SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 19, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #26,011 of 45,723
You may want to contact Kingston. If you are seeing 466 GB formatted, that would indicate the raw size as 500 GB and not 512. 10 GB means about 60 more full lossless CDs.

so i got a response, but really cannot make sense of it, first he's talking about what i can fit on it (that wasn't my question) and then segues into firmware speeds and such (forgot to save that part), that 10GB in relation to 500GB is not something to worry about (I beg to differ)

Code:
Received [3:39 PM] :
so in any volume you buy, if it states it is 100GB then when you plug it into the pc, you will see that you may only have about 87GB avail

its the basic fundamental of how the any volume interacts with the OS

so if samsung shows that then really the drive may be a 525GB volume and once the OS see it it will then show only 512GB

the OS always uses a small percentage of any attached volume

your hard drive is the same thing

look at the system properties

either volume...ssd, microsd, usb, the numbers you see are all across the board...our card is maked with the correct capacities

the OS or HOST uses some of this volume

Samsung makes their volumes different

different builds to make the same capacity

either volume...ssd, microsd, usb, the numbers you see are all across the board...our card is maked with the correct capacities

Dec 19, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #26,012 of 45,723
After spending more than 250 hr with my wm1z I must say that after the 3.01 FW update I've found what I consder to be the pinnacle of portable sound quality. Paired with my Shure 1540 SRH's listening to any genre is pure bliss. I listen mostly to heavy metal (and every subgenre black, death, progressive, doom...), rock, jazz and classical music and traveling with this setup is incredible. I can lay back in bed at night listening to Patricia Barber's Cafe Blue, listen to Immortal's At the Heart of Winter in the top of a mountain next day, and then chill in the way back while I listen to some The Doors, Miles Davis... All of this with Top Notch quality. Thanks Sony, my faith in you is being restored.

Dec 19, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #26,013 of 45,723
After spending more than 250 hr with my wm1z I must say that after the 3.01 FW update I've found what I consder to be the pinnacle of portable sound quality. Paired with my Shure 1540 SRH's listening to any genre is pure bliss. I listen mostly to heavy metal (and every subgenre black, death, progressive, doom...), rock, jazz and classical music and traveling with this setup is incredible. I can lay back in bed at night listening to Patricia Barber's Cafe Blue, listen to Immortal's At the Heart of Winter in the top of a mountain next day, and then chill in the way back while I listen to some The Doors, Miles Davis... All of this with Top Notch quality. Thanks Sony, my faith in you is being restored.
I was listening to that immortal album on the same dap today. Classic

Dec 19, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #26,014 of 45,723
so i got a response, but really cannot make sense of it, first he's talking about what i can fit on it (that wasn't my question) and then segues into firmware speeds and such (forgot to save that part), that 10GB in relation to 500GB is not something to worry about (I beg to differ)

Code:
so in any volume you buy, if it states it is 100GB then when you plug it into the pc, you will see that you may only have about 87GB avail

so if samsung shows that then really the drive may be a 525GB volume and once the OS see it it will then show only 512GB

Rule of thumb is generally 1/8 exaggerated because of the bits to bytes ratio just multiply by .875, that’s your total minus the OS as well

Dec 19, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #26,015 of 45,723

Code:

LOL, sounds like a response for Dr. Seuss except it doesn't rhyme. How about this:

So in any volume you buy
its the basic fundamental of why
OS always uses a small amount
Your hard drive is using the same count
Look at the system properties
Our card is marked with the correct capacities
The OS or HOST uses some of this
Samsung can be hit or miss

Dec 19, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #26,016 of 45,723
LOL, sounds like a response for Dr. Seuss except it doesn't rhyme. How about this:

Our card is marked with the correct capacities
The OS or HOST uses some of this
Samsung can be hit or miss

i don't have a samsung to test, but i own many microsd and ssd from them and they are accurate and also (although can be hard to get them to respond), they do honor the product

whatever kingston did, it's technically not a 512GB, but a "500gb" card

overall, i am fine with it, it was $100+ cheaper and very fast, i upgraded from the 400 sandisk and still have 90GB to fill

but love the dr. suess reference

and yes, he was concerned about what i could put on it..and all i was asking was the total space doesn't jibe

i am currently running a 500GB samsung SSD and that is reported as 490638143488 456GB

so i guess TECHNICALLY...if you add 10 or so GB on top of that...it would equal my 466GB reported size with the kingston

Dec 19, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #26,017 of 45,723

I have the Sony NW-WM1A with the same headphones, and I listen to the identical same music you listen to. I think I must follow you now.

Dec 20, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #26,019 of 45,723
I have the Sony NW-WM1A with the same headphones, and I listen to the identical same music you listen to. I think I must follow you now.
same with me, he has listed off most of my favourite stuff. What headphones do you both use with wm1a?

Dec 20, 2018 at 5:03 AM Post #26,020 of 45,723
We share many interests judging by your signature haha! What a fantastic community this is. Maybe there are some common traits in most audiophiles, who knows...

Dec 20, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #26,021 of 45,723
same with me, he has listed off most of my favourite stuff. What headphones do you both use with wm1a?
I do not own the Wm1a so I can not talk about it...

Dec 20, 2018 at 5:08 AM Post #26,022 of 45,723
Dec 20, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #26,023 of 45,723

We both use Shure SRH1540. I just wish I had the NW-WM1Z...

Dec 20, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #26,024 of 45,723
We both use Shure SRH1540. I just wish I had the NW-WM1Z...
ha, and me it looks stunning. Ive just bought myself a dx200 to play with but I got that for below £500

Dec 20, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #26,025 of 45,723
ha, and me it looks stunning. Ive just bought myself a dx200 to play with but I got that for below £500

I absolutely love the Sony, but the Lotoo Paw Gold Diana is an amazing DAP too and has a special place in my heart as well. I hear the DX200 is good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back