1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
  1. NaiveSound
    You guys think the 1a/1z successor for the 40th anniversary will have wifi capabilities? With the great sound?

2. PointyFox
    WiFi in 2018? Scientific advancement can only happen so fast. :)

3. captblaze
    If I had a USB B female to micro USB adaptor I would try, but unfortunately I don't

4. superuser1
    No worries. Thanks for giving me as much input as you have.

5. Redcarmoose
    63E60277-0A5E-4C6F-B9FE-05925B33CD07.jpeg
    It’s great you had a chance to hear the 1Z. Part of your life experience could have been expectation bias. You had read about the 1Z here for years, then upon first test, the sky didn’t open up, nor did mountains move while listening. That said one headphone will show the difference more than another. After time the difference becomes greater, at least in my experience. With my new IEMs, they have an adjustable crossover. Bass boost on, they are better with the 1A. Bass boost off they shine with the 1Z.

Whitigir and Aslshark like this.
  6. gerelmx1986
    I hope the new 40th anniversary walkman does not have wifi, I am not interested in streaming

7. gerelmx1986
    Seems like the WM1X walkmans are able to decode thru FLAC errors. What? i hear some one whistling on a song i have on my WM1A and on two backup drives the same song, there is no "person whistling"

8. emrelights1973
    Why it becomes a paper brick? Still is The best dap in the world with sp1000

9. Redcarmoose
    The classic trajectory could be viewed just like the enthusiasm with Apple IPods in 2008 at Head-Fi. Now if you had an IPod or a Z1 “gold brick” on the coffee table in front of you; which would you choose?

In 5 years time could members on this thread have the same question put forth with a 40th anniversary and “the gold brick”? Choose one?

I truly feel we have reached a sonic pinnacle where flagship DAPs are now at the level of sports-cars or rare guitars. They will be of intrinsic value due to their personality. I could always be wrong though?

superuser1 likes this.
  10. AeroSatan
    Told ya, people make a big deal outta the SQ between the two to either justify the price difference or being a victim of the placebo effect. Truth is most pp here wouldn't tell a difference in balanced mode with the same music file and same headphones between the two Daps

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    Quadfather likes this.
  11. Redcarmoose
    Again different headphones react different, with some showing a more dramatic difference. It's a 10% improvement at times with the Z1. But with some IEMs the 1A actually sounds better. But I have to disagree with people not noticing the difference. The 1Z simply has way more bass. The 1Z has a different treble. I was the guy who purchased the 1A months after buying the 1Z.

The biggest difference with the 1Z is the sound is closer, clearer and more forward. It's warmer, less midcentric and more V shaped than the 1A. I would have sold my 1Z if they were really that close to the same.

Aslshark, Whitigir and siruspan like this.
  12. Sarcasmo
    Didn't work for me last night with my RHA L1 using micro usb input. I'm not too confident with my current cable so I'll borrow a friends and try again over the weekend.

superuser1 likes this.
  13. siruspan
    There is 2,5 price difference so the big question is: should we be angry with sony for making wm1z so expensive or should we be thankfull for making wm1a so cheap :wink:
    For example Astell sp1000 copper is the same price as steel one.

14. emrelights1973
    Both 3500$ :) and I bought the SS one

15. Redcarmoose
    I believe there is a 10% difference, and I believe I always hear the same difference out of the same IEM. Maybe eveyone will not perceive the sound differences as I? Though if it’s true that the 10% is there and it is of a different quality it’s always that diminished returns effect.

Headphone audio is nothing if you compare it to full-size stereos. $30,000 power amps, $10,000 DACs. To get that last small percentage has always been costly and not of total smart value.

But it’s true for many they may not hear differences or not see the value in the differences, this whole hobby is subjective in nature. But for those who hear the value then it’s worthwhile. The 1Z is like a car company making some race car where no expense was denied so that a pinnacle of sound/speed/agility could be achieved. Maybe some of that 1Z R and D was sheltered from the 1A, hence the 1A value. I believe the 1A is a tremendous value in personal audio. This value does not become apparent till you play with something like the FiiO flagship.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    proedros likes this.