1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
  1. gerelmx1986
    My friend said the WM1A is very dynamic and good sounding

2. nc8000 Contributor
    Am now on 3.01 so will have to see if the crashes have been fixed. Initial database build took about 20 minutes with about 35.000 flac 16/44 tracks filling about 700GB

bden59 likes this.
  3. JeremyLaurenson
    My build dime went from 1:20 down to :23 after 3.01

4. proedros
    looks like 3.01 fixes the bugs , too bad it seems aimed at wm1z devices/owners since 1a becomes inbalanced sonically with it

oh well , 2.0 is just fine for 1a

davidmolliere likes this.
  5. Redcarmoose
    I use 2.0 with the 1A and absolutely love the sound of it. It is fine.

6. Quadfather
    1008!

1214180644b.jpg

7. alphanumerix1
    sound differences between firmware updates lol...

Is that a thing sony does?

8. Whitigir
    It should never be the intentions of any manufacturers to have sound differences VIA firmwares, unless they really intend to do it, which they would then publish in the details.

Anyways, that is what all of them said, but our ears are not easily fooled. The majority of update firmwares have differences in sound signatures. This will need some one as an expert in Coding and software to investigate :)

I also believe that when your new firmware allow you to have faster processing speed, your battery drains will be down faster too, it only makes senses

I am glad to see finally Sony is releasing firmware for WM1 series more often...in comparison to ZX1 or ZX2 LoL

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    fiascogarcia likes this.
  9. gearofwar
    Could anyone here confirm if it's still slow loading the library on 3.01? I'm about to go back to 2.0.

10. nc8000 Contributor
    For me it took about as long on 3.01 as it did on 3.0 which is noticably slower than on 2.0

11. gearofwar
    any sonic differences? hopefully improvement

12. nc8000 Contributor
    Haven’t tried 3.01 yet but I didn’t really detect anything major between 2.0 and 3.0 as opposed to what some have found

13. syke
    NC8000 has the most issues with his. 3.0 was slow (but nothing like what NC8000 has experienced). 3.01 is heaps faster than 3.0 (by a lot...), although not as quick as the 2.0 on the library build. But for everything else 3.01 is snappier than 2.0.
    Unless you are seeing the similar issues as NC8000, I suggest you go with 3.01. He might be experiencing fatal SW errors on his unit that might warrant a visit to the Sony Centre.

14. nc8000 Contributor
    I doubt that as I have had zero issues on 2.0 but we’ll see how I get on with 3.01

15. muschem
    Didn't have any major issues on 3.0, but as others have noted, 3.01 is much faster for the database build.