SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 17, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #18,016 of 45,723
Jan 18, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #18,017 of 45,723
Quick question for owners. Are the rings around the headphone jacks supposed to move? If I press my finger on either and rotate clockwise, I notice both rings move. There're a little loose for my liking, but not too bad. I just wondered if this was common on all models or if I got some sort of defect. Thanks!

9947503.jpg

Jan 18, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #18,018 of 45,723
So, new owner here, quick question: If I have a HD600 with balanced cables terminated in a 4 pin XLR (Neutrik), would and adapter like this be enough to enjoy the 4.4mm balanced output available in my WM1A? OR I absolutely need to buy a 4.4mm balanced cable for them? Whatever might be the case, could you wonderful people recommend good adapters (or, if necessary, cables) for the HD600?

Jan 18, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #18,020 of 45,723
Some AK products have much less battery life.

Yes that’s true Ak Daps have 7hrs battery life the 1st 3 generations as it uses more battery power as you don’t need to use EQ in flac format & Ak Daps Sound more energetic. Using direct source on Sony battery life is longer. If you use EQ it doesn’t last as long as I charge it to 90% uses more battery power.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 5:57 AM Post #18,021 of 45,723
Quick question for owners. Are the rings around the headphone jacks supposed to move? If I press my finger on either and rotate clockwise, I notice both rings move. There're a little loose for my liking, but not too bad. I just wondered if this was common on all models or if I got some sort of defect. Thanks!

9947503.jpg

Yes mine does that too. So does my old MP3 Sony Dap, SE is little loose. But nothing to worry about it.

Jan 18, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #18,022 of 45,723

9947503.jpg

They are designed to be loose on purpose to help with stress relief on the jack caused by plug movement.

Jan 18, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #18,023 of 45,723
I like to add also, the socket unlike most units, it's not soldered direct to the mainboard, but held in place by the whole aluminum body.

Jan 18, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #18,024 of 45,723
I like to add also, the socket unlike most units, it's not soldered direct to the mainboard, but held in place by the whole aluminum body.
To add to that: Designs where the socket pins are soldered to the MB(Mother Board), the pressure of the socket putting pressure on the pins, can result in breaking the solder joint, due to the pressure of many, many inserts of the jack into the socket. With the Sony layout, the socket is mounted to the case, and there are wires from the socket pins to the MB. This means that there is no pressure applied to the solder joint, as there is no mechanical linkage from the socket to the MB. The socket itself has some play in it's holder, which is what you are seeing. So nothing to worry about. The play is not an indication of bad construction. The amount of thought that Sony put into the configuration/mechanicals, gives an idea of how the designer(s) accounted for very small details.

Jan 18, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #18,025 of 45,723
So, new owner here, quick question: If I have a HD600 with balanced cables terminated in a 4 pin XLR (Neutrik), would and adapter like this be enough to enjoy the 4.4mm balanced output available in my WM1A? OR I absolutely need to buy a 4.4mm balanced cable for them? Whatever might be the case, could you wonderful people recommend good adapters (or, if necessary, cables) for the HD600?
Looks like that would do the trick!

Jan 18, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #18,026 of 45,723

9947503.jpg
The rings I do t know, but the jacks are connected to PCB via cables so they wiggle a bit

Jan 18, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #18,027 of 45,723
Yes that’s true Ak Daps have 7hrs battery life the 1st 3 generations as it uses more battery power as you don’t need to use EQ in flac format & Ak Daps Sound more energetic. Using direct source on Sony battery life is longer. If you use EQ it doesn’t last as long as I charge it to 90% uses more battery power.

All of my stuff is FLAC, and I never EQ it. The Audioquest Nighthawks are beautiful with it out of the balanced just as it is...without any sound enhancements. Some of my headphones sound great with the Sony, some of them not so much. Having said that, the Nighthawk combination is to die for. I had an AK240SS and thought it sounded so thinly analytical and weak in terms of the amp, that I sent it back. It always amazes me how different all of our ears hear. I suppose that is why there are so many digital audio player options. The Sony is my absolute favorite player at the moment. I want to save for the 1Z.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #18,028 of 45,723
All of my stuff is FLAC, and I never EQ it. The Audioquest Nighthawks are beautiful with it out of the balanced just as it is...without any sound enhancements. Some of my headphones sound great with the Sony, some of them not so much. Having said that, the Nighthawk combination is to die for. I had an AK240SS and thought it sounded so thinly analytical and weak in terms of the amp, that I sent it back. It always amazes me how different all of our ears hear. I suppose that is why there are so many digital audio player options. The Sony is my absolute favorite player at the moment. I want to save for the 1Z.
If you ever want to try a closed I loved the Audioquest Nightowl, it was a really nice signature after getting used to the tuning.

Jan 18, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #18,029 of 45,723
If you ever want to try a closed I loved the Audioquest Nightowl, it was a really nice signature after getting used to the tuning.

I do plan to try it and have been looking on the for sale forums

Jan 18, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #18,030 of 45,723
I do plan to try it and have been looking on the for sale forums
I'll let you know. Mine that I sold to a friend might become available. If it does it is absolutely mint, very low hours. I'll PM you if he moves them which I suspect he will as he is selling his large collection and going down to only a few headphones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back