1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
  1. Redcarmoose
    https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-ier-z1r-new-flagship.886120/page-336#post-15158233

It’s a big improvement being that the bass was curtailed in. Now the 1Z and MDR combo has a cool defined bass character. Though take note the combo (while maybe better) is not a joining I use that much as I use IEMs more.

So for me the move made the IER-Z1R better and MDR better but 3.02 is too thin and midcentric for my Encore IEMs. Really 3.01 had a more meaty lower midrange and sub-bass enhancement. I haven’t had time yet, but can only imagine the new tone will also be charming with the N3 and Z5 and additionally the Z7?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    Midnstorms and Aslshark like this.
  2. roses77
    I already know how to update firmware but I need to charge my Sony WM1Z first. I was asking if anyone else did to report back and write their impressions. Thanks

3. nc8000 Contributor
    OK. There are a number of impressions in the latest pages of this thread

roses77 likes this.
  4. gerelmx1986
    @Redcarmoose did you upgrade the wm1A fo 3.02? If yes, did you like th color mbo with IER-Z1R/MDR-Z1R?

5. Redcarmoose
    Curiosity always kills the cat with me. Just updated, but will not listen till tonight. My guess is that it will be amazing, only because there is so much leeway in bass attenuation left to go with the IER. The 3.02....I feel was tailor-made for their flagship IEM. I did get a chance to hear the N3 and 1Z combo today and of course it was the best the N3 ever sounded. Just a clean and detailed “airy” experience. 3.02 really is a tidy-up for the N3. IMO

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  6. Redcarmoose
    Much of the update may be the new-toy phenomenon. The basic fact is the update is much like getting a new DAP. If it goes with all IEMs/headphones and musical taste is yet to be discovered.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  7. gerelmx1986
    I downgraded to previous FW 3.01 thanks to @nc8000 dropbox . The thing of 3.02 is meant for 1Z, made the IER-Z1R on the wm1A a bit hot and sibilant

Redcarmoose likes this.
  8. ccschua
    Now I can listen to avenged sevenfold this means war.

Version 2 is unlistenable

9. Redcarmoose
    Interesting? 3.02 does have that slightly intense treble area. Haven’t heard it yet with the 1A......... but guessing I thought it would have been a lower midrange issue with the 1A? Surprised to hear it’s a treble issue?

10. ElecHires
    Hello,
    I have a question, if I want to change the battery on my Wm1z which model can I take ? and were ?
    Thanks by advance

11. nc8000 Contributor
    There are links somewhere within this thread, probably over a year ago

12. ElecHires
    Yep I found it thank you

13. gazzington
    Use your eq a bit people. If the treble is too high with your iems bring it down with the eq

14. Whitigir
    EQ is great, but isn’t the point of high quality music is to not use Digital EQ as much as possible ? Digital EQ is using DSP algorithms to alternate the original processing from the firmware, the brand, the files. There is only 1 way to EQ with analog, and that is using analog EQ. Use analog EQ instead ? Lol

KuroKitsu and roses77 like this.
  15. roses77
    Yes I did read the impressions. I’ve updated mine, and I do like the latest firmware update 3.02 on direct source as you don’t need to use EQ. Sony nailed it, it has an very wide soundstage, 3D Sound, better instrument seperation, Surround Sound, the vocals are more forward. Just make sure the music is very well recorded & remastered CDs sound fantastic. It matches well with Sony WM-1AM2, I listened to it SE. It’s very musical and warm.

Redcarmoose likes this.