1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
  1. Redcarmoose
    It may depend on your computers processing power too? But a long........long....time.

2. kingdixon
    I have some questions in mind, don't know if they were asked but i couldn't find them on previous pages.

I wanted to talk pros and cons of native vs dop. (not raising an argument or a debate just checking which is the better way to go for most people here)

Did anyone feel a clear difference between native DSD vs DOP on wm1a, even if there is a track you feel that it shows a difference more evident than other tracks, mention it here.

I can't touch a difference but my mind keeps telling me go native go native LOL, so about other aspects how is the battery consumption for both, which is more heavy on the battery ?

An advantage for me with the DOP that it responds to dynamic normalizer, i don't need to alter the volume too much, but using native the volume is always lower than flacs when iam shuffling, so i keep changing volume.

Also, on a side note, i always use dynamic normalizer because i like the idea, but i never really compared the music with and without, now i read lots of people hating on dynamic normalizer, i will have to compare it out myself but for people who shuffle, do you use it or not ??

3. gerelmx1986
    I once did for 45,000+ FLAC files it took 1 week (i made pauses at night by turning the pc off)
    Today i have 54, 268 files

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  4. gerelmx1986
    One more thing I want included on the sony 40th anniversary or FW update for WM1A is: Simplified Screen-shot making process.

Do the 3s power button press and bring the dialog of turning it off or restart and include an option ofr taking screenshot

5. Whitigir
    Native DSD is only playback within the player, as soon as you go digital output, it gets converted to Multi-bit, and that is going to be DSD over PCM, which is DOP

6. nc8000 Contributor
    And only on the balanced side. The single ended side is also converted

7. kingdixon
    I guess i understood wrong then, when i uncheck the native DSD option, what am i listening to now ? i thought it converts to PCM.

8. Whitigir
    If you uncheck the Native DSD, it probably is down conversion to PcM as it is the thing that Walkman do back in Zx2, zx2 was unable to do Native DSD

Aslshark and kingdixon like this.
  9. gerelmx1986
    And it is the best DSD to PCM conversion 've heard to date

kingdixon likes this.
  10. Quasimodosbelfry
    I have dynamic normalizer turned on all the time. What's there to hate?

11. kingdixon
    Well, i use it as replay gain, and i think thats what it is intended to do, but read other opinions, that it works using a compression algorithm that cause quality loss and affects the dynamics of the song itself, but i don't hear anything wrong LOL, So wanted to see if someone else use it or not

12. Quasimodosbelfry
    Yeah, me neither. Maybe my ears are too old

kingdixon likes this.
  13. Giraku
    It requires one extra step of signal processing that may adversely affect the sound quality. So for the purist (including me), any processing is better to be avoided whenever you can. I realize that this sounds like I'm OCD...

rcoleman1 likes this.
  14. Redcarmoose
    As has been noted in other threads, Dynamic Normalizer is not EQ or dynamic volume adjustment, but a sledgehammer compression algorithm, like the infamous Pro Tools Finalizer. It's the same technology that the industry is using in the Loudness War (google) to squash all recorded music into the dynamic equivalent of Death Magnetic. Some critics of the Loudness War say that "hot" (=overcompressed) music has become so prevalent today that younger listeners have come to prefer it. Music with totally squashed dynamics is the new normal. If bricked music is anyone's personal preference, then the Dynamic Squasher, er, Normalizer is the setting for them.
    6C6C22D8-F7FF-4DB7-8D14-B8261EF749C1.jpeg
    https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sonys-dynamic-normalizer-bad-idea.451513/

rcoleman1 likes this.
  15. krayzie
    IIRC the dynamic normalizer was first made available on the MZ-RH1 minidisc recorder. I don't think it was really intended for music use but for speech recordings, then again I could be wrong. On that machine if the normalizer is turned on, any DSP special effects / EQ functions would be disabled.