1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
  1. Python002
    that worked, thank you.

i noticed now the track number (01) and so on comes before the song name. it was not like that on my hiby. so its not in alphabetical order.

2. Wooglish
    I have a cradle, but had to purchase through eBay; I don't think they retail them in the US. You don't need it (although it is very nice to use; I use it with the ZH1ES). When I use a smaller DAC (like Hugo 2) I use the special adapter you have > separate USB cable > DAC and it works very well.

3. meomap
    But you have to use cradle output, correct?

4. Python002
    Not sure if keeping, thing is heavy

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  5. auronthas
    Is there a way to charge WM1A under power off mode ?

When I turn off my WM1A and then start charging , it will wake up (turn on) WM1A, is it supposed to be the way ?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  6. nc8000 Contributor
    Yes it turns on when charging

auronthas likes this.
  7. nc8000 Contributor
    You have to use the WM port at the bottom of the unit. You can use either a special Sony cable or the cradle. The cradle gives the better result but also cost more. I have a cradle for sale

8. mw7485
    No, you can use the 1A/1Z as a digital source using the walkman port with the supplied USB/Walkman port cable - or the dock. The dock can charge at the same time and apparently "sounds" better. Some folks around here know far more about external connectivity than me. Stick around, and someone will be along shortly.

I believe the dock will have to be bought (new) from the far east, as it is not officially marketed in the US or Europe.

9. Wooglish
    I highly recommend the eBay seller "premium-japan" if you are in the US and want a dock from Japan. I literally received my dock in three days from Japan.

Aslshark, Redcarmoose and Quadfather like this.
  10. Redcarmoose
    Here it is: $155

https://www.amazon.com/Walkman-Cradle-BCR-NWH10-NW-ZX2-Japan/dp/B00S94R5RK

I only have one other DAC other than the Sony TA-ZH1ES amplifier/DAC. But in my history I have only been able to get the cradle to work with the Sony TA DAC/amp.

My Cambridge Audio DACMagic Plus does not register seeing the dock or DAPs hooked up with USB adapter?

The USB adapter ( linked below) gets used as an alternative way to use the 1Z/1A as a source for an external DAC, though it also only works with my Sony TA DAC/amp in my history.

So it may not always work. There is no guarantee it will work for you.

Though with the TA amp and AudioQuest Carbon USB cable the 1Z/1A DAP and dock becomes the ultimate source surpassing the computer and SPDIF digital coaxial RCA from a CD transport as a source.

Strangely I can also use the dock going the reverse way to use a MacBook Air as a source for the DAC in the 1Z by using a small microUSB cable, and the DAC function on the 1Z player.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-WMC-NWH10-Conversion-Cable-Output-x/dp/B00FF086HE
    $38.99

Here is the USB adapter cable.......but it has less electronics in it than the dock, and it does not sound as good. You will plug this adapter into a standard USB cable and go to town.

So for home 2 channel stereo I use the TA amp as the line out, or switch to preamp out to a power amp; using the TA as the DAC/preamp. The TA amp has switched RCA outputs which can either be a pre out or line out.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    Mrcojocaru likes this.
  11. meomap
    Thank you @Redcarmoose for the information.
    I will test with my 1Z first + Sony adapter to the Esoteric K05 as dac and see before my approach to the Dock.
    Surprise to hear the other dac did not see or recognize the dock or 1Z.

12. fiascogarcia
    If you plug it into a wall wart, it should charge without turning on.

13. Redcarmoose
    Yes, it’s weird but I never use that DAC. Just keeping it around as may get balanced powered speakers.

If it ends up being your way to listen you may also want an upgraded USB cable. I still need to do my blind tests. But sighted the AudioQuest Carbon adds a noticeable amount of speed and detail; which is strange as I have never noted a difference between USB cables?

When you do get something running PM me if you think it’s better or worse than CD transport or computer; I’m curious to your findings.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  14. Aslshark
    Hi, I can confirm that the dock also works with the Chord Dave. I use the dock with the Sony TA-ZH1ES and feed the Dave with CD instead(different rooms). I might get another dock later on for use with the Dave for convenience.
    Thomas

Redcarmoose likes this.
  15. Arghavan
    Hey guys, I'm a bit new to this hobby. can somebody help me?
    I looked at the specs of WM1A and it apparently has 250mW output power in balanced (16ohms load) which I'm correct is equal to about 2 Vrms (16 ohms). My last DAP (AK300) had 1.95 Vrms (No Load). how does it convert to 16ohms load? what does it equal to? (mW 16ohms)
    Thanks