1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
  1. nc8000 Contributor
    Integral 512GB microSD on Amazon.co.uk at £120 atm. No idea if it’s legit. Just bought a Samsung 512GB in Denmark for £160

2. Lookout57
    I've never seen a crash with 3.0 on my WM1A or WM1Z.

All my music is FLAC 16/44.1 upto 24/192 or DSD with embed artwork.

3. captblaze
    been spending the weekend with this...

20181125_115736830_iOS.jpg

and to answer the does it sound better question.

it doesn't sound better or worse just different. a little bit tubey and it allows me a 10 click volume reduction. I will admit I do like the way it sounds with a set of HD 800S at the end of the chain. it doesn't lend itself to being portable or pocketable. it does get warm (it is a tube amp), but not hot although I wouldn't stack it.

all in all (well probably 8 hours this weekend) I plan on keeping this amp. it adds a little something different to the WM-1A without having to mod it

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    audionewbi likes this.
  4. Quadfather
    Shure SRH1540s work beautifully out of the balanced output on the Sony DAPs.

Mrcojocaru likes this.
  5. Mrcojocaru
    Nice. I've never heard anything from Shure, tbh. I was going to buy something from them back in the day but heard about some cable issues and decided against it. I've lived my Dunu iems though.

Quadfather likes this.
  6. McCol
    Bit late to the party but my WM1A arrived yesterday, reasonable price from amazon warehouse with 20% off the price bringing it down to £670, very happy with that. It's in perfect condition and was described as 'like new' by Amazon.

The sound coming from using a ZX300 up until a few days ago seems more layered with more depth and width. Listening with Senn 660s as I type through balanced and the sound is simply stunning, making my 660s come to life.

Aslshark and proedros like this.
  7. Quadfather
    I use surf cables out of the balanced on the Sony

8. Whitigir
    I would love a WM1A to experiment on an throughout invasive modifications in order to focus and direct toward audio improvements X_X sounds like a lot of work for what I don’t need. Ideally to have a cheap one 0_0

9. Sasazaki
    Hi fellow audio addicts!

I'm new here and also relatively new owner of a wm1a . Been checking out this thread for reviews of the firmware 3.0.

Just wanna say that I've been through various daps (dpx1, dx200, ak240ss, zx300) and all daps have their pros and cons. But for those wondering if they should opt for zx300 or wm1a...please go for the wm1a as it's just a matter of time.

Cheers!

jumpa likes this.
  10. flyer1
    FW 3.0 sounds absolutely amazing on my 1Z.

Aslshark, Tawek and davidmolliere like this.
  11. Redcarmoose
    It can make the hobby a little interactive and mentally taxing trying to get used to two opposite sound signatures, though I do, do it. If anything it shows you the personality of whatever headphone your listening to due to the drastic change. Also you can explore what your preferences are, if still searching. The two can be paired to be complementary too, where one does music in one way and another is excellent with a different style of music.

Still at times using only one IEM helps to become more intimate with the single unit as you mentally focus in more.

12. Tawek
    Yes I agree in 100% now I love my obravo eamt2c sounds phenomenal with 1z

flyer1 likes this.
  13. Tsukuyomi
    I went to 3 audio stores over the weekend and to another yesterday. nobody is carrying any sony DAPs of any kind let alone the WM1A that i want :'( im unable to try it to decide if i should get it. and the only way for me to buy it is through amazon for a whopping 1,500$+tax+shipping.. :frowning2:

14. proedros
    buy one used/like new from here , sell it if you don't like it

the small resell loss is a fair price to kill your curiosity

bden59 likes this.
  15. whitemouse
    Android is OS, nothing to do with DAC and nothing to do with amplifier section of a DAP.

May as well say Windows does not sound good.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018