1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
  1. bitonio
    Macoleco,

The Arya is rated 35 ohms so it should be fine, better even if you get a balanced cable to take most of the WM1A.
    The ADX5000 on the other hand is rate 420 ohms, that should be work ok-ish with the balanced + high gain, but I am not sure that is very recommendable.

2. bitonio
    Thanks. It is a option interesting but I feel like too much stuff to keep around, I prefer reach out the the walkman directly. I often have both my phone in my hands and the DAP in my pocket, so I figured it could be a nice thing to keep the DAP in my pocket. Not the end of the world :) Dear Sony if you read this forum, add this one to a wishlist.

3. Mrcojocaru
    The WM1A does work best with iems, but even though people say it doesn't have enough power, the headphones I've tried with it sound pretty good as well. I have a Sennheiser hd6xx that sounds great, except it could use a bit more bass. My ZMF Eikons sound even better, though not quite as good as with my desktop amp.

I'm curious. Are there daps that power cans really well, guys?

Quadfather likes this.
  4. Macoleco
    Can you recommend one of those balanced cables?

5. bitonio
    There are really a lot of options out there, I wish I had a long list to share, here are the few I bookmarked when doing some research for IEM cable:
    - Null Audio (my CIEM cable is from them)
    - Mimic Cable
    - Moon Audio / Dragon cable
    - Plus Sound
    - LQi
    - Onso

Look at forum user signature, very helpful :)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  6. Whitigir
    Ibasso DX200 and Amp8. It drives Hd800s so very well

Mrcojocaru likes this.
  7. NiVrA
    how many hours does your NW1A last?

8. Redcarmoose
    I’ve never gone more than 50% down with the 1A, but it goes on forever. Strangely my 1Z is not so great, maybe 10 hours only? Though I never tested it, it could be 15 hours? A big discrepancy between the two. And both were purchased new. But the 1A is way more efficient? Don’t know why?
    Though I’m never selling either, so someday I’ll have a new battery installed in the 1Z, then maybe it will be better? The 1Z must have a Monday battery, or maybe the 1Z is not as good with battery saving? Not a big deal as I never leave the house with them. :)

There can be a great difference between each player battery from what I read. Maybe some players were left in 100-113 degree storage facilities before being sent out? Who knows? It’s all over the road with each player if you do the research? Strange!

9. jcdreamer
    I only have the 1Z. I recently decided to see how long the battery actually last. I use the battery saver option, so it only charge up to 90%. I left it on playing FLAC 44.1/ 16 bit out of the balanced output and it went on playing for over twenty two hours and still had one bar left before I aborted the experiment. I am certain I get less playing time than that in actual daily use due to turning on the screen, adjusting volume and changing tunes, etc. It is still mightily impressive.

Steen Pihl and Aslshark like this.
  10. Redcarmoose
    That’s fantastic! Cheers!

11. nc8000 Contributor
    Same for me. I get about 20 hours play time per week and since I never turn it of some charge goes to keeping it in stand by. I charge every Sunday and I also have battery saver enabled

Steen Pihl and jcdreamer like this.
  12. jcdreamer
    I never turn mine off either. I'm too impatient to wait for the database refresh.

13. NiVrA
    I would like to ask if you have tried the QP1R? My friend told me its better than the NW1A? is the 1A too warm for you and thin?

14. Redcarmoose
    Typically in my lingo of sound I put thin at the opposite end of the spectrum to warm. Though at times there can maybe be slightly fuzzy midrange which could be considered thin and warm?

I really haven’t listened to a bunch of DAPs, only the full FiiO line which sounded appalling. Just have owned Apple IPods. Of course I own a Flagship SET 300b tube amp by Woo Audio and the Sony TA amp.

But I’m not the guy to do DAP comparisons. I can say that the 1A is fairly middle of the road. It doesn’t enhance a color of any one type. It’s simply detailed, transparent and engaging. It gets out of the way and lets the headphone have the personality. It’s not warm or cold. Though I insist to use it with FW 2.0 and not FW 3.0 as I like 2.0 better. It does all genres, is easy to use and dependable. It’s built well and looks great. Every time I use it I literally say to myself that it’s all I would ever need. Super powerful too.

I don’t even care about any other DAPs.

McCol and proedros like this.
  15. NiVrA
    ok thank you so much!