1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
  1. Whitigir
    I do hear sub bass improved in control and resolution with my DMP and new firmware. The DMP is very different than WM series and it seems they share the same tuning and firmware developers ...lol

2. ttt123
    You could reverse map from the pinout, to the location on the circuit board. Thinking about all the pins, mapping different layouts, smd contacts, etc., I would not want to try. Replacing the WMPort looks like the best solution. Must be able to find one somewhere.

3. Whitigir
    Yeah..that sounds like a hell lot of works to do. Is there published WMport pins out yet ?

I dont even know where to buy stock Authentic Sony Wmport receptacle....anyone knows where ?

I think the easiest thing to do is to get another unit....much more simple

4. ttt123
    The WMport pinout was in my previous post.

https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyWMPort
    Overview

This page documents what is known about the Sony WM-Port. It appears that this port could have two versions: 1.0 and 2.0 but the difference is probably only in software or marketing.
    Electrical

Pinout

The WM-Port uses a 22-pin connector. It uses the following layout:

Pin Direction Name Meaning
    1 GND Ground
    2 RESERVED (OTG)
    3 D+ USB Data
    4 D- USB Data
    5 GND USB Ground
    6 RESERVED
    7 IN VIN Vin (5V)
    8 IN RXD/WAKE RxD/Wake
    9 IN CRD_AD Cradle Detect
    10 OUT TXD/SLEEP TxD/Sleep
    11 IN USB_DET USB Detect (VBUS)
    12 OUT UNREG_OUT Battery (VBAT)
    13 IN AU_L_IN Left Audio In
    14 OUT AU_L_OUT Left Audio Out
    15 AU_COM Audio Ground
    16 IN AU_R_IN Right Audio In
    17 OUT AU_R_OUT Right Audio Out
    18 VIDEO-GND/GND Video Ground
    19 VIDEO-IN/OUT/OPEN Video In/Out
    20 IN DCIN DC Detect (VDCIN)
    21 OUT DIGITAL_OUT/OPEN Digital Audio Out
    22 GND Ground

Power

Pin 7 is always powered with the available voltage. Pin 20 and 11 can be used to distinguish between DC and USB as follows:
    • connected to USB: pin 7 and 11 powered
    • connected to DC: pin 7 and 20 powered

Whitigir likes this.
  5. Whitigir
    Is there any good place to buy authentic Sony WM Port yet ? I am just curious.

Also, considering there is only 1 side to plug in WM port...what exactly is port #1 ?

I no longer have anything using WM port, but my curiosity is big

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  6. ttt123
    Haven't found any. It's only used by Sony, and there are probably not many requests to replace the Female socket on a MB, that maybe only Sony has these.

7. Nayparm
    And then we can use this to get the to where we want. I did it on a zx300 with a micro-usb when I couldn't find a wmport socket to buy but should be straight forward with the below usbc socket.

1agHR.png

41EcI0HKdAL._SX425_.jpg

Whitigir likes this.
  8. gazzington
    Having Sony players with usb c would be awesome. Easier to charge and easier to attach to an amp

Nayparm likes this.
  9. Whitigir
    Can I see your zx300 and how u got USB C ? And you are using typical digital cables to connect from and to the PCB ?

10. nc8000 Contributor
    I don't see why it's easier, you still need a cable, just with a different plug

Whitigir likes this.
  11. Whitigir
    I still think it is much easier to return the defected player to the seller. Unless you bought it so cheap that it is worth it to replace these ports

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    Nayparm likes this.
  12. Nayparm
    It wasn't my zx300, i can message the guy for external pics. This was with a microusb not usb-c but I have one of those usb-c sockets to go in my xuelin to convert it from microusb.

I used kynar wire 30awg, which i use to use for console mods and repairs.

13. Nayparm
    Usb-c are way easier to plug in than the wmport, its a little finicky sometimes.

14. roses77
    Sony Has Updated Firmware for the WM1Z and WM1A 3.02. Please update and let me know if think it has changed the SQ. They’ve added more features.

15. nc8000 Contributor
    Read the last 5-10 pages of this thread. You could also do the update yourself to find out

roses77 likes this.