 3.01 and 3.02 now. There are times with certain songs I missed the thicker notes of 3.01 but most of the time enjoying the extra details and air with 3.02.

Best is I can go back to 3.01 anytime I want. Appreciate the efforts from Sony to continue on improving on the WM1A/Z launched 3 years ago.

NickL33, roses77, Aslshark and 4 others like this.
  8. gerelmx1986
    I stayed with 3.01 at the end, it benefits noth IERs I have

Redcarmoose likes this.
  9. heimis
    I feel that headache again^^

10. endlesswaves
    I used to think FX1200 was the best IEM ever made. Won't know if you don't try. For my case, it might have been better if I didn't try other IEMs after owning the FX1200. But in your case, you will have your WM1A tomorrow. It will only take some of your time to try the WM1A with different firmwares to get the best match with your current IEMs. Such options are not readily available with other DAPs. Hope you enjoy your explorations. ^^

heimis likes this.
  11. heimis
    What I would prefer is to switch the 1A on, LOVE what I hear and then get on with my life :) I guess I`ll know soon enough^^

phonomat likes this.
  12. ttt123
    All the comments are trying to be helpful, but in the end, you don't need to follow any of it. If you want to turn it on, enjoy it, and not bother with any of the different firmwares, that is fine. You can leave it like that indefinitely, or change your mind at some point. Purely your choice, and whatever you feel comfortable with.

13. heimis
    I know they are trying to help and they absolutely have!! But I`m not an analytical listener like many on this forum. I don`t need to get those extra 5% micro details as almost all the music I listen to is electronic music like Trance and House.

So again I`m not trying to offend anyone here at all. I`m just being honest, speaking my mind and so on..

Deftone and phonomat like this.
  14. Vlad0
    I'm very picky regarding sound with my 1A. I like 1.2 and 3.01 only till now.
    Installed 3.02 and with N3 ...just WAW, such a change, sound-stage is huge! Bass is there, when is needed with enough quantity and quality. I use vinyl option only, not EQ. Pretty sure that WAW effect will gone with my other IEMs but time will tell. For now 3.02 stays.

Peter Ruby and Redcarmoose like this.
  15. Peter Ruby
    When I purchased my WM1A about 2 months ago, came with 3.01 installed already.

Reading this thread has me curious as to how the other firmwares sound. I was fine with 3.01, but after hearing 3.02, There’s zero chance I’m switching back.

Aslshark likes this.