SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 3, 2019 at 5:33 AM Post #28,591 of 45,723
That would be 4 charges of 70% each so my guess would be that it would count as almost 3 charge cycles if the math works that way
4*70% = 280%/100% = 2.8 ≈ 3 (sound right) :)

Jul 3, 2019 at 5:35 AM Post #28,592 of 45,723
Many posters are talking about battery power % - how do you know what % your battery is at? Mine just has four bars which gradually go down to zero with use. There is no % figure visible...
Ain't there four bars in the battery symbol? A quarter bar is approximately 25%; battery saver mode is 90% I read somewhere in this forum ?

Jul 3, 2019 at 6:06 AM Post #28,594 of 45,723
Ain't there four bars in the battery symbol? A quarter bar is approximately 25%; battery saver mode is 90% I read somewhere in this forum ?

That's right, just bars, no % figure. Yet people are talking about specific % figures. Are they guessing (if so how can they be that precise?) or is there a mode to change the display from bars to %?

Jul 3, 2019 at 6:09 AM Post #28,595 of 45,723
Jul 3, 2019 at 6:10 AM Post #28,596 of 45,723
That's right, just bars, no % figure. Yet people are talking about specific % figures. Are they guessing (if so how can they be that precise?) or is there a mode to change the display from bars to %?

There is no % only the four bars so the guess is each bar is 20-25% and battery saver is at 90%.

Jul 3, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #28,597 of 45,723
When the battery indicator starts to blink it is 10% and when the battery is full it is 90% when saver battery feature is on. That is if my assumption is correct. :)

Jul 3, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #28,598 of 45,723
When the battery indicator starts to blink it is 10% and when the battery is full it is 90% when saver battery feature is on. That is if my assumption is correct. :)

That’s way I’ve read several places and go by

Jul 3, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #28,599 of 45,723
Let's say weekly I charge my battery from 20% to 90% (battery saver mode) for a month, may i know how many full charge cycles will be counted?

4*70% = 280%/100% = 2.8 ≈ 3 (sound right) :)

Battery life is a function of the number of equivalent cycles and what you consider as end of life. On the later, I see myself quite satisfied if my WM1z battery only manages 50% original capacity which still gives me 10+ hours of use. Others may consider end of life at 80% original capacity. Here is a predictive chart from batteryuniversity.com below:

capacity-retention3.jpg

Of course we should all remember that keeping batteries topped off for a long period of time dramatically shortens life and as does letting drained batteries remain uncharged for a long period of time.

Jul 3, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #28,600 of 45,723
Battery life is a function of the number of equivalent cycles and what you consider as end of life. On the later, I see myself quite satisfied if my WM1z battery only manages 50% original capacity which still gives me 10+ hours of use. Others may consider end of life at 80% original capacity. Here is a predictive chart from batteryuniversity.com below:

Of course we should all remember that keeping batteries topped off for a long period of time dramatically shortens life and as does letting drained batteries remain uncharged for a long period of time.

Is that chart up to 14.000 recharge cycles ?
Sony estimates the battery will last 500 cycles

Jul 3, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #28,601 of 45,723
Is that chart up to 14.000 recharge cycles ?
Sony estimates the battery will last 500 cycles

14,000 charges. The 500 cycle estimate from Sony is 100% to 0% full charge to discharge. What we don't know is what Sony considers end of life. Is it 80% original charge capacity? 50%?

The chart basically says if you charge less than full and discharge to more than empty, you will have a very long life depending on what you are willing to accept as % loss of original charge capacity. On a more practical example, Tesla owners are seeing about a 10% degradation in capacity in 4-5 years if they don't care about limiting charge/discharge. Those who use the 70-30% practice have seen 2X longevity before 10% degradation. But keep in mind, 10% is a big deal on a $100K car. What do most WM1a/z owners expect as usable life?

Personally, I have seen poor longevity of LiON batteries that had more to due with brand than charging practice. I've had many laptops and cheap ones from Dell, HP, IBM all need battery replacement after 3 years where they hold 50% or less original charge. Apple on the other hand does great. I have a MacBook Air that is 8 years old and just recently changed the battery when it held less than 50% life. I expect Sony to be on the higher end of battery quality.

Jul 3, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #28,602 of 45,723
14,000 charges. The 500 cycle estimate from Sony is 100% to 0% full charge to discharge. What we don't know is what Sony considers end of life. Is it 80% original charge capacity? 50%?

The chart basically says if you charge less than full and discharge to more than empty, you will have a very long life depending on what you are willing to accept as % loss of original charge capacity. On a more practical example, Tesla owners are seeing about a 10% degradation in capacity in 4-5 years if they don't care about limiting charge/discharge. Those who use the 70-30% practice have seen 2X longevity before 10% degradation. But keep in mind, 10% is a big deal on a $100K car. What do most WM1a/z owners expect as usable life?

Personally, I have seen poor longevity of LiON batteries that had more to due with brand than charging practice. I've had many laptops and cheap ones from Dell, HP, IBM all need battery replacement after 3 years where they hold 50% or less original charge. Apple on the other hand does great. I have a MacBook Air that is 8 years old and just recently changed the battery when it held less than 50% life. I expect Sony to be on the higher end of battery quality.

I’m ecpecting at least 10 years with a weekly 10 to 90 charge and 20 hours play time per week and never turned off. I know germelex has nearly 7.000 hours play time on his and no much noticeable loss of capacity

Jul 3, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #28,603 of 45,723
In having a problem since I bought the DAP on January 2019. On many occasions, when I left the player on standby and started it again, the right side of the headphone, it's listened at a much lower level than the left, and I must remove and insert the connector to be heard correctly again. It's happening with the BA output, I have not used the SE for a long time, so I do not know if it will happen too. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!

Jul 3, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #28,604 of 45,723
In having a problem since I bought the DAP on January 2019. On many occasions, when I left the player on standby and started it again, the right side of the headphone, it's listened at a much lower level than the left, and I must remove and insert the connector to be heard correctly again. It's happening with the BA output, I have not used the SE for a long time, so I do not know if it will happen too. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!
Someone else previously had similar issue, and the device needed a replacement. Give your dealer or where you bought it from a call

Jul 3, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #28,605 of 45,723
Someone else previously had similar issue, and the device needed a replacement. Give your dealer or where you bought it from a call
Thank you, I'll contact Amazon first...maybe I don't have to send the player to Sony.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back