1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
  1. aisalen
    Feedback from this thread point to Sony TA-ZH1ES Headphone Amplifier if you like 1A and more better.

2. 480126
    Thanks. I know the ta zh1es (from Papier). I‘m looking for alternative dap/amp

3. equalspeace
    EDFB77E8-79EA-4777-AAD7-EBFCDC93A54E.jpeg Pure bliss with my Yamaha EPH-200. These Japanese earphones love this Japanese DAP. :smile_phones:

Erfan Elahi, Hyde8767 and elton7033 like this.
  4. elton7033
    Yamaha earphone are actually very good for its price but is sad that not much people knows what is it overseas

Erfan Elahi and equalspeace like this.
  5. ttt123
    A bit of nostalgia - I still have a pair of Yamaha HP-1 Orthodynamic (planar) headphones, which were released in 1975. They were quite expensive, selling for US$200 back then! A couple of years ago, I ran across articles on how to refurbish the head strap, and that people were still using them, and looking for old headphones to restore, and consequently they still had a resale value. Which was a real surprise to me.

Erfan Elahi likes this.
  6. elton7033
    The hp1 is a classic, I just searched up in internet and it used to be like 11000yen back in Japan in 1976 and that’s a lot of money back then...I can imagine in the USA it will be more expensive. Maybe you can try to plug it in your modern gear to see does it sounds even better, although I doubt that the wm1a can handle planar headphone well lol

7. Redcarmoose
    z1r iem.jpg

After careful consideration I must suggest that anyone on the edge of upgrading from the 1A to 1Z should instead try the IER-Z1R and 1A combination. In 4.4mm balanced mode with stock cable the joining brings most of the 1Z magic to the table. In some aspects it's even a better combination than the IER-Z1R and 1Z combination. Obviously this depends on desired sound signature and how the IER-Z1R IEMs fit.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sony-ier-z1r.23390/reviews

The IER-Z1R takes the 1A to prior-unknown levels of performance in my opinion.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  8. shootertwist
    since tidal on ios now does masters via MQA, does it mean i can bypass the ios limitation by using the wm1a as dac? i tried it and it says "PCM 96khz" does that mean it works? sorry very new to this MQA thing thanks

9. Dtuck90
    Yes that means it’s working

shootertwist likes this.
  10. sne4me
    Listening to Royksopp - Royksopp from a vinyl to wm1A.

its a bit whack the 500gb microsd cards are going for $130 and the 1000gb microsd cards are at preorder above $500

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  11. proedros

what a terrific review , if i were SONY i would give this to you for free , seeing how much hard work you put in it

(again a certain reviewer comes to mind which a)gets everything for free , and b) his reviews are as lazy as can be - plus everything he reviews is always the best thing - until his next review which is the bext thing until the next and on and on)

Aeskualpio likes this.
  12. Redcarmoose
    Thank-you!

Well, the review was easy as it’s a personal feeling. The review was written on the 4th, now it’s the 20th and my recent post above is simply telling of the amazing combo the 1A and IER-Z1R. Though in reality there may be more flaws in the IER-Z1R. I’ll leave those remarks and impressions for others to share.

13. Midnstorms
    Anyone can tell me what are the correct specs for a charger for WM1A? thanks in advance (voltage and amp (mah))

roses77 likes this.
  14. nc8000 Contributor
    Any usb charger should do

Midnstorms likes this.
  15. bflat
    Sony spec sheet for 1a/z states USB 2.0 compliant so that is 5V and 500mA. Any USB port on a PC or laptop will work and any charger that is 5V and >= to 500mA will also work. Using a charger with >500mA current rating will not charge any faster on the 1a/z, but would be more convenient to use with other devices that can take advantage of higher current.

Midnstorms likes this.