SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 4, 2018 at 4:22 AM Post #24,062 of 45,723
Hello all, I plan on getting the WM1A, can anyone confirm the following:

1. Does it handle 400gb cards ok?
2. Can someone confirm the output on the SE output? I've read it's about 57mw, which sounds a bit feeble to me. I know the balanced has more output.

Many thanks.

Oct 4, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #24,065 of 45,723
I guess this marks the completion of WM1 series.

Oct 4, 2018 at 4:56 AM Post #24,067 of 45,723
For those who wants to display cover art for files like wav dff etc, you need to place the picture (baseline jpg or non-interlace png, no larger than 4096 px x 4096 px) in the folder and then rename the cover art file with the same name as the folder. Once you've done that it will show up.

Oct 4, 2018 at 4:59 AM Post #24,068 of 45,723
And now there are also streaming services :wink:

unnamed.jpg

Oct 4, 2018 at 5:01 AM Post #24,069 of 45,723
Agreed that there's better imaging and wider soundstage. The placement seems to be improved as well. Do u think it's slightly more laid back?
I wouldnt really say its laid back tbh i think its abit more upfront now.

Oct 4, 2018 at 5:05 AM Post #24,070 of 45,723
I wouldnt really say its laid back tbh i think its abit more upfront now.
Ah wait i take it back on some tracks it sounds abit laidback while on some its quite forward, for treble heavy tracks it sounds abit more forward.

Oct 4, 2018 at 5:31 AM Post #24,071 of 45,723
This update comes via MediaGo too. Nice and easy.

Oct 4, 2018 at 5:51 AM Post #24,072 of 45,723
The US Sony site has new versions of the user manual and help guide referring to the v.3.0 firmware update, but the update itself isn't out. https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/digital-music-players-nw-wm-series/nw-wm1a#/downloadTab

This is what they say about 3.0 in the help guide:
  • The Bluetooth Receiver function has been added.
  • Vinyl Processor has been added to the sound quality settings.
  • Digital Peak Meter has been added to the layout options for the playback screen.
  • A function for manually adding cover art images to albums has been added.
  • The USB-DAC function has been added.

Reading through that link, I found a bullet point under “Before you upgrade” that states
  • After updating, the firmware cannot be reverted to an earlier version.
Is this restriction something new that will prevent manual firmware downgrades?

Oct 4, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #24,073 of 45,723
Reading through that link, I found a bullet point under “Before you upgrade” that states

They said the same for 2.0 but people still downgrade to earlier. I think you just have to rebuild the database as the internal format has changed, or perhaps do a factory reset (thereby loosing your play time counter). I don't know as I have not personally tried to downgrade

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018 at 6:39 AM Post #24,074 of 45,723
Things I've tested that works:
Sony Walkman stock cable (and the cheapo replacement cable) + WM1a + PC/laptop = works as a DAC for the PC/laptop
Sony Walkman Cradle BCR-NWH10 (on PC mode) + WM1a = works as a DAC from the PC/laptop
SONY Walkman Micro USB Plug Adapter WMP-NWM10 + WM1a + microusb to usb type c interconnect + phone = works as a DAC
iphone 4s + apple camera kit + walkman cable = the connected device takes too much power (doesn't work)
Sony XZ Premium on bluetooth + WM1a as Bluetooth receiver = Works perfectly fine, little to no lag

Edit: There is an option in settings for USB DAC Settings, uncheck the Charge this player from the connected device, and iPhone 4s works, so I'd assume that current iPhones will work as well.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018 at 6:46 AM Post #24,075 of 45,723
What I noticed after updating:
-less warm
-better ADSR and PRaT

-New playback screen (Digital peak meter)
-wider stage and better imaging

Note that all of these are tested with direct source off, eq off, volume normalizer one, DSEE HX (Standard), DC Phase (Type A Standard). And like with everything on the internet, take it with a grain of salt :) Good'day y'all!.

wm1a or wm1z ?

can anybody confirm/deny this , please ?

would love to try 3.0 but 2.0 is ok so may wanna revert to it if 3.0 is not to my liking

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back