SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 25, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #25,621 of 45,723
Integral 512GB microSD on Amazon.co.uk at £120 atm. No idea if it’s legit. Just bought a Samsung 512GB in Denmark for £160

Nov 25, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #25,622 of 45,723
I've never seen a crash with 3.0 on my WM1A or WM1Z.

All my music is FLAC 16/44.1 upto 24/192 or DSD with embed artwork.

Nov 25, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #25,623 of 45,723
been spending the weekend with this...

20181125_115736830_iOS.jpg

and to answer the does it sound better question.

it doesn't sound better or worse just different. a little bit tubey and it allows me a 10 click volume reduction. I will admit I do like the way it sounds with a set of HD 800S at the end of the chain. it doesn't lend itself to being portable or pocketable. it does get warm (it is a tube amp), but not hot although I wouldn't stack it.

all in all (well probably 8 hours this weekend) I plan on keeping this amp. it adds a little something different to the WM-1A without having to mod it

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #25,624 of 45,723
I came from the Fiio X5 2nd gen.. It was so bad lol. I think android is bad on most daps because they are underpowered and have outdated versions of android.

Keep in mind that the WM1Z is a full pound, or .45 kg.. so if you want portability, it's kind of an issue. My WM1A is kinda pushing it, even. I think it's 9 oz. The cables are readily available and pretty cheap. I bought 4 just in case anything happens and to have one in my car. These are the exact ones I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZZSHC67/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you want to use actual headphones, the best way to do that is to get a a balanced cable. The WM1A powers my HD6XX ok. They sound great except it sounds like some of the bass is missing. I tried my new ZMF Eikon and they seem a bit less power hungry than the Senns and have more bass, even through single ended.

Shure SRH1540s work beautifully out of the balanced output on the Sony DAPs.

Nov 27, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #25,626 of 45,723
Bit late to the party but my WM1A arrived yesterday, reasonable price from amazon warehouse with 20% off the price bringing it down to £670, very happy with that. It's in perfect condition and was described as 'like new' by Amazon.

The sound coming from using a ZX300 up until a few days ago seems more layered with more depth and width. Listening with Senn 660s as I type through balanced and the sound is simply stunning, making my 660s come to life.

Nov 27, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #25,627 of 45,723
Nice. I've never heard anything from Shure, tbh. I was going to buy something from them back in the day but heard about some cable issues and decided against it. I've lived my Dunu iems though.

I use surf cables out of the balanced on the Sony

Nov 27, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #25,629 of 45,723
Hi fellow audio addicts!

I'm new here and also relatively new owner of a wm1a . Been checking out this thread for reviews of the firmware 3.0.

Just wanna say that I've been through various daps (dpx1, dx200, ak240ss, zx300) and all daps have their pros and cons. But for those wondering if they should opt for zx300 or wm1a...please go for the wm1a as it's just a matter of time.

Cheers!

Nov 28, 2018 at 5:02 AM Post #25,631 of 45,723
Have you guys ever had a malfunction in your WM1A / 1Z? mine had a problem on bluetooth and went for the warranty. they called me today that they had no parts to repair and they exchanged me for another. It's a little worrying for long ownership.:fingers_crossed:

By the way, I'm going to use the topic to ask a few questions. Where I live does not have a store with a wide variety of headphones to try out. sometimes it can be good and bad at the same time. I'm thinking of taking advantage of this Christmas time and giving socks to my family so I can upgrade my iems / headphones. :o2smile:

The genres I usually listen to are pop / rock / metal / alternative / edm 80% of the time. the iems are to be used exclusively on the WM1A while the headphones can also be used on the walkmam but also on the PC for multimedia / movie consumption etc. I thought about buying Andromeda's and the Sony Z1r / Lcd-x. but I was thinking and also would not be bad thought to buy two headphones a bit opposite each other as for example Vega and the HD800S. What do you guys think? Sorry for the long text.

It can make the hobby a little interactive and mentally taxing trying to get used to two opposite sound signatures, though I do, do it. If anything it shows you the personality of whatever headphone your listening to due to the drastic change. Also you can explore what your preferences are, if still searching. The two can be paired to be complementary too, where one does music in one way and another is excellent with a different style of music.

Still at times using only one IEM helps to become more intimate with the single unit as you mentally focus in more.

Nov 28, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #25,633 of 45,723
I went to 3 audio stores over the weekend and to another yesterday. nobody is carrying any sony DAPs of any kind let alone the WM1A that i want :'( im unable to try it to decide if i should get it. and the only way for me to buy it is through amazon for a whopping 1,500$+tax+shipping.. :frowning2:

Nov 28, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #25,634 of 45,723
buy one used/like new from here , sell it if you don't like it

the small resell loss is a fair price to kill your curiosity

Nov 28, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #25,635 of 45,723
I came from the Fiio X5 2nd gen.. It was so bad lol. I think android is bad on most daps because they are underpowered and have outdated versions of android.

If you want to use actual headphones, the best way to do that is to get a a balanced cable

Android is OS, nothing to do with DAC and nothing to do with amplifier section of a DAP.

May as well say Windows does not sound good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back