SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 30, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #17,716 of 45,723
After 10 hours in on my 1Z listening with Z5's on balanced high gain, having tried all firmwares, I have to say I am deeply impressed with it.

Coming from my Z1060 which I used since 2012 it must have left an imprint in my brain.

Using the 1Z on FW 2.0 making use of the phase linearizer on Standard B and no EQ, it is like a much improved Z1060 to me. Much more detail, 3d like positioning of instruments and higher quality bass though a bit less in quantity.

With the phase linearizer on it provides me with the analog type of sound I enjoyed from my previous DAP and also provides a bit more bass.

As both my Z5 and 1Z are new I believe I can expect changes in sound with burn in? What will happen in the bass department over time?

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #17,718 of 45,723
After 10 hours in on my 1Z listening with Z5's on balanced high gain, having tried all firmwares, I have to say I am deeply impressed with it.

Coming from my Z1060 which I used since 2012 it must have left an imprint in my brain.

Using the 1Z on FW 2.0 making use of the phase linearizer on Standard B and no EQ, it is like a much improved Z1060 to me. Much more detail, 3d like positioning of instruments and higher quality bass though a bit less in quantity.

With the phase linearizer on it gives me the analog type of sound I enjoyed from my previous DAP and also provides a bit more bass.

As both my Z5 and 1Z are new I believe I can expect changes in sound with burn in? What will happen in the bass department over time?

Its been a long time since I started listening with this combination, and so my memory is somewhat veiled. However, for me, I think I am prepared to say that the listening experience in general has become more refined in terms of bass, detail, clarity and separation as time has gone on. Its a great combination. I've changed to the JVC Spiral Dots tips (large), as I find they sit better in my ears than the stock tips. I also use the Kimber balanced cable as I find the stock X5 cable too long and weeney. I would not now part with this setup for anything else portable-wise. I have attained portable sonic enlightenment :relieved: (for now!).

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #17,719 of 45,723
I now use the software from sonore to extract DSF from SACD iso and the teac software for converting DFF to DSF, will get very busy now downloading iso and DSF files that i ignored before as I didnt know how to deal with it.

Thanks to all especially @gerelmx1986 and @superuser1 for the information and help.

Dec 30, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #17,720 of 45,723
Its been a long time since I started listening with this combination, and so my memory is somewhat veiled. However, for me, I think I am prepared to say that the listening experience in general has become more refined in terms of bass, detail, clarity and separation as time has gone on. Its a great combination. I've changed to the JVC Spiral Dots tips (large), as I find they sit better in my ears than the stock tips. I also use the Kimber balanced cable as I find the stock X5 cable too long and weeney. I would not now part with this setup for anything else portable-wise. I have attained portable sonic enlightenment :relieved: (for now!).

Thanks. I did notice that eartip fit is crucial in the experience of the Z5's. None of the Sony supplied tips worked for me but luckily I have a supply of tips from my ATH cks 77 that are a good fit. Will definitely also try those spiral dot tips. Thanks for the tip!

Dec 30, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #17,721 of 45,723
I now use the software from sonore to extract DSF from SACD iso and the teac software for converting DFF to DSF, will get very busy now downloading iso and DSF files that i ignored before as I didnt know how to deal with it.

Thanks to all especially @gerelmx1986 and @superuser1 for the information and help.
I am looking for this in DSD iso but I haven't found it yet, I had it converted to FLAC with disastrous results, now the iso is no where to be found

http://www.glossamusic.com/glossa/reference.aspx?id=256

Dec 30, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #17,724 of 45,723
Thanks. I did notice that eartip fit is crucial in the experience of the Z5's. None of the Sony supplied tips worked for me but luckily I have a supply of tips from my ATH cks 77 that are a good fit. Will definitely also try those spiral dot tips. Thanks for the tip!

Spinfit twin blades work a treat and I've tried a lot of tips .... A lot !

Dec 30, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #17,726 of 45,723
There are a few drives that also do this, including the first generation PS3.

Dec 30, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #17,727 of 45,723
Ah I see. A friend recently showed me how to download DFF and DSF files but not ISOs. I'd love to rip my Classical SACDs but the method I saw on Computer Audiophile involving Oppo and Pioneer disc players sounds very technical.

It’s not so complicated, you need an oppo 103 or 203 or, cheaper, a pioneer 160 and change some parameters in the setting

The most delicate part is the usb drive and the files you need to copy into.
The disc player needs to be connected to a router.
I took me few trials to make it work, but once it worked I was able to download a sacd in less than 15 minutes.

Dec 30, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #17,728 of 45,723
It’s not so complicated, you need an oppo 103 or 203 or, cheaper, a pioneer 160 and change some parameters in the setting

The most delicate part is the usb drive and the files you need to copy into.
The disc player needs to be connected to a router.
I took me few trials to make it work, but once it worked I was able to download a sacd in less than 15 minutes.

I'll have to get my friend to help me. As I've got a lot of SACDs to rip, it'll save a lot of money buying an Oppo/Pioneer player given the inexplicably high price of DSD downloads.

Dec 30, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #17,729 of 45,723
Time for an adventure!

1230171738d.jpg

Dec 30, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #17,730 of 45,723
I'll have to get my friend to help me. As I've got a lot of SACDs to rip, it'll save a lot of money buying an Oppo/Pioneer player given the inexplicably high price of DSD downloads.

The cheapest option is the pioneer, not easy to find them. I got 2 from buyee. I used it only to import sacds.

The oppo is a good investment is you are considering to use it as cd and DVD player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back