SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 30, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #28,952 of 45,723
What...you meant u never used wm1Z out of 4.4mm ? LOL

If you love something on steroids....DMP Z1 is the WM-1Z on steroids
How the same company can make the DMP-Z1 and the IER-Z1R is beyond me. One is the best thing I have ever heard in audio, the other I wouldn't listen to if given to me for free. Crazy.

Jul 30, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #28,954 of 45,723
Lol, I haven’t heard ier-Z1R yet =/ so I can’t comment
I am waiting for the day you get your hands on it :)
Itll be very interesting to hear your thoughts on this one.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 4:02 AM Post #28,956 of 45,723
What's a good iem for a wm1a? I've owned a wm1a before and found the sound a bit bright but that was before the vinyl setting

Jul 31, 2019 at 4:14 AM Post #28,958 of 45,723
I am very strongly considering spending 8k on a DMP.
The IER, you couldn't pay me to listen to it.
Both made by the same company.

Interesting. What have you got against the IER ?

Jul 31, 2019 at 4:29 AM Post #28,959 of 45,723
Interesting. What have you got against the IER ?
The mids sounded like they were scooped out, it's almost like they were an after thought. They were recessed, and even more than that, they sounded lifeless.
The sound was grainy, as in there was distortion around the edges of notes, vocals on some tracks were uneven, and had a hazy distorted sound. (Could be the hybrid configuration, I am thinking its not cohearant).
Also tonality was washed out with the 4.4 SPC Cable, when I switched to a pure copper one, it helped a little, but overall, it was still quite a disappointment. Live Instruments just do not sound how the IER portrays them (I listen to a lot of live Jazz/Orchestral music... so my ears are sensitive to timbre).
Staging as a whole was also recessed, I didn't get the whole massive stage that people keep talking about, everything sounded far away, flat. I was expecting a holographic 3D soundstage, it was very 2 dimensional in my experience.

Fit was another thing, these things stick out quite a bit, I can't really imagine walking out and about with these everyday. Overall it was shocking how slapped together the sound seemed.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 4:41 AM Post #28,960 of 45,723
The mids sounded like they were scooped out, it's almost like they were an after thought. They were recessed, and even more than that, they sounded lifeless.
The sound was grainy, as in there was distortion around the edges of notes, vocals on some tracks were uneven, and had a hazy distorted sound. (Could be the hybrid configuration, I am thinking its not cohearant).
Also tonality was washed out with the 4.4 SPC Cable, when I switched to a pure copper one, it helped a little, but overall, it was still quite a disappointment. Live Instruments just do not sound how the IER portrays them (I listen to a lot of live Jazz/Orchestral music... so my ears are sensitive to timbre).
Staging as a whole was also recessed, I didn't get the whole massive stage that people keep talking about, everything sounded far away, flat. I was expecting a holographic 3D soundstage, it was very 2 dimensional in my experience.

Fit was another thing, these things stick out quite a bit, I can't really imagine walking out and about with these everyday. Overall it was shocking how, slapped together the sound seemed.
Weird, because to me the IER-Z1R is the most un-IEM in-ear to my ears, they sound like open headphones. Very 3D stage, natural timbre.

Yes I agree they have a very unusual config: DD 12mm, for bass. BA for mids. And DD 5mm for highs.

Which files were you using? Low-bitrate ot VBR MP3/AAC? Every time i listen to a vbr mp3 or lower than 320 I can hear it going from 3D to 2D

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #28,961 of 45,723
Weird, because to me the IER-Z1R is the most un-IEM in-ear to my ears, they sound like open headphones. Very 3D stage, natural timbre.

Yes I agree they have a very unusual config: DD 12mm, for bass. BA for mids. And DD 5mm for highs.

Which files were you using? Low-bitrate ot VBR MP3/AAC? Every time i listen to a vbr mp3 or lower than 320 I can hear it going from 3D to 2D
I used only High res 24/96 and up files.
Paired with the WM1A, AK1000CU( paired with WA11 amp), and also the RME ADI-2 DAC.

Jul 31, 2019 at 5:01 AM Post #28,962 of 45,723
I used only High res 24/96 and up files.
Paired with the WM1A, AK1000CU( paired with WA11 amp), and also the RME ADI-2 DAC.
Hmm maybe unit not burned in? Or if a demo unit being dropped (damaged)? Many variables

Jul 31, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #28,963 of 45,723
Hmm maybe unit not burned in? Or if a demo unit being dropped (damaged)? Many variables
It was a 2nd hand unit, bought a week ago. I don't think burn in is an issue here. Can't speak to iem damage, as I have nothing to compare it with. Having said that, my impressions are consistent with other people that are also hearing the same thing.
Goes to show you, the subjectivity of this hobby.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #28,965 of 45,723
What's a good iem for a wm1a? I've owned a wm1a before and found the sound a bit bright but that was before the vinyl setting
I like the Campfire Vega and Atlas. Either using the Silver Litz balanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back