SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
  1. gerelmx1986
    I still struggle to find a correct timing for a Screenshot on the wm1a, if Sony had implemented a power-off /Screenshot menu like Android

2. gerelmx1986
    I have noted that sound changes when switching source direct on and off, even with all DSP set to off there is a warmer signature than on direct on

3. kms108
    Even if direct is off, the signal is still passing through the circuit, with direct on, you are sure every thing is totally off.

4. gerelmx1986
    Good news, got contacted by qobuz, after I wrote an email to them. They will begin offering DSD downloads in summer 2018

"Hello,

Thank you for your message.

We have decided to upload DSD files.
    This will happen by the summer of 2018.
    We are reluctant to give you a date, but, know it, this point is at the forefront of future improvements.

Thank you for your suggestion,
    Best regards.

QOBUZ
    Customer Service"

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    kms108 likes this.
  5. hamhamhamsta
    Can you comment on sound changes eg treble, mids, bass, clarity, resolution, dynamics etc?

6. Fixxer6671
    This is the next logical step. If the DAP can be modded with Kimber cables, and shielding then you are getting closer to the 1Z. If the cost of a few hundred dollars it a tough one but at some point you are better off just going all in with the 1Z.

For me I’d have to hear significant improvement, but even then I think I’d rather buy music the. Keep dumping money into a DAP.

NoMythsAudio likes this.
  7. ledzep
    Better off investing in a good pair of headphones that match well with the player than pumping more money into an already great player just to get a placebo effect.

Intensecure and NoMythsAudio like this.
  8. gerelmx1986
    Why is a lossy process converting DSD to PCM?

9. gerelmx1986
    screenshot_20180102_212606434.png
    Vol. 90-100/120 with DSD, no problem with my MDR-Z7

10. blazinblazin
    Looks like Spotify got hit by Copyright lawsuits.

Guess SONY somehow made a right choice afterall.

11. gerelmx1986
    Stand-alone Offline Lossless Music Library FTW!! :D

12. Quadfather

I would like to buy this...

3_39.jpg

13. Fixxer6671
    That's pretty portable! :)

14. Quadfather
    Since my HD650 are hard to drive, I will make them part of my amped home setup. My Lotoo Paw Gold Diana drives them, but I believe they will give me more with a nice tube amp.

15. Quadfather
    My 4.4mm balanced cable is out for repair. Unfortunately I don't get the magical combination of Shure SRH1540 headphones with the Sony NW-WM1A. I love my paw gold, but the 1540s just aren't as magical on it so I'll switch over to my Nighthawks.