SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 26, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #29,252 of 45,723
What about the DMP Z2 not to mention DMP Z3 :wink:
DMP Z2 wont be even close for another 5 or 8 years....judging from how long wm1z isnt even being replaced yet

That is not to mention the engineering aspects that have all gone into building DMP Z1. There is nothing like it on the market

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #29,253 of 45,723
There wont be any higher end than DMP Z1 :)

You know I looked at dmp dimensions and hell its quiet a big box. Not as transportable as I thought. Its like carrying chord dave with you.

I would like sony to release a type of 1z is 10 times the most 1z size with desktop performance and half dmp price!

A Z500 to replace/superceed ZX300 is coming

Ohh wonder if it going to surprise 1z hihi
I heard zx300 and quiet liked it very close to 1z

What about the DMP Z2 not to mention DMP Z3 :wink:

At this pace youd better just buy a car the nissan Z hahaha

Aug 26, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #29,254 of 45,723
I’ve not compared it to the 1Z or the Calyx, but I’ve connected the Monoprice AAA THX to the 1A with great results and the Little Bear B4 Tube amp with good results.

Did you experience any hiss noise with the monoprice? Is it good for iems?

Aug 27, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #29,255 of 45,723
I heard zx300 and quiet liked it very close to 1z

i heard that 1a is somehow better than zx300 , so that means that 1a must be closer to 1z than what i think....

Aug 27, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #29,256 of 45,723
i heard that 1a is somehow better than zx300 , so that means that 1a must be closer to 1z than what i think....
1A is not far away from 1Z. Different sound signature is real between different choices of components. Both should be on similar level as they are from the same engineered architectural

Even the 1A itself is built with quality components that you don’t see on SP1000, and I am sure of that. MELF resistors are high quality resistors dedicated toward audio performances. PML caps and Electrolytic caps are high quality for that. Except the caps and being used on 1A is from Phillips itself, while the 1Z caps and resistors are customized under Sony specs. I am not sure from which manufacturers, but there are a little differences

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #29,257 of 45,723
To my surprise I find 1z to bring high a little to high. I at first thought it was the ier-z1r but no... I hooked my z1r to my other audio gear and highs didnt extended as high as it was with 1z!

I wonder if 1a is same as 1z or does it offer less high in comparison to 1z?

I always thought 1z to be the warmest and thickest sounding dap. But feels like it still shows signs of brightness...

1A is not far away from 1Z. Different sound signature is real between different choices of components. Both should be on similar level as they are from the same engineered architectural

Even the 1A itself is built with quality components that you don’t see on SP1000, and I am sure of that. MELF resistors are high quality resistors dedicated toward audio performances. PML caps and Electrolytic caps are high quality for that. Except the caps and being used on 1A is from Phillips itself, while the 1Z caps and resistors are customized under Sony specs. I am not sure from which manufacturers, but there are a little differences

Aug 28, 2019 at 6:38 AM Post #29,258 of 45,723
So I`m going to buy the 1A in a couple of days.
Here is the thing.. I DEFINITELY want the Japanese version and I`ll be getting it from Ebay from Japanese sellers like all my other Sony gear. BUT everyone is writing big warnings about the display being Japanese only.
Has anyone any experience with this or know if there is any way around it?

I have the Japanese version of the ZX2 and with that I just chose English display language the first time I switched it on and I`ve been good ever since..

Aug 28, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #29,259 of 45,723
So I`m going to buy the 1A in a couple of days.
Here is the thing.. I DEFINITELY want the Japanese version and I`ll be getting it from Ebay from Japanese sellers like all my other Sony gear. BUT everyone is writing big warnings about the display being Japanese only.
Has anyone any experience with this or know if there is any way around it?

I have the Japanese version of the ZX2 and with that I just chose English display language the first time I switched it on and I`ve been good ever since..

What's the reason for the Japanese version?
If it's because of the EU volume cap then that's simple to remove.

I may be wrong but I think there is/was a Japanese only domestic version and a Japanese Tourist version with English.

You could also buy a US, Australian version etc if you don't want to have to remove volume cap but i realistically it only takes a few mins.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 7:03 AM Post #29,260 of 45,723

I may be wrong but I think there is/was a Japanese only domestic version and a Japanese Tourist version with English.

You could also buy a US, Australian version etc
I've been finding it weird that people desperately want the non EU version of the Sony players. It's very easy to remove that cap

Aug 28, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #29,261 of 45,723

Yes it`s mainly because of the volume cap! I use the EU version ZX1 for work and every so often it turns the volume all the way down telling me to "check the volume level". It infuriates me beyond belief :p

Also there is something mentally for me knowing that it`s a Japanese version. ALL my other Sony gear is Japanese versions so I`d like to continue down that path^^

Aug 28, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #29,262 of 45,723
Yes it`s mainly because of the volume cap! I use the EU version ZX1 for work and every so often it turns the volume all the way down telling me to "check the volume level". It infuriates me beyond belief :p

Also there is something mentally for me knowing that it`s a Japanese version. ALL my other Sony gear is Japanese versions so I`d like to continue down that path^^

On the ZX1 and 2 you could not remove the volume cap but on all the players based on the Sony OS you can just use the RockBox tool to change region and thereby remove the cap, enable features and change gui language

Aug 28, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #29,263 of 45,723
On the ZX1 and 2 you could not remove the volume cap but on all the players based on the Sony OS you can just use the RockBox tool to change region and thereby remove the cap, enable features and change gui language

That`s very helpful information! Thanx!

Aug 28, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #29,264 of 45,723
Problem solved. Found a seller on Ebay located in Osaka, Japan and this is what he wrote in the description:

My Products are 100% Authentic and Ship from JAPAN.
ITEM DESCRIPTION

SONY High-Res Walkman Portable audio player NW-WM1A BM 128G international model

Condition: New (unopened)

This model Headphones are not included
This Overseas Models does not correspond to use in Japan
It has been adapted to overseas electrical circumstances, and the menu language can also be displayed in foreign languages including English. In addition, instruction manuals of foreign languages are also included.
Manual language: English, Arabic, Korean, Chinese (Traditional / Simplified)
Accessories: USB cable, wrist strap, WM - PORT cap headphone jack cap (stereo mini), headphone jack cap (balance standard)

Aug 28, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #29,265 of 45,723

I mean, all WM1* are Malaysian, technically, but whatever works for you, eh? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back