SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 22, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #27,302 of 45,723
Anybody know which is better wm1a or astell Kern ak320

I would say for myself the WM1A/Z is much better, of course this is all subjective. I'm not a fan (in general) of the AK sound, to me the Sony's are on the warmer side, more pronounced low end. The AK's I've heard a more clinical sounding, which can be good if that's what you are looking for. Battery life on the Sony's can't be beat, I also prefer the Sony UI Although I wish there was a search feature.

Feb 22, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #27,303 of 45,723
Anybody know which is better wm1a or astell Kern ak320

If you must have wifi streaming then get the AK. If you must have 2 way BT connectivity, then get the Sony. If you need all of the AK accessories like amp, DSD recorder, etc, then go with the AK. If you need more than 8 hrs of battery life, get the Sony. If none of these mutually exclusive features matter, then I would go for the better priced one.

Feb 22, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #27,304 of 45,723
Feb 22, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #27,305 of 45,723
So up to 85hrs burn in I hadn't listened to it since 7hrs burn in.

So there should be a massive warning on this device to say burn-in first... :p - I know there is in the menus, but it needs to be more explicit.

Just in case anyone is wondering whether the WM1Z is better than the Chord Mojo the answer is a categoric YES. At 85hr burn in it is better with every single song I tried earlier. I did an A/B comparison with the Chord Mojo and it is veiled and recessed in every sense. More impressions to come through as I burn this in more.

The Campfire Solaris has also benefited from being burned in. Looking forward to hearing how this sounds with the Campfire Audio Atlas when it arrives next week.

Feb 22, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #27,306 of 45,723
So up to 85hrs burn in I hadn't listened to it since 7hrs burn in.

So there should be a massive warning on this device to say burn-in first... :p - I know there is in the menus, but it needs to be more explicit.

Just in case anyone is wondering whether the WM1Z is better than the Chord Mojo the answer is a categoric YES. At 85hr burn in it is better with every single song I tried earlier. I did an A/B comparison with the Chord Mojo and it is veiled and recessed in every sense. More impressions to come through as I burn this in more.

The Campfire Solaris has also benefited from being burned in. Looking forward to hearing how this sounds with the Campfire Audio Atlas when it arrives next week.

Thanks! I'm in the process of burning in my Z. I'm at 45hrs. I'd also love to read your opinion on the Camfire IEM's and the comparisons . I love my Shure 846's and have tried many other IEM's, the Shure's seem to do it for me, I'm looking for another quality set that has some similarities...But still different. Cheers!

Feb 22, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #27,307 of 45,723
I had a pair of Shure SE846s before my Solaris. After a couple of weeks with the Solaris I decided to pass on the Shure's.

The main initial difference is the treble extension. The Solaris has airier crisper highs which the SE846 is just not tuned well enough to handle. The low-end slam on the Solaris is also a lot more impressive than the low-pass filter on the Shure. If you can try and audition the Solaris yourself. The reason I am getting an Atlas is for when I just want a bit of fun with extremely messy music with a mid-bass presence. The Solaris will be my main listening unit till I can find a Stax SR009s pairing :p

The Se846 is a brilliant earphone, but the Solaris is in a league apart.

It might also be an idea to wait fo reviews on the IER 1Z too, that looks phenomenal and with Sony it could be a nice pairing. If you like a fun and insightful pairing with the WM1Z then Solaris is definitely worth a look in. I can confirm there is no hiss at all on the WM1Z with the Reference 8 cable over balanced too. So you don't have to worry about that.

Feb 22, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #27,308 of 45,723
Thanks. I have a few IEM's In mind, a couple CIEM's from 64 audio (N8, a12t) and a couple non custom, 64 u12t, Campfire Solaris, and Empire Ears Legend X. I'll be getting demos of the 64 audio models but I'm unable to obtain Campfire or Empire. The only other IEM's I've demoed have been the JH Layla and the 16v2, to be honest they were great, but I wasn't all that impressed comparing them the 846's especially giving their price.

I tend to like the smooth, laid back highs of the 846's, so call it lacking, vailed, and no reveling, I get that! I've just been using them so long I'm accustomed to their signature. I do want something while not a total 180...just different...Choices!

Feb 24, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #27,309 of 45,723
I´m selling my Sony BCR-NWH10 WM port cradle, if anyones interested just drop me a message.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #27,312 of 45,723
I´m selling my Sony BCR-NWH10 WM port cradle, if anyones interested just drop me a message.

Didn’t it work out for you as you hoped ?

Feb 24, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #27,313 of 45,723
Feb 24, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #27,314 of 45,723
DFEB10E3-1159-46AE-B10C-EF7B0D3110F4.jpeg
I posted this for someone else a few posts back

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003WUBIZQ/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My 1Z stays in its Benks case and I can also keep the Sony cable and Apple CCK cable in here as well.
Perfect solution

The Moleskin small case works well for me:

Feb 25, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #27,315 of 45,723
Does anyone know how to embed lyrics data in flac (or m4a) files? It won't work with Mp3tag or dBpowerAmp, and I don't really want to duplicate my amount of files by setting up lrc ones for each track... and I'm only set up for unsynced lyrics, without time stamps, anyway. (I once read that Media Center can help, but at the moment it won't launch on my computer despite being installed and I recall how it likes to overwrite all metadata on its own.)

Also, I'm so surprised that no one mentioned the font size on WM1A/Z displays in three years! In folder view it's so spacious that I have to rely on the small file count where the text fades out on the right quite often and even with a simple [track number] [song name] file string there can be guesswork involved.
I really wish that Sony would put up an option for smaller fonts or wordwrap with a new firmware. Same with the lyrics, if they're not totally brief or "karaoke", it's a real drag to maneuver through them with so much line spacing and empty bars left and right. If someone else feels this way, maybe we can all write to the developers and lobby them to change this, it must be the simplest task for them... and this is really the only thing I'm missing from the firmware at this point (besides a PMEQ, which is a whole different story).

On all other accounts the WM1Z feels just rock-solid, highly developed, musically awesome, even when I have to think back to the Lotoo Paw Gold at times that had so much impulsive power where the WM1Z seems to tilt the brakes downward, slightly, but categorically. But it really throws so many musical bouqets that make up for this, up to where I've stopped looking for other DAPs and relish my portable "chain" every time I use it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back