1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
  1. proedros
    if you have the usb cable , just get a simple usb charger and you are good to go

2. Erfan Elahi
    In my experience, hissing depends on the record too. Also, have tired to tune the equalizer to stabilize the hiss slightly...

Quadfather likes this.
  3. Redcarmoose
    Well mastered recorded music will have tape hiss, unless digitally recorded. Tape hiss is actually something you want to hear, as in a good master it can show that it’s all there frequency wise.

Hiss can actually come from so many places. Guitar amps can come into play or even effects make hiss at times on digital recordings.

What we are taking about it is hiss with files paused. Hiss from the amp, or something from the cable or IEM.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    Hyde8767 and Erfan Elahi like this.
  4. Midnstorms
    Thanks both! on charger question

5. ttt123
    It is not that simple. USB 2.0 compliant means that it has the USB 2.0 chipset, which will transfer data at USB 2.0 speed. If implemented on a PC, USB 2.0 standard is limited to 500 mAh current (0.5 amps) max out of one port. However, this current limitation does not apply on a USB Charger. A decent charger can put out 2.4A from each USB socket. An iPad will not even charge if the output is less than 1+ amp. The WM1x, and most devices, phones, etc., will pull anywhere from .1 to 1.5-2+ amps from a charger. So if plugged into a charger, it will pull more current, and charge faster, than if plugged into a PC. I've just done a quick check on my WM1Z, and with the battery indicator one bar down (almost full), it is drawing .76 amp, as a Charger Doctor circuit shows. This is a little dongle that plugs into the charger output, and then you plug the WM1Z into the Charger Doctor, and it will show the voltage and current going though it.

The USB implementation on a PC is meant primarily for data transfer, with USB power as a secondary feature, so the USB2.0 spec limits the current output to .5amp, IF the manufacturer is following the spec. They do not have to, and some PCs will allow more current from the USB 2.0 output.

Midnstorms and Erfan Elahi like this.
  6. marklivia
    I recently was able to purchase the 1Z DAP and the Z1R phones from a gentleman for an insanely low price (although still far above my financial comfort zone, but I took the plunge!). If you haven't read Redcarmoose's review of the new Z1R IEM and the Sony "ecosystem" above, I highly recommend you do. Sony created these statement pieces to have a synergy with each other and my new setup does just that and exactly as Redcarmoose describes. The ability to separate the instruments in a recording the way this setup does is AMAZING. Just listen to Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone". Very cluttered recording but I can clearly hear each artists input clearly and distinctly. So natural, organic sounding- like music. Not hyper clinical or analytical but like music. I've always thought the best audiophiles were musicians (although very few are for some reason). They know what live music should sound like.
    I digress. I have however, elevated Redcarmoose to master reviewer in regards to all things Sony. He is completely spot on. And I want to tell anyone that is considering the stretch to somehow buy these stellar audio toys to figure out how to make it happen. You will be happy.

PS also having over 700GB of my collection at my fingertips and insanely good battery life is the icing on the cake!

7. roses77
    I use the 5A 2 or 2.1 USB amp to charge my WM1Z. You can also use an iPad charger or Samsung USB charger as well.

8. RobertP
    Silver plated cables are more sensitive to hiss than copper cables. I did some experiments with them for my A18t and found that 22 gauge SPC cable or thicker are a must to avoid hissing.
    With a thinner 26 gauge copper cable, I didn't get any hiss.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  9. RobertP
    Must avoid mp3 format. Most of hisses are from them if any. I'm replacing them with 24bits FLACs or DSDs.
    FYI, firmware v3.01 with those thin OEM SPC cables might not be a good combo.

10. gerelmx1986
    I use even a power bank from easyACC to charge my wm1a
    Myself I don't use any mp3 or mp4 (aac) since 2012, and yeah recordings have hiss too, but is rare, either older recording, vynil rip or tape master

11. RobertP
    Yeah. Recently, I compared DSDs to other digital formats including MQAs on same songs, I can tell you that now I'm a big fan of DSDs. To me, everything I hear are as close to the real things and more musical.

Erfan Elahi likes this.
  12. Erfan Elahi
    Got a little confused here for my wrong understanding. Isn't the higher the number grows the thinner it is?
    wp_ss_20190322_0002.png

besides, in effect audio site, I see 22 gauge thor silver ii+ is more expensive than 26 gauge thor silver ii

It depends on the source player and output too, right? I didn't here difference between a 16bit cd flac and a DSD when listening with ZX300. Sorry for the confusion, I still don't own WM1Z. But I am about to, so I am reading this thread to gain impression and experience of others, and difference between the two.

13. Quadfather
    I have never experienced any hiss with my Sony NW-WM1A.

Erfan Elahi and Steen Pihl like this.
  14. RobertP
    Yes, thicker means lower the gauge size for "silver plated" cables. If you have copper cables, you shouldn't be getting any hiss even with those thinner OEM cables.

With my wm1a, 16bits flac give me less dynamic, impact and depth. Also just a tiny bit more distorted and compressed. CDs quality are almost similar to flac but with less opening in upper mids. DSD and DXD are the best but I don't like file size. 24bits FLAC and PCM are close in second.

Erfan Elahi likes this.
  15. buduba0604
    I am having an issue with my battery I think. I charged it this morning until it was fully charged. Took it off the charger, it was rebuilding database, within 10 minutes, the battery has gone down to 1 bar. I am not sure what to do.