SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 4, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #29,041 of 45,723
That is very interesting, I was looking into native DSD512 materials in the SP2000 thread in the NativeDSD.com website and it mentioned Sony Signature series as one of the company that is capable to play DSD512 materials. Do they know something that we don’t know? Is Sony making a dap that hasn’t been announced? See second paragraph below.

The TAZH1ES is capable of DSD512 and is, well, in the Sony Signature series.

Aug 4, 2019 at 4:01 AM Post #29,042 of 45,723
But I thought the DMP uses the AKM 4497eq and I thought only the latest AKM 4499eq can do native 512.
You are right, DSD11 and flac192 is max in which case no Sony can do 512 I don’t think
AKM4497EQ can play 768Khz and DSD512. However, the DMP-Z1 at the moment doesn’t support DSD512. None Sony portable does...except TA as mentioned by @aminus

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019 at 4:13 AM Post #29,043 of 45,723
The TAZH1ES is capable of DSD512 and is, well, in the Sony Signature series.
Thanks, I forgot about the S-Master in the TA-ch1es. As the S-Master in the WM1Z is not able to.

Aug 4, 2019 at 4:39 AM Post #29,045 of 45,723
Aug 4, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #29,046 of 45,723
Do the Solaris iems sound good with a wm1a or should I look at something else? I like a warm sound with a bit of bass
They sound great, but they have a surprising amount of hiss. I used to own this combo and the zx300 was a much better pairing due to the sensitivity. If it's in your budget, get something like the z1r or Anole vx. Better IEMs anyway.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #29,047 of 45,723
The Maximum DSD speed I have on my library is DSD 5,6 (one album) the rest is DSD 2.8. I must yet find something I like in DSD 11.2 or DSD 22MHz

Aug 4, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #29,048 of 45,723
The 1Z is completely turned off every day after use. No NFC & Bluetooth use.
No eq setting. Display at 10. Volume at 60.
Battery is charged to 100% (battery saver not checked)
Listening Mon-Fri 45 mins to 1 hour depending on album length. No scrolling and fidgeting between plays.
Bought another Z5 with balanced. Playing FLAC 24 bit.
Storage in a plastic case near window where it’s hot outside (85-95) and room is set to 76 that’s where I think the battery is being preserved. But I could be wrong.

You are wrong, He said never on Saturday and Sunday, that equate to 40 hours for 2 months, seem very doable

What about battery lost while in idle? 40 hours seems more reasonable but if that's the case than the 1Z must also have extremely good battery life while in Idle

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #29,049 of 45,723
Well I've bought a wm1a again as I miss the one I sold. I'm looking for some good iems to go with it without spending a fortune. I like all sorts of music but mainly metal. Any suggestions?
I like good bass but also lots of detail.
Now to sell some other daps. I have way to many. Not sure which to sell, as I like them all in different ways

Aug 4, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #29,050 of 45,723
Campfire Vega

Aug 4, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #29,051 of 45,723
Well I've bought a wm1a again as I miss the one I sold. I'm looking for some good iems to go with it without spending a fortune. I like all sorts of music but mainly metal. Any suggestions?
Now to sell some other daps. I have way to many. Not sure which to sell, as I like them all in different ways

Final E5000 or Sony N3BP, both does not cost a fortune paired well with WM1A.

Aug 5, 2019 at 12:55 AM Post #29,052 of 45,723

Using oBravo's Cupid with my WM1A now. Best rumbling but layered sub bass I've heard from IEMs, clear non recessed mids and slightly rolled but detailed highs. My LCD2C gathering dusts the day the Cupid arrived. Cured my urge to get the IER-Z1R (not as good in the trebles and soundstage but on par or excel on sub bass, mid bass and mids). Best of all, doesn't burn a big hole in my wallet. The best bang of bucks IEM of 2019, IMHO)

Aug 5, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #29,053 of 45,723
@DONTGIVEUP did you try the XBA-H3 in balanced from your Wm1z? How does the sound change? I remember when I had them they had a pretty noticiable mid-bass emphasis that leaked into mids, giving them a hollow signature, a signature like listening to music on a tile-covered room (echoing with so much resonances and standing waves)

Aug 5, 2019 at 4:57 AM Post #29,054 of 45,723
The SQ of the WM1A is on another level.
Bass, resolution, treble are more refined, soundstage is wider and deeper.
I would go with the 1A, yes it's a bit larger and heavier, but it is still pretty portable.
I carry it around in my back pocket pretty much everywhere I go.
Hey guys, does anyone own both the ZX-300 and the 1A? I was contemplating on getting either one for daily use. I'm leaning towards the ZX-300 as i would be on the go most of the time and the size of it is "pocketable".

I have not listened to either one of them but i was thinking if the SQ of the 1A is worth the extra heft and size?

Thanks!

I did not spend that much time with the ZX300 but I also feel the move to the 1A is a realistic goal of end game sound quality.

To me, I was fully amazed (in a bad way) :) at walking around listening to the lower Sony line below the ZX300 also. I think it’s fairly safe to say you experience a nice upgrade as you go up the line. Though keep in mind Sony is just about to release 2 more players; if I understand things correct?

I totally agree that size is important and to be truthful I don’t carry the 1A around outside as I feel it is too big. Even the ZX300 seemed too big, so I carry a 6th Gen. IPod Touch around. It’s just that outside it seems hard to fully appreciate sound quality.

Though if my routine was going outside then walking into buildings and listening............maybe 1A would be worth taking outside? It is also a very important subject to concern yourself with sound signature; as each player in the line sounds different. The ZX300 sounded way different than the 1A. The 1A is, like it has been mentioned Sony Corp’s idea of flat. It’s not totally flat but a super subtle V in comparison to the SX300. I heard the ZX300 with a totally early firmware but it was super-warm. It was warm like the 1Z but didn’t have the treble spike which made it seem even warmer? Probably my preference is the 1Z with the Noble Audio Encore as it makes them special, but the 1A is my favorite with the IER-Z1R?

I mention this as it’s really all about finding your personal favorite sound along with the synergy with your IEMs. Each player makes the IEMs or headphones sound different when you get down to it.

Regardless of price here you will find some folks actually preferring the 1A over the 1Z. So you find people simply liking the 1A the best after owning both the 1A and 1Z. Though I don’t think we have read about people selling off their 1A due to liking the ZX300 sound the best? There may be folks who gravitate towards the ZX300 due to size?

The internal memory is really not an issue. Most anyone can get a $60 400GB card and put it in any player and it works, so internal memory is really a wash now. IMO

In my personal opinion the 1A is the best deal. It also looks like the two new players will not be sounding better? Though who knows... really????

But it looks like the 1A and 1Z will stay with the DMP-Z1 at the top of the sonic food chain for awhile. If all I had was the 1A I would be totally happy. I’m not sure I would be happy with only the ZX300.......though I never owned one?

If someone owned both the 1Z and 1A, it’s a issue of finding synergy with IEMs. If I had only the IER-Z1R, the 1A would be all I would want. But with other IEMs the 1Z offers a slightly thickened soundstage. It’s deeper with more width and physicality too. The 1Z treble and bass boost added to the soundstage makes some IEMs perform at a different level. They simply become more engaging. Though there is different styles of audiophiles. Some audiophiles like a more flat fast sound which 1A does easy. The 1Z is more of an old fashioned HI/Fi sound, like you would get with big 15 inch woofers and a tube amp. The ZX300 is like the sound you get from a low power tube amp, meaning it’s more romantic with artifacts. Though some folks are into that sound?

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 5:09 AM Post #29,055 of 45,723
I did not spend that much time with the ZX300 but I also feel the move to the 1A is a realistic goal of end game sound quality.

To me, I was fully amazed (in a bad way) :) at walking around listening to the lower Sony line below the ZX300 also. I think it’s fairly safe to say you experience a nice upgrade as you go up the line. Though keep in mind Sony is just about to release 2 more players; if I understand things correct?

I totally agree that size is important and to be truthful I don’t carry the 1A around outside as I feel it is too big. Even the ZX300 seemed to big, so I carry a 6th Gen. IPod Touch around. It’s just that outside it seems hard to fully appreciate sound quality.

Though if my routine was going outside then walking into buildings and listening............maybe 1A would be worth taking outside? It is also a very important subject to concern yourself with sound signature; as each player in the line sounds different. The ZX300 sounded way different than the 1A. The 1A is, like it has been mentioned Sony Corp’s idea of flat. It’s not totally flat but a super subtle V in comparison to the SX300. I heard the ZX300 with a totally early firmware but it was super-warm. It was warm like the 1Z but didn’t have the treble spike which made it seem even warmer? Probably my preference is the 1Z with the Noble Audio Encore as it makes them special, but the 1A is my favorite with the IER-Z1R?

I mention this as it’s really all about finding your personal favorite sound along with the synergy with your IEMs. Each player makes the IEMs or headphones sound different when you get down to it.

Regardless of price here you will find some folks actually preferring the 1A over the 1Z. So you find people simply liking the 1A the best after owning both the 1A and 1Z. Though I don’t think we have read about people selling off their 1A due to liking the ZX300 sound the best? There may be folks who gravitate towards the ZX300 due to size?

The internal memory is really not an issue. Most anyone can get a $60 400GB card and put it in any player and it works, so internal memory is really a wash now. IMO

In my personal opinion the 1A is the best deal. It also looks like the two new players will not be sounding better? Though who knows... really. But it looks like the 1A and 1Z will stay with the DMP-Z1 at the top of the sonic food chain for awhile. If all I had was the 1A I would be totally happy. I’m not sure I would be happy with only the ZX300? Though never owned one?

If someone owned both the 1Z and 1A, it’s a issue of finding synergy with IEMs. If I had only the IER-Z1R, the 1A would be all I would want. But with other IEMs the 1Z offers a slightly thickened soundstage. It’s deeper with more width and physicality too. The 1Z treble and bass boost added to the soundstage makes some IEMs perform at a different level. They simply become more engaging. Though there is different styles of audiophiles. Some audiophiles like a more flat fast sound which 1A does easy. The 1Z is more of an old fashioned HI/Fi sound, like you would get with big 15 inch woofers and a tube amp. The ZX300 is like the sound you get from a low power tube amp, meaning it’s more romantic with artifacts. Though some folks are into that sound?
I tried the zx300 here in saturn.de my test was my own FLAC files from my 400GB card, IER-Z1R with stock 4.4 cable.

The sound of the zx300 was thick, like maple syrup from log cabin brand, had bassier signature than wm1A, I felt I lacked the mids and highs resolution and micro detailing the wm1A provides. I think even it sounded worse than the wm1z I tried in Berlin earlier this year, way thicker signature, reminded me of nwz-a818 back in 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back