1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
  1. mosika
    Original WM1Z, Just one month.

2. ddmt
    Have you tried your Andro on other 1Z?

3. Redcarmoose
    Exactly you need to go to a Sony store and plug your IEMs into another 1Z. Not sure if I fully understand your cable set-up, but I do believe it’s true that a silver cable could accentuate the hiss. Combine that small hiss with someone who also has amazing hearing and you may get your results. High pitch hearing decreases with age. I’m 57 and have been to a bunch of loud concerts, so I’m sure if I ever had high pitched hiss I would not notice it. All tube amps and turntable preamps have a small amount of noise. Turntable preamps from ground hum, and it can not be removed. Tube amps naturally have a hum, all of them do.

It has to do with how you deal with it psychologically. But we have never heard of a hum with the 1Z on this thread?

4. blazinblazin
    Andro is a very sensitive IEM.
    Sometimes it just detect things that other IEM can't hear.

Redcarmoose likes this.
  5. syke
    There is no hiss with the Andro+WM1Z. Contrary to what most would claim here, I really don't think CA is up to scratch with their production. I had to replace my Andro 3 times, each time a new set with a different set of faults. So much so, I gave up on them and the new replacement I got is now chucked away in the corner.

6. Redcarmoose
    Often you hear about CA production variances.

7. Music junky
    Super lutz! IMG_20190314_202110173.jpg

8. Music junky
    Andromeda and Solaris. IMG_20190307_091615647.jpg

9. bflat
    I tried the Andromeda S when it first came out. My experience is:

1) No hiss on balanced or SE output.
    2) Not a good impedance match. I thought the overall sound was loose and elevated mid bass and rolled off treble. The majority of Andro owners state 2 Ohm output is optimal with lower Z sounding like what I observed. I also tried using an iFi IEMatch with adds some resistance and can confirm it did improve the sound, but still short of what an ideal Andro 2 Ohm matching can do. I don't have the official output impedance spec for 1z but I would bet is is under 1 Ohm.

10. beaux
    Hi
    I have this problems in both my wm1a/wm1z. I suspect it is caused by software.

11. beaux
    So do I. I hear pops from right piece when I turn volume up from 70 to 120 and from left piece when I turn down from 120. Pop noise gets louder as volume goes up but is only noticeable when volume is 70 up.

12. nc8000 Contributor
    This has been discussed in this thread a long time ago and seems to be normal

13. PointyFox
    Didn't hear any hiss with my Andromeda CK on a WM1A.

14. gerelmx1986
    Tried a WM1Z in Berlin at a Sony shop, doesn't sound that different from wm1a but I feel that solo instrumentsl music it adds something special to the sound that captivated me.

I also tried the MDR-Z7M2, didn't like the metallic tint to the sound, very fatiguing

15. 480126
    Witch dac/amp is better as Sony WM1a? Price 1000-2000 $ for Desktop with HD800S? Any recommendation ?