1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
  1. gannjunior
    I tried to search for an high gain setting in the Sony player but without success

2. nc8000 Contributor
    In that case you have a volume capped EU unit that you need to uncap using the rockbox tool

https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  3. bana
    Noticed you are in Europe, ( go Juve) which means your unit has a volume cap. You need to uncap the unit.

terrav likes this.
  4. siruspan
    It's the EU volume level cap. Thank god for the workaround on rockbox site. I really dont understand why only sony is so strict about it. Literally every other dap that is sold in europe is louder then volume capped sony players. Even my phone is louder. I wanted to jump on sony zx2 when it was new but it also was useless, even iems struggled with that player and there was no solution as far as i know at the time because it was on android

5. Duncan Moderator
    Just don't switch to the JPN version, unless you speak the language - There is no way to change the language (that I could find) - had me in a panic on my (at the time) brand new unit!

One other side effect is that it'll reset your hours used counter, if that is a big deal to you.

6. nc8000 Contributor
    It does not reset the hours played counter, only doing a factory reset will do that

7. nc8000 Contributor
    You can’t really blame Sony for obeying the law even if the law is stupid. I assume they are too big to wan’t to be seen breaking it. The smaller makers probably have an easier time flying under the radar

Aslshark and frost15 like this.
  8. bflat
    Worst volume would probably be DSD playback on a EU limited device.

9. siruspan
    Maybe but ma samsung phone just warns me sometimes that im going over the limit and thats acceptable as i only need to tap ok

10. gannjunior
    Great Scott guyss!!!!!!!!!! as Doc would have had said !!!
    Thank you ALL !!!

so there was an (incredible) explanation.
    Anyway I'm happy..otherwise the player was broken...

Now I go to donwload the tool.
    Just some quick question:

Is there a way to count the player running hrs? where?
    If I "uncap" my sony the warranty is void? is a reversable process? simply "reset" the player and the uncap is lost?

Thank you!!!!

11. nc8000 Contributor
    Yes you can see the hours in Settings then scroll right down to Unit Information. The uncap is reversible. I have no idea if it voids the warranty

12. AnakChan Moderator
    JP language, yes you can with scsitool. Did that to mine.

13. Stephen George
    got another laugh off this, a second response from kingston :

Code:

This is pretty standard in the world of storage devices. generally about 10% of the drive will be unavailable for storage because it has to use storage to tell the data where to be stored. 

14. Stephen George
    it seemed to me he meant, if you change it to JPN region, that's the only language available on the device

Duncan likes this.
  15. Mrcojocaru
    I have to agree about the sound being more warm. Coming from 1.2 (which had tons of bass) I was very skeptical, but there's still way more bass than 3.0 and the treble is not as sharp to my ears anymore.