1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
  1. nc8000 Contributor
    A 512GB will allow me to fit all of my 2.500 albums on the 1Z in 16/44 flac with a bit to spare so I’ll be getting one and then I’m done

Aslshark likes this.
  2. JML
    Playlists cannot span the internal and microSD locations; in other words, a playlist can be set for only one location's files. You can have playlists in each location.

3. roses77
    Yes I use dynamic normaliser it’s good to keep the volume of the tracks very close volume. As some songs are louder than others so you’d have to adjust the volume for each song. With Dynamic Normalizer you don’t have to that.

flyer1 likes this.
  4. Lookout57
    The initial 512GB cards released are ADATA, PNY and Team in the US and Integral in the UK.

Hopefully Samsung and Sandisk will be releasing theirs soon.

5. nc8000 Contributor
    Samsung is available on UK Amazone

6. nc8000 Contributor
    Depends on the music. It totally kills a piece of classical music where individual parts of the music can intentionally have very different loudness. On the other hand if you do playlists or a lot of random/shuffle it might be usefull

roses77 likes this.
  7. roses77
    That’s a good point. You can turn off all EQ just use direct source, you just have to turn up the volume it’s good to use with very well remastered albums. With the 3.0 firmware the music sounds better than before very wide sound stage, excellent bass slam, better instrument separation. It’s good to use dynamic normalizer for MP3S & as I have YouTube music converted to Flac use DSHEE to upscale to CD quality really works.

8. roses77
    You’ll miss the Sony WM1Z if you sell it as Sony may not make another Copper gold version in future. Next year is the 40th anniversary for Sony Walkman, if maybe they’ll be a new one next year.

Vitaly2017, davidmolliere and flyer1 like this.
  9. Whitigir
    They don’t make Copper gold plated body, they do make copper goldplated volume knob on DMP-Z1 :D, that price range and product probably won’t come around the second time

10. Redcarmoose
    90140A6F-389C-498B-AAD5-28B4ECAE130E.jpeg C24560D1-AD7D-49EF-BDC7-34735AC0F8F1.jpeg

The BGVP DM6

animalsrush, rtjoa, Dizzle77 and 3 others like this.
  11. Whitigir
    Beautiful pictures ! I love it !

Redcarmoose likes this.
  12. shootertwist
    Hi guys, i'm a recent owner of the ZX300 and like it a lot that i'm considering jumping ship to the WM1A and get one over the weekend... just want to be sure that the features are the same and i'm not missing out on anything the zx300 has, can the WM1A also be used as
    1. USB dac when connected to an iphone via the walkman cable and apple's camera adaptor (i think previous posts show this works just want to be sure)
    2. The WM1A can be used as bluetooth adaptor and connect it to other bluetooth devices/phones and stream tidal, spotify etc
    3. USB dac on mac/pc
    4. using the WMC-NWH10 USB, i can use it as transport and connect it to dac/amps such as chord mojo, etc

And of course lastly, since i'm buying it late in the game is it still worth getting one? are there any expected new releases in the next month? if its about 3 months or more before a new one is introduced, i will most likely go for it, especially since sony products arrive about a month after US releases here in our country... thanks in advance looking forward to your inputs :)

13. kubig123
    Lexar is available on Adorama
    https://www.adorama.com/ilxhpuhsi512.html

14. WindowsX
    Some people sent modded WM1Z to me fixing output short circuit issues and want me to complete the mod without losing original Sony sound signature.

DSC_1528.JPG

By the way, it seems ground channel on 4.4 connector isn't used at all (and I thought it was reserved for gold plated body version). So, I added ground connection to make proper use of 4.4 ground channel here. If you have 4.4 cable with ground connection, you can make use of it better than just connector's ground. :)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  15. Whitigir
    Ground connection is not used by Sony for a reason. But I see how excited it is to work on the 1Z :wink: