SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 24, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #21,766 of 45,723
47AD6DDD-36ED-4A88-858C-090FA0A6CB38.jpeg
93217B81-0C5A-4399-82A5-303FCD027B39.jpeg
A3C33F70-0B0C-450E-B2E1-F065670A330A.jpeg
Guys, any one with a dissassembled wm1a pictures, or know what brand is the nand flash or internal storage used inside ?

I found only 2 pieces of info, some picture of a disassembeled wm1z which shows sk hynix e-nand used,

While the service manual has a picture that shows nand flash as toshiba, but this might be a picture from an older device.

Pictures of 1A/1Z

Jul 25, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #21,767 of 45,723
Hello
I am interested in Sony NW-WM1A european version but I have to clarify a fundamental doubt about the power output of headphone jacks (both unbalanced and balanced).
I am currently using a Shanling M2S with an output impedance of 4.8 ohms and the result is good at the sound power level.
Does Sony NW-WM1A european version output impedance offer more output power than the Shanling M2S?

I use the following Iems and headphones:
JH Audio Michelle
JH Audio Rosie
Denon AH-D7200 (impedance of 32 but likes the loud volume)

I'm a bit deaf and I like to listen at a high volume.
I suppose that with JH there should be no problem but with the Denon I do not have anything clear.

Can you clarify my doubts please?

Jul 25, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #21,768 of 45,723
Hello
I am interested in Sony NW-WM1A european version but I have to clarify a fundamental doubt about the power output of headphone jacks (both unbalanced and balanced).
I am currently using a Shanling M2S with an output impedance of 4.8 ohms and the result is good at the sound power level.
Does Sony NW-WM1A european version output impedance offer more output power than the Shanling M2S?

I use the following Iems and headphones:
JH Audio Michelle
JH Audio Rosie
Denon AH-D7200 (impedance of 32 but likes the loud volume)

I'm a bit deaf and I like to listen at a high volume.
I suppose that with JH there should be no problem but with the Denon I do not have anything clear.

Can you clarify my doubts please?

I drive JH13 and the Sony Z1R from my 1Z on balanced low gain with volume 50 and 90 so there is lots more power. You will need to run the rockbox tool on an EU unit to remove the volume cap and enable high gain and you really should use balanced to get the best from these players

Jul 25, 2018 at 4:09 AM Post #21,769 of 45,723
Sony NW WM1A K MODSony WM1A K Mod.jpg
Sony NW WM1A K MODSony WM1A K Mod_7.jpg
I've had my freshly K Mod'd Wm1a back for a couple of days and Wow, thanks to everyone who recommended doing it. First off the power/ current increase is amazing, not that my IEMs are hungry in that sense but the extra body and definition and layering in pretty much all parts of frequency range is pretty impressive. I'm not a bass head, but the 3d resolution with the mod is something else and finally just edge the DX200/amp4 combo which was the best i'd heard from a DAP, although its still not quite as good as the Hugo2 which to my mind is not really fair comparison anyway.

The whole process of dealing with Music Sanctuary from the UK, was as smooth and not far off as quick as it would be dealing with someone here. it took 3 weeks pretty much on the dot to complete the mod, burn it in and test it, the return shipping took 3 days and was included in the cost. The comms with Calvin were great throughout and so far i've not had to wait longer than 24 hours for an email response and i was able to get Calvin on the phone both of the times i needed to.

There is i slight sting in the tale for me though and that is having followed this while i was waiting for the WM1a returned i accidentally bought a pair or A18s, then yesterday i got been thumped by an unexpected tax bill, so i'm having to sell most of my headfi apart from some core bits ie my Hugo2 and the A18s. I might be able to keep the WM1a, if i can sell all my excess cables and SMe9s, but i am testing the water in the classifieds with it. I'm sure theres a cautionary tale or one of Esops fables for that covers the situation i find myself in, but fortunately it all comes in small and similar enough black boxes for my wife to notice my stupidity! :frowning2: :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #21,772 of 45,723
Out of curiosity Whitigir how do you find the WM1Z stacks up sonically against the DX200 with one of the better AMP cards?

Wm1Z can only do so much, while Dx200 can practically do so much more. Especially with different amp modules, the sonic signatures with either improvements or side-stepping have no limits. One of the best module I love so much now is the latest module Amp8. It has less than 0.37 ohms output impedance, 1.2W of total power with current upto 2700mAH. It now driving my Hd800S very nicely.

If you put WM1Z inside it territory and also limited Dx200 under the same circumstances, the Wm1Z will be slightly superior sonically, and majority is battery life. But if you fully allow Dx200 to extend it features and practicality, the Dx200 is not to be underestimated. In fact, I have started playing DSD512 stored onto 400Gb cards, and the performances of it is worthy of upper tier desktop performances. The dx200 can also Do live conversion of DSD512 via USB-DAC features, which heavily relying on the PC and it built, but then even out of my Built PC, the Dx200 still show it limitations of it physically and technically inferiors in compare to Desktop Pieces. However, Offline conversion is another story

Simply concluded it, if you want just a portable player with great performances and reliability, playing PCM and long lasting battery, the wm1Z is excellent answer. But if you need anymore than this, the Dx200 will always win, both practicality and sonically. See ? Playing Offline conversion DSD512, Wm1Z is simply no match (incapable), even desktop piece such as lks004 will shy away from this little player :). There are reasons for this, which I have experienced it myself and not just talking out of my butts

The one thing I have not done while having my wm1Z before. That I have not taken considerations about converting into DSD256 which both 1A/Z are capable of playing natively. I do know that battery will considerably be drained down though. I would advise you guys to try it and report back.

The software I am using is Xivero sampler converter, it is free to demo for 1 minute conversion and it cost $19.99. <==== click on the link

Now, why would you want to do this offline conversion ? Remember I have built my Dedicated PC for my Stax system before ? I came across a very interesting finding regarding the Digital interfaces, the timing, the power supplies....etc...all of these little reasons will affect the sound quality. Offline conversion is using an algorithm under different sigma-delta modulations. But because it is a processing conversion, the PC can take all the time and whatever power that it needs to calculate, process and convert at the utmost accuracy. All you compromise for is storage spaces.

Again, what is DSD ? It is a Processed Digital signals, which was processed from PCM with applied (sigma-Delta algorithm) and it is depends on studios to add or subtracting flavors (they call it remastering). Majority of the records are based on PCM for ease of edits, and storage, processing reasons. Then they get converted to DSD.

Regardless, it is still a can of worm, which I have no interests in debating or picking up wriggling reasons. If you are a true enthusiast, your ears will be first, and then reasons later. If so, I urged you to try this offline conversion into DSD256 for your newest Walkman, and then report back it performances. Surely it will surprise you :)

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #21,773 of 45,723
About the boot loops and some things i've heard

* Don't directly delete files/folders from your WM1 or ZX300. I've been doing this for ages and never had an issue with my WM1A
*Use the microSD card only with the PC. I've used the SD card mounted and unmounted from my WM1A, again never had an issue. I use it mounted on the 1A when i transfer a few new music, but unmounted whn i am about to transfer huge amounts of muisc to it to benefit from USB 3.0 speeds
*Don't shut it down while it is working on the database. This is right, i usually leave it do its DB update/creation business for a while, I know wiht me it takes for the first time arround 15 minutes to fully create the DB with both memories filled at max capacity.

I usually as extra careful step and to asses wether i need a new HDD or retransfer the backups, I check my Lossless library for corruption, though for DSD data, it is more complicated as with FLAC because DSD does not have error robustness

Jul 25, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #21,778 of 45,723
I have an NW-WM1A thats about 18 months old. As some of you know, it locked up while creating the database and I had to power it off and on again. Its almost certainly just a software problem.

Its stuck in a continual reboot look - it powers on, I see the logo and then the "wavy lines" for around 45 seconds, and it reboots again.

I called Sony multiple times this last few days and they informed me of a few things:

1... Under warrantee your unit is simply swapped out for a new unit... however they have no actual units available for this.
2... If you are not under warrantee there is a company authorized in the US to do repairs: United Radio Service Inc. at 1-800-634-8606.
3... United Radio tells me that they have called Sony on this particular model and Sony was not willing/able to give them the main board programming software. As a result a WM1A is an "Unservicable item"
4... So right now my case has "been referred to upper management" @ Sony so we'll see what happens.

The latest is that after upper management looked at it, Sony is going to ship me a new unit. SO thats great...

About the boot loops and some things i've heard

* Don't directly delete files/folders from your WM1 or ZX300. I've been doing this for ages and never had an issue with my WM1A
*Use the microSD card only with the PC. I've used the SD card mounted and unmounted from my WM1A, again never had an issue. I use it mounted on the 1A when i transfer a few new music, but unmounted whn i am about to transfer huge amounts of muisc to it to benefit from USB 3.0 speeds
*Don't shut it down while it is working on the database. This is right, i usually leave it do its DB update/creation business for a while, I know wiht me it takes for the first time arround 15 minutes to fully create the DB with both memories filled at max capacity.

I usually as extra careful step and to asses wether i need a new HDD or retransfer the backups, I check my Lossless library for corruption, though for DSD data, it is more complicated as with FLAC because DSD does not have error robustness

I am very concerned about the likelihood that my new WM1A is also bricked in the same way and will, at that point, be well outside of warrantee.

What does "Use the microSD card only with the PC" mean - Sony recommends formatting in the WM1a - are you saying to power down, put card into PC, copy files, replace card back into WM1a and power on each time? This ticking time bomb has me wondering it I should just sell it when it comes, brand new in the box instead of Russian roulette.

Jul 25, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #21,780 of 45,723
The latest is that after upper management looked at it, Sony is going to ship me a new unit. SO thats great...

I am very concerned about the likelihood that my new WM1A is also bricked in the same way and will, at that point, be well outside of warrantee.

What does "Use the microSD card only with the PC" mean - Sony recommends formatting in the WM1a - are you saying to power down, put card into PC, copy files, replace card back into WM1a and power on each time? This ticking time bomb has me wondering it I should just sell it when it comes, brand new in the box instead of Russian roulette.
The WM1A has an option to mount/unmount the SD card without turning it off. Toolbox icon > settings > device settings > Mount/unmount SD card.

My WM1A is already out of warranty period since november 2017

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back