1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
  1. Redcarmoose
    https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sony-mdr-z1r.21971/reviews#review-21989

Here is a review where I compare the Z7 to other Sony flagships.

The Z7 is kind of a love it or hate it headphone. It’s truly the Sony house sound, and maybe an exaggerated take on it? My hearing says things I’ve done like the Kimber Cable helped change it for the better. Using the 1A is one of the ways to make it better. It may be off though with certain combinations of amps?

Though there is many ways to make the Z7 sound fairly good. I used the Schiit Asgard One and fed it with the Sony TA as simply a DAC and the Z7 (stock-cable) was pretty fabulous? Though not as great as using the Kimber 4.4mm? Also for my taste the 1A wins out over the Asgard One? So there is an example of the 1A not only keeping up but maybe beating out a fairly powerful class-A desktop? The 1A has the power and seems to offer a cleaner more detailed response than the Schiit Asgard? Much of this is due to the Z7 being easy to drive? In this situation the Asgard is going to offer slightly more power, but it’s the overall sound along with the resolution and tightness that makes the Z7 and 1A so good? But in reference the Z7 and Sony TA really takes the cake....as expected.

Due to the Sony house sound the Z7 is both slightly dark but still has a treble spike added to make it a V signature. The Schiit Asgard is on the bright side but it still works OK? The reason the Kimber is important is the 1A is on the flat-to-slightly bright side, I would not call it a dark DAP, so adding the Kimber smooths out the whole signal, and because the Z7 has warmth it’s a good combo.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    DatDudeNic likes this.
  2. gerelmx1986
    Certainly a great headphone, wm1A with balanced output is a must. Has a big decent stage, and tonal balance. Yeah Z1R is sonically superior but I doesn't means the z7 is not.good, is even better than the xba-z5
    I prefer the original to the M2, the m2 is not my running, way too neutral

Redcarmoose likes this.
  3. echineko
    I preferred even the xm3 to the m7mk2, for sure not something anyone should blind buy.

Redcarmoose likes this.
  4. Stephen George
    even though it was supposed to be 1 day prime, it got "lost" and arrived 2 days later...very nice case, hard plastic but with a matte finish, but not that rubberized, hard and smooth, easy to hold. i like that they allowed the gold to show like a frame, the buttons are nice and they included the wrist strap connection, $14 is a decent price

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Quasimodosbelfry
    Mine's on the way... but from your pics, it looks like a lint magnet!

6. siruspan
    Keep in mind hard plastic will most likely scratch the surface of the player. I've had this problem before with phone and Sony PSP. All looked good until I've taken them out of plastick covers and they both had a lot of tiny scratches probably from dust particles that got under the cover. I will never use anything else than leather or something with soft rubber insert.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  7. Stephen George
    yeah saw this..have a really good camera though, from afar, can't see any of it..also helps to have "old" eyes :)

Quasimodosbelfry likes this.
  8. Leetransform25
    Have you tried the Z7MK2s? (I know echineko has but not sure about Redcarmoose) How would you compare it with the originals?

9. DatDudeNic
    Wow thank you for the very detailed response @Redcarmoose! After reading your response i think I'm going to think it over the week as to whether i should buy it or the cheaper mdr 1a. Again thanks for the response :D

10. DatDudeNic
    I'll message him shortly, thanks again :D

11. DatDudeNic
    Thanks for the response :), after reading some reviews of the z7 i think im going to delay my purchase since I'm not really a big fan of the v shaped signature...

echineko likes this.
  12. DatDudeNic
    Oh my that is a wonderful looking case!

13. Stephen George
    i would not classify this as hard plastic, it's rubberized, just with more a matte finish than that super soft stuff

14. DONTGIVEUP
    BFDBEF80-6466-440E-B5C5-958E6D5603A3.jpeg Been away but added something new to my collection

roses77, Hyde8767, siruspan and 3 others like this.
  15. Redcarmoose
    One of the time reasons I have the Z7 is I found them new for $360. There may be some close-outs still around? Have not heard the MII edition?