1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
  1. nanaholic
    The clicking is due to a mechanical protection relay in the headphone output which is triggered whenever some things happen in the circuit such as changing clocks which could lead to a fluctuation in the output and causes damage to the headphone and/or your ears. It is completely normal.

2. Whitigir
    A scientific reason is that human has 2 ears, and so a separated 2 channels will work better than a 1-0.75 channel (which is single ended) LOL!

3. Redcarmoose
    E8BF83D2-35A6-4AC6-B6A5-01021C698FA7.jpeg
    Peoples interpretation of bass and too much bass can vary from person to person. But I would completely agree that the woolly sound your getting is simply because the 4.4mm TRRRS Pentaconn amplifier section is not burned in enough. You will notice the biggest differences in the first 50 hours, where the soundstage will open up and the tone will become more balanced. Then after an additional 150 hours you will have reached the time area Sony has recommended for burn-in. It’s due to the style of Panasonic capacitors they use, which are very different. These burn in recommendations are actually written directions built into the firmware for everyone to read and follow; not my opinion.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  4. rcoleman1
    @Redcarmoose which Sony IEM and cable is that pictured above?

5. mwhals
    That is just physics. You always get less energy output than what is input, because nothing is 100% efficient.

NaiveSound likes this.
  6. Redcarmoose
    Sony XBA-Z5

Sony Flagship from 2014, still not replaced as their top dog IEM. Though many of us think a new Sony Flagship will be out soon!
    https://www.sony.co.id/en/electronics/in-ear-headphones/xba-z5

Sony MUC-M12NB1 Headphone Cable 4.4mm Pentaconn-MMCX

“The MUC-M12NB1 audio cable delivers high quality sound, reproducing the atmosphere of the original recording thanks to its Star Quad structure. Silver coated OFC is used, resulting in smooth high frequencies. Separate left and right ground conductors give a feeling of acoustic space and ensure tight bass sound.”

Went for it as it just looked better built than the Kimber next to it at Sony Flagship store Japan. Made in China though! Only $129.

My humble opinion:
    Perfect length, sounds good.

http://www.accessoryjack.com/sony-muc-m12nb1-balanced-standard-1-2m-headphone-cable-black.html
    They sell em on EBay.
    https://www.sony-asia.com/electronics/headphone-extension-cables/muc-m12nb1

linux4ever and rcoleman1 like this.
  7. rcoleman1
    Thanks for the Sony info @Redcarmoose. Considering a Sony IEM for my 1Z.

8. Redcarmoose
    XBA-N3BP Is another and it actually comes with the 4.4mm cable. Also the N3 IEM fits better and has better over-all ergonomics than the Z5. Still the Z5 is a more mature sound.........but it costs 2X as much.

9. Hanafuda

mmmmm .... miyako manju.

10. Redcarmoose
    Lol. Gone......

11. Hanafuda

Yeah they never last long. When I lived in Japan, I was in Hiroshima where they make momiji manju (shaped like a maple leaf). I suffered withdrawals when I left lol.

Happy 4th.

12. kingdixon
    Guys any one know where i can get a custom adapter with one side 4.4 mm male right angle and the other side 3.5 mm trrs female, ideally just in one piece, if not, a cable also would be fine, for a reasonable price may be around 50$ more or less

13. kubig123
    Sound quite an impossible quest. On buyee you can find some adapters with a right angle 4.4mm plug, but if you consider the fees and shipping, they will cost around $100. If you want to built one your self, pentaconn is the only manufacturer that produces right angle plugs, but just the plug cost over $50.

14. kingdixon
    Lol, sorry i didnt check the prices of the pentacon plugs, i only searched for ready made ones and couldnt find any, so i was thinking it is just an adapter meh .. hahaha i guess it is different now after knowing the prices, well i will do more searching, and i will tell here if i reached something out, because i cant walk around like this .. too ugly LOL also afraid it affects the socket badly.

20180704_223733.jpg

15. kubig123
    Yes,
    In the long run it can damage the socket, consider also the possibility to re-terminate the cable, it could be the cheapest option.