SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 5, 2018 at 6:46 AM Post #25,743 of 45,723
Just experienced my first crash. I’ve had my wm1a for 2months and was flashed with fw3.0 on day one. I’m also using a sandisk 400gb card that was flashed in the unit before use.

Got my first crash whilst playing a FLAC 44.1/24. After it rebooted, I tried the same track again. This time it got further into the track before it crashed again. Since then I've been playing an album of FLAC 44.1/16 tracks and it's been fine. I'll return to the other album later on.

I've never played that specific track/album on this dap before, so do wonder whether it's related to how the tracks have been encoded or something. Going to see how it goes, but if the crashes become more frequent then I'll probably end up reverting back to 2.0

Dec 5, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #25,744 of 45,723
Hi giuys im planning on buying this dap...but my friend tells me that its price to performance isnt good?talking about the WM1A...if so do you have any other suggestions at this price point?thanks!

Dec 5, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #25,745 of 45,723
Hi giuys im planning on buying this dap...but my friend tells me that its price to performance isnt good?talking about the WM1A...if so do you have any other suggestions at this price point?thanks!

I would say that price/performance on the 1A is pretty good but a lot less so on the 1Z. However price/performance is no really usefull as a very cheap unit that sounds acceptable can have a better price/performance than a unit that sounds a lot better but also cost a lot more. So it depends on if performance or price/performance is your main purchase criteria.

Dec 5, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #25,746 of 45,723
Has anyone noticed any change in the battery life since the 3.0 update?
I do feel it last a bit less than what i was used to before the V3.00 update, like if the bars go out more quickly than before, f.e a the 2nd day i get sometimes if i platy it a lot just one bar

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #25,747 of 45,723
I would say that price/performance on the 1A is pretty good but a lot less so on the 1Z. However price/performance is no really usefull as a very cheap unit that sounds acceptable can have a better price/performance than a unit that sounds a lot better but also cost a lot more. So it depends on if performance or price/performance is your main purchase criteria.
oh ok thanks! If you were to have only 1k usd budget what would be the best dap to get right now?or is there new dap to be released? i should wait and stick with the HiBy R3?

Dec 5, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #25,748 of 45,723
oh ok thanks! If you were to have only 1k usd budget what would be the best dap to get right now?or is there new dap to be released? i should wait and stick with the HiBy R3?

I honestly couldn’t say. Since I got my 1Z nearly 2 years ago I have totally lost interest in following the dap scene and have not listened to anything else.

Dec 5, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #25,749 of 45,723
Personally I think the 1Z is perfect for me, I don't travel a lot with it, it gets mostly used at home. It also doesn't have streaming services (which is fine) I pure audio player, and in my opinion blows away every other DAP I've ever tested, sound quality and UI experience. The Hiby R3 is a great little DAP that does great on the go, with a good set of IEM's, also some over the ear phones, I'd say anything over 50ohm it starts to show it weakness. I Also think the AK Se1000 is great, it's a bit larger and has some crazy sharp corners (needs a case) but sounds great with IEMS and just about every pair of headphone I've thrown at it. I've also tried the DX150 for a month or so, also great interface and sound, a bit "meatier" than the R6, but personally I've had a kinda of wird issues with streaming, SD cards, sluggish UI, and crashes, but it sounded really close to the WM1Z with amp 8 (balanced 4.4)

I'm waiting for the R6 Pro to be released (hopefully soon) That will most likely be my "on the go device" I do like the Hiby sound and UI.

For now, the Wm1Z is my main listening device, mainly at home, and I use a iPhone with a DragonFly Red on the go. Good Luck. Cheers!

Dec 5, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #25,750 of 45,723
I honestly couldn’t say. Since I got my 1Z nearly 2 years ago I have totally lost interest in following the dap scene and have not listened to anything else.

So true! I've only had mine for a few months, But can't see myself itching to get anything else. Nothing I've tested comes close to It's soundstage. I do however want a smaller DAP with streaming capability, although I'm in no rush. I'll most likely go with the R6 Pro mainly because of UI and 4.4mm pentaconn. Personally I had issues with the R6's sound with my IEM's with it's 10ohm output, everything else I enjoyed.

Dec 5, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #25,751 of 45,723
So true! I've only had mine for a few months, But can't see myself itching to get anything else. Nothing I've tested comes close to It's soundstage. I do however want a smaller DAP with streaming capability, although I'm in no rush. I'll most likely go with the R6 Pro mainly because of UI and 4.4mm pentaconn. Personally I had issues with the R6's sound with my IEM's with it's 10ohm output, everything else I enjoyed.
Thanks! if you were going to upgrade one item at a time..what do you upgrade first?My dap or the iem?

Dec 5, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #25,752 of 45,723

I use my 1Z in the hotel room at night (I travel about 150 nights a year with work) and at the destination on holliday. On the go my iPhone with true wireless iem’s is plenty good enough. At home I have my main rig.

Dec 5, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #25,753 of 45,723
Thanks! if you were going to upgrade one item at a time..what do you upgrade first?My dap or the iem?

DAP is to upgrade first. IEMs or headphones tend to be very revealing, and that means they could get a lot of sizzling sibilants if not plugged into a good source (DAP or Amp)....so, DAP first !

Dec 5, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #25,755 of 45,723
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• domi
Back