SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 5, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #24,226 of 45,723
Oct 5, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #24,227 of 45,723
Nice. Thanks! Are those Windows version firmware installers?

Edit: Sorry, you already said they were!

Just so you know, I used his Dropbox to go back to 2.0 with the 1A. They worked perfect. He has all the FW listed so you just look for the one you want to roll back to.

Oct 5, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #24,228 of 45,723
Aren't those version 1.02? Or am I reading them incorrectly?

Yes, they are my mistake and his! Funny too as I rolled back with those till I found out they were 1.02!

Oct 5, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #24,229 of 45,723
question for iPhone users:
1) For bluetooth, when i pair my output says "AAC" which i believe is lossy even though i'm streaming music from Qobuz or Deezer in HD quality -- is a limitation of iPhone or do i have some setting incorrect?
2) for actual USB DAC i use the apple camera dongle and even with unchecking the "charge when using" option on the Sony i still do not get any sound coming out from iPhone stream.
do i have some settings incorrect for both BT quality somewhere?
thanks

Yes, unfortunately iPhone doesn't have a quality bluetooth option ;-( no APTX or anything like that. It sucks, yes. For example, with Hugo2, my iPhone as a source was generating some unaudible hissing.

Oct 5, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #24,230 of 45,723
question for iPhone users:

1) For bluetooth, when i pair my output says "AAC" which i believe is lossy even though i'm streaming music from Qobuz or Deezer in HD quality -- is a limitation of iPhone or do i have some setting incorrect?

thanks
As far as I know, yes that's an iOS limitation, no LDAC support.

Oct 5, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #24,231 of 45,723
Yes, they are my mistake and his! Funny too as I rolled back with those till I found out they were 1.02!
Yeah, I'm a day late and a dollar short on my posts today. Just noticed you had already discovered this! So, what version are you going to use with the 1Z? I haven't yet listened enough with 3.0 to make a judgement.

Oct 5, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #24,232 of 45,723
After today I’m running 3.0 with the 1Z but found FW 2.0 to be better sounding with the 1A. Oh.... and that early 1.02FW was causing issues with the 1A for some reason? Scary.

Disclaimer:
Everyone has different IEMs and different likes in sound signature; your results may vary from mine. Cheers!

To get slightly wordy.......3.0 with the 1Z is like Christmas. I had this feeling that I rarely get after I started to get used to what I was hearing. To me 3.0 with the 1Z is an experience. It’s like the old Sony sound but updated into the future? I love it. Makes the 1Z a whole new player.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #24,233 of 45,723
I can see Walkman from Sound Setting (Output) at System Preference. But it appears on and off, not stable, try another USB port, similar problem. I have reported to Sony Support team.
Btw, my Mac OS is Mojave .
Photo below describe my problem encountered

20181005_222642.jpg

Oct 5, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #24,235 of 45,723
Contrary to many, I find the 3.0 on 1Z to be warmer by quite a margin. Soundstage goes wider but not too much. Notes are more solid and controlled with less reverb. I really like the vinyl option surface noise, as vocals become even more lush, truly analog-like. All in all, a really nice update, great job Sony!

Oct 5, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #24,236 of 45,723
What's your iPhone? I tried on my 4s (yeah, no new iPhone yet), it needed the camera kit and yes, charge this device from the source to work. but it did output audio.

iPhone Xs Max with CCK 2.0. I only plan to steam Apple Music and Netflix so don't see the need for wired mode. AAC BT is exactly what I was looking for.

I can’t believe you think it sounds the same as 2.0?

I just got my 4.4mm cable and relatively new WM1z owner so certainly not an authority. Either way, I am very pleased with how my Laylas sound.

Oct 5, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #24,237 of 45,723
iPhone Xs Max with CCK 2.0. I only plan to steam Apple Music and Netflix so don't see the need for wired mode. AAC BT is exactly what I was looking for.

I just got my 4.4mm cable and relatively new WM1z owner so certainly not an authority. Either way, I am very pleased with how my Laylas sound.

Started with the 1Z in November right as FW 2.0 came out. It was confusing learning how the sound changed with burn in and the change to 2.0. But I was able to get a better understanding with the player at 200 hours of burn in with 2.0.

But it really is a personal thing and everyone perceives things different. Plus we all have different IEMs. There is also the new toy phenomenon. At times anything new sounds better, when in reality it’s just new.

But my understanding is we tend to notice things right off then other things start to emerge days and days later.

We will read how everyone reacts to this update. I can kinda tell already that there will be both DAC implementing issues with folk’s computers as well different perceptions of the sound of the update on the three players Sony made.

Oct 5, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #24,238 of 45,723
you can remove the embedded cover files form files using mp3tag and export a single picture

very curious to see how much i would save, but stuck on the export step

so i just selected 1 album to test it and when i highlight, go to quick tools, export cover to file, add %_directory% and then ok...it processes files, but comes up with zeros and nothing is in the directory..i then tried click front cover only and same results

is the filename generated cover.jpg or folder.jpg?

TIA

Oct 5, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #24,239 of 45,723
Contrary to many, I find the 3.0 on 1Z to be warmer by quite a margin. Soundstage goes wider but not too much. Notes are more solid and controlled with less reverb. I really like the vinyl option surface noise, as vocals become even more lush, truly analog-like. All in all, a really nice update, great job Sony!

Are you trying to listen to older recordings which are thin sounding and listening if the player is adding warmth, or listening to modern recordings?

I say this because 3.0 will sound almost warmer if you listening to a modern HD track with a bunch of low end. It’s strange because more detail on a bass heavy track CAN make 3.0 sound super warm?

3.0 sounds warmer with this track in 192/24?

I think it’s the capacity now which we have?

But who knows? We have only had this for a day. Anything could happen as far as folks perception!

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #24,240 of 45,723
Yeah the more I listen the more I like 2.0 over 3.0. 2.0 to me is warmer...3.0 being a little brighter but I don't know if there are any more details really . It's just brighter. I wish I could have 2.0 sound with 3.0 software
My friends fourte is too sharp with 3.0 for example. Unpleasantly so. And I'm not sensitive to sibilance

Well.

Another thing. All dap manufacturers don't recognize or admit that software does alter sound... I find that a little *elementary school temperament *...

I guess I'll keep 3. 0 because of the awesome Bluetooth/usb dac features that should of been available from day one of this player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back