SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 28, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #27,647 of 45,723
Yep my mistake folks.

Was using an iPhone X then switched to Samsung S10+, hence the AAC.

I think the first time I connected the Sony with the S10+ it did show as AAC but this must have just been a wee bug in the system!!!

Mar 28, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #27,648 of 45,723
Isn’t A standing for Apple ? Any Apple devices and not limited to IPhones ?

Aac (advanced audio codec) is not an Apple propritary codec and is widely supported. Alac (Apple lossless audio codec) on the other hand is originally Apple but is now available as open source

Mar 30, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #27,650 of 45,723
Just picked up the 1A from Best Buy on Thursday to replace my ZX2, also upgraded from the Z5’s to the ier-m9’s. I’m very impressed with this combo. Hard to believe the sound will still improve as I reach the 200 plus hour mark. Two questions though, what are people’s opinions, who may have upgraded, about the Sony Kimber balanced cable, as opposed to the one provided with the M9’s? Just wondering if it’s worth spending the extra cash on. Also, I purchased a Samsung 512gb sd card. Unfortunately, I can’t get album artwork to transfer to the sd card, but have no problem when transferring music files to the internal storage. I’m currently using a Mac. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #27,651 of 45,723
Hi,

Finally, got everything and setup below.
Burn_in new DAC.

1Z with remote to dock, USB out to Denafripps Terminator R2R DAC, RCA out to ALO SS6, out to Utopia.

Dac owners said 500 to 800 hrs of DAC burn_in due to 1000 capacitors inside that 42 lbs beast. A long way of burn_in for me.

20190329_201551.jpg

Mar 30, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #27,652 of 45,723
Just picked up the 1A from Best Buy on Thursday to replace my ZX2, also upgraded from the Z5’s to the ier-m9’s. I’m very impressed with this combo. Hard to believe the sound will still improve as I reach the 200 plus hour mark. Two questions though, what are people’s opinions, who may have upgraded, about the Sony Kimber balanced cable, as opposed to the one provided with the M9’s? Just wondering if it’s worth spending the extra cash on. Also, I purchased a Samsung 512gb sd card. Unfortunately, I can’t get album artwork to transfer to the sd card, but have no problem when transferring music files to the internal storage. I’m currently using a Mac. Any suggestions?

Album art must be baseline jpg not progressive and can either be embedded in the music files or a seperate jog in the same directory as the music files. Also all your music must be in a Music directory on the card, not in the root

Mar 30, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #27,654 of 45,723
Album art must be baseline jpg not progressive and can either be embedded in the music files or a seperate jog in the same directory as the music files. Also all your music must be in a Music directory on the card, not in the root
Thanks for the effort in explaining the process. Unfortunately, I don’t quit understand though.

Mar 30, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #27,655 of 45,723
Thanks for the effort in explaining the process. Unfortunately, I don’t quit understand though.
You need a specific codec for the pictures, which is baseline. You can either embed it in the metadata or put it in the same directory as the music with the file name being the same as the directory but still baseline format . Example. If your folder is named dj_taq_ongaq, your picture must be dj_taq_ongaq.jpg and also baseline format

Mar 30, 2019 at 10:46 PM Post #27,656 of 45,723
You need a specific codec for the pictures, which is baseline. You can either embed it in the metadata or put it in the same directory as the music with the file name being the same as the directory but still baseline format . Example. If your folder is named dj_taq_ongaq, your picture must be dj_taq_ongaq.jpg and also baseline format
Ok, thank you, I’ll try it tomorrow. I appreciate it

Apr 3, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #27,659 of 45,723

I have not have not heard the IER-M9 though from pictures it seems to have maybe the same silver color included cables as the IER-Z1R.

After getting used to the 1Z and IER-Z1R for about 10 days I switched the stock cable for the Sony 4.4mm Kimber Pentaconn 5 pole. I purchased the Sony/Kimber for the IER-Z1R simply due to how much the Kimber improves the full-size Z1R headphones.

After testing it turned out the included cables actually sounded better in my use. The stock cables had a more even and complete sound.

With the above determined, I found the MUC-M12SB1 to in contrast be the ultimate cable for the XBA-Z5 IEM. It’s also the best cable I found for the BGVP DM6 5 BA IEM.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MUC-M12SB1-SONY-Headphone-cable/dp/B01M3TK66F

Though remember your IEM is all BA where the IER-Z1R is a DD-BA-DD. So...... you could try it, but you may find you already have a nice cable.

Edit:
Also I forgot to mention to be careful if you do get the Sony/Kimber. The MMCX connections would not separate after being joined. Literally it was really frightening that they went together like butter but would not separate.
And take note, I’m 5’11” and a 259lb powerlifter, I couldn’t get them apart. They finally separated..... but! :frowning2:

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #27,660 of 45,723
Isn’t A standing for Apple ? Any Apple devices and not limited to IPhones ?

Apple finally opened up their codecs for other devices to decode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back