1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
  1. Kitechaser
    How the same company can make the DMP-Z1 and the IER-Z1R is beyond me. One is the best thing I have ever heard in audio, the other I wouldn't listen to if given to me for free. Crazy.

2. Whitigir
    Lol, I haven’t heard ier-Z1R yet =/ so I can’t comment

3. Kitechaser
    I am waiting for the day you get your hands on it :)
    Itll be very interesting to hear your thoughts on this one.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  4. phonomat
    So which is which?

5. gazzington
    What's a good iem for a wm1a? I've owned a wm1a before and found the sound a bit bright but that was before the vinyl setting

6. Kitechaser
    I am very strongly considering spending 8k on a DMP.
    The IER, you couldn't pay me to listen to it.
    Both made by the same company.

7. nc8000 Contributor
    Interesting. What have you got against the IER ?

8. Kitechaser
    The mids sounded like they were scooped out, it's almost like they were an after thought. They were recessed, and even more than that, they sounded lifeless.
    The sound was grainy, as in there was distortion around the edges of notes, vocals on some tracks were uneven, and had a hazy distorted sound. (Could be the hybrid configuration, I am thinking its not cohearant).
    Also tonality was washed out with the 4.4 SPC Cable, when I switched to a pure copper one, it helped a little, but overall, it was still quite a disappointment. Live Instruments just do not sound how the IER portrays them (I listen to a lot of live Jazz/Orchestral music... so my ears are sensitive to timbre).
    Staging as a whole was also recessed, I didn't get the whole massive stage that people keep talking about, everything sounded far away, flat. I was expecting a holographic 3D soundstage, it was very 2 dimensional in my experience.

Fit was another thing, these things stick out quite a bit, I can't really imagine walking out and about with these everyday. Overall it was shocking how slapped together the sound seemed.

KuroKitsu, siruspan and Whitigir like this.
  9. gerelmx1986
    Weird, because to me the IER-Z1R is the most un-IEM in-ear to my ears, they sound like open headphones. Very 3D stage, natural timbre.

Yes I agree they have a very unusual config: DD 12mm, for bass. BA for mids. And DD 5mm for highs.

Which files were you using? Low-bitrate ot VBR MP3/AAC? Every time i listen to a vbr mp3 or lower than 320 I can hear it going from 3D to 2D

10. Kitechaser
    I used only High res 24/96 and up files.
    Paired with the WM1A, AK1000CU( paired with WA11 amp), and also the RME ADI-2 DAC.

11. gerelmx1986
    Hmm maybe unit not burned in? Or if a demo unit being dropped (damaged)? Many variables

12. Kitechaser
    It was a 2nd hand unit, bought a week ago. I don't think burn in is an issue here. Can't speak to iem damage, as I have nothing to compare it with. Having said that, my impressions are consistent with other people that are also hearing the same thing.
    Goes to show you, the subjectivity of this hobby.

13. Whitigir
    Usually recessed mids would bring an illusion of larger soundstage

Kitechaser likes this.
  14. Lookout57
    I like the Campfire Vega and Atlas. Either using the Silver Litz balanced.

Aslshark and auronthas like this.
  15. Lookout57
    The differences are very noticeable. I just did a quick test comparing Little Feat's Dixie Chicken from Waiting for Columbus. The 1Z has a much wider and deeper soundstage and the bass is better defined, much cleaner. The highs are also much cleaner and better defined. I will say the bass seems more pronounced on the 1A. Maybe because the soundstage isn't as wide or deep. Listening to this track on the 1Z makes me feel more like I was there at the concert.

To sum it up I would choose the 1Z first for the ultimate, but the 1A is no slouch and more than capable specially considering it's ~1/3 of the cost.

This was using the CA Solaris, ADV Custom tips and ALO Gold 16 balanced cable.