SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 31, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #28,981 of 45,723
I knew id get one thing wrong :) Let me rephrase then. A BASIC, lower than entry level, compared to the budget above :)
Well it depends on what your definition of basic is. If you’re talking about some **** cable or some other really cheap $30 amazon cable, stick to the stock. $200-$300 is where you start getting actual decent wiring, braiding and plugs.

Jul 31, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #28,982 of 45,723
Try this cable.
https://www.mtmtaudio.com/collections/pw-audio/products/pw-audio-limited-headphone-upgrade-cable

A quality cable will bump up resolution, improve tonality, widen soundstage.
You want cables that are properly shielded, and uses good quality metals.

Looking now! so youd say the difference would be definitely, instantly noticable, even to someone who does not have a super high trained ear for the veryyyyy small details? For example, i noticed a SUBSTANTIAL difference in basically everything going from the bundled 3.5mm cable with the andromedas to a cheap, $70AUD 4.4 cable (i mainly got it to test how it sounded, scared to pay for something i wouldnt really notice any change in!)

Jul 31, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #28,983 of 45,723
Well it depends on what your definition of basic is. If you’re talking about some **** cable or some other really cheap $30 amazon cable, stick to the stock. $200-$300 is where you start getting actual decent wiring, braiding and plugs.

Haha no not **** (is that a brand? haha) its just the store i frequent, their cheapest 4.4mm FiiO cable.

Jul 31, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #28,984 of 45,723
Looking now! so youd say the difference would be definitely, instantly noticable, even to someone who does not have a super high trained ear for the veryyyyy small details? For example, i noticed a SUBSTANTIAL difference in basically everything going from the bundled 3.5mm cable with the andromedas to a cheap, $70AUD 4.4 cable (i mainly got it to test how it sounded, scared to pay for something i wouldnt really notice any change in!)
In the case of the Andromeda impedance curves are a major factor towards the sound (that is, cables quite literally objectively change the sound of the Andromeda). Whether or not you’d notice the difference in another IEM, say, a single driver, or one with an otherwise flatter impedance curve, that’s up to you to find out.

Jul 31, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #28,985 of 45,723
Haha no not **** (is that a brand? haha) its just the store i frequent, their cheapest 4.4mm FiiO cable.
I would recommend buying a 4.4mm terminated version of whatever stock cable is supplied with whatever IEM you’re using over a FiiO cable.

Jul 31, 2019 at 8:38 PM Post #28,986 of 45,723
Yes you'll notice a difference, depending on the state of your budget cable, even a substantial one.
It can take up to 200 hours for a cable to sound its best, so keep that in mind, but right out of the box you'll hear it.

Jul 31, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #28,987 of 45,723
In the case of the Andromeda impedance curves are a major factor towards the sound (that is, cables quite literally objectively change the sound of the Andromeda). Whether or not you’d notice the difference in another IEM, say, a single driver, or one with an otherwise flatter impedance curve, that’s up to you to find out.

Gotcha. Thanks so much and @Kitechaser for the replies! I will definitely look to an upgrade in the near future. The next upgrade for sure. I will test at the shop. Any specific recommendations? I *CAN* go high budget if it is worth it for sure! I listen to electronic music mainly. Just an examples, here (yes, yuck, youtube i know. Just for example of genre :))

Jul 31, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #28,988 of 45,723
Yes you'll notice a difference, depending on the state of your budget cable, even a substantial one.
It can take up to 200 hours for a cable to sound its best, so keep that in mind, but right out of the box you'll hear it.

Thats amazing. So exciting since i already think my stuff sounds incredible. An increase to what i already hear? ahhhh.

Jul 31, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #28,989 of 45,723
Gotcha. Thanks so much and @Kitechaser for the replies! I will definitely look to an upgrade in the near future. The next upgrade for sure. I will test at the shop. Any specific recommendations? I *CAN* go high budget if it is worth it for sure! I listen to electronic music mainly. Just an examples, here (yes, yuck, youtube i know. Just for example of genre :))

Go OCC Copper, itll bring out the low end more, and improve tonality over the stock Silver Plated cable.
The one I linked is very good quality OCC Copper.

Jul 31, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #28,991 of 45,723
Ok! do these cables have brands or are they custom hand made by just general public? (not sure if thats the right phrase but i hope i make sense)

edit: NM! Saw the brand.

PW Audio is one of the most highly regarded cable companies. I have their 1960s cable, it retails for a lot more than the one I linked, but they are all very high quality.

Jul 31, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #28,994 of 45,723
Guys, just curious how much difference ( are in mind i am not as hardcore as some of you...i do like my music sounding pristine and fantastic, but i am a beginner in comparison to what some of you guys have :)) do the higher end/grade cables make? if you could put it in percentage of "better", how much different would an entry level Balanced cable be compared to say, a $200-300AUD cable?
I'm not hard core either and if I was to put it in percentage, it would be a 0 because it doesn't change the characters of the ear piece or the player. However, it does give better emphasize on its already existing characters (assuming you get the right cables). Mineral type don't necessarily determine it either but usually I like silver ones.

Jul 31, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #28,995 of 45,723
What's a good iem for a wm1a? I've owned a wm1a before and found the sound a bit bright but that was before the vinyl setting
What type of cable are you using? Pure copper cable can turn the bright sound to slight warm. I am happy with Campfire Andromeda with pure copper cable. BGVP DM6 is good combo too. Kanas Pro however, can provide you more bass and suit electronic/trance music. Just a suggestion, YMMV

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back