SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 23, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #17,567 of 45,723
Don't give up just yet. I tried GIMP (for Windows) and finally got it to work (after not working initially). If you haven't tried this, here were the steps that worked for me.

1) From GIMP main menu, select File, then Open
2) Find the .JPG artwork and Open
3) From GIMIP main menu, select File, then Export As
4) Select the .JPG artwork file (same as in Step 2), and click Export
5) Click Replace in the dialog box
6) Click the "Advanced Options" drop down box
7) Uncheck "Progressive" box
8) Click "Export"

That's it!

Before I tried the above, I was trying to "Save As" and that didn't work.

Very solid contribution to thread :)

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Dec 24, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #17,569 of 45,723
How do you get them in the US? Sony US does not carry them.
They are sold a replacement parts, you can get them from you local Sony repair centre, not Sony store, if they don't have them in stock, they should be able to order them.

The parts code is used international, but it's up to Sony if they will get them for you.

Dec 24, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #17,570 of 45,723
Glad the cables worked out in the end. Sorry about the troubles initially.

I didn't know you could buy the caps from Sony!? What do you mean directly? Sony Ginza? I asked Sony at one of the e-earphone shows and the staff at the exhibit told me to call Sony support. Good to see I'm learning from folks overseas about Japan even though I'm here :wink:.
They are sold as spare parts, so you have to go to the Sony repair centre in Akihabara, and it should take about 2-3 day to arrive for you to collect.

It only popped up when I got pissed after lossing the 4.4 cap, I think it was at e earphones, and I remembered that in the HK I always order spare parts this way if it's not a off the shelves product.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017 at 5:44 AM Post #17,571 of 45,723
Just received my 1Z from Amazon. Impressive device!

Bit strange had to plug the cable first as the battery was flat when I tried to boot it. Thought they all came with a good precharge..

I would say the player is new though, manufacturer sealed packaging and wrapped in protective plastic. Firmware 1.20 was already on it so can't be much older then April this year I guess?

Anybody else had to charge before first use and what charging time with a standard USB charger can I expect to full?

Eager to start using this Damn.. my Z5 will take another week to arrive..

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017 at 6:30 AM Post #17,572 of 45,723

Bit strange had to plug the cable first as the battery was flat when I tried to boot it. Thought they all came with a good precharge..

I would say the player is new though, manufacturer sealed packaging and wrapped in protective plastic. Firmware 1.20 was already on it so can't be much older then April this year I guess?

Anybody else had to charge before first use and what charging time with a standard USB charger can I expect to full?

Congrats, your Z5 will be a great pair for sure. I am using xba-a3 with cheap balance cable from amazon connected my wm1a listening to Eagles Greatest Hits. I am like listening to my two channel setup. Just wow.

Dec 24, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #17,573 of 45,723

From my understanding, sony DAP are not sealed, they are only wrapped with a plastic clear wrapper with one piece of cellotape on the plastic wrapper which is reusable and resealable, no manufacture has their players with a dead battery out of the box. are you sure it's new and not a returned item.

Dec 24, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #17,575 of 45,723
From my understanding, sony DAP are not sealed, they are only wrapped with a plastic clear wrapper with one piece of cellotape on the plastic wrapper which is reusable and resealable, no manufacture has their players with a dead battery out of the box. are you sure it's new and not a returned item.

My bad but that's what I meant to say: I got it with the small clear seal on the packaging intact and the DAP in the clear wrapper as you described, not re-used I would say though..

I have little doubt it is a new player but found it strange it had lost it's charge.

Got it charged now and this took a few hours. Not 7 hours though as I read in the WM1 manual I downloaded a full charge would take?

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #17,576 of 45,723
I have the ZX2 and ZX300, still considering the WM1A, they all had the same wrapping, so I would say the WM1A should be the same. I think sony's charging times goes by the standard USB 500mAh which is the basic figure, but should support anything upto 800mAh or 1000mAh, that's probably why it's much faster, my ZX2 also charge very slow, but my ZX300 charges much faster than stated figures. So it seems normal, I think someone also stated this in this forum.

Dec 24, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #17,577 of 45,723
My bad but that's what I meant to say: I got it with the small clear seal on the packaging intact and the DAP in the clear wrapper as you described, not re-used I would say though..

I have little doubt it is a new player but found it strange it had lost it's charge.

Got it charged now and this took a few hours. Not 7 hours though as I read in the WM1 manual I downloaded a full charge would take?

chec into settings/info how many hours of use it shows

if it's new it should be like less than 1-2

if you see like 50 hours , it may be refurbished/returned

Dec 24, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #17,578 of 45,723
On the Z7 / Z1R cup inputs what actually makes contact the tip and ring + & - and blank sleeve or tip and sleeve etc need to make a cable for someone and using TRS jack's not mono ones so just need the solder points for the jacks, I know it's tip ring (99%) but just a double check.

Anyone ??

Dec 24, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #17,579 of 45,723
I own a WM1Z and a Hugo 2, for a while also a Mojo that I sold at the beginning of the year.

The Hugo 2 outperform the WM1Z but on the other side it's quite big to travel with, I use it as my desk dac connected to my MacBook Pro, while for traveling without any doubt I prefer the WM1Z, it has more storage than any smartphone and the battery can last for over 20 hours, you'll never get the same performance using a smartphone and a mojo/Hugo.
For me hugo 2 plays louder, much louder and you should A B them with marched volume. Sony is better only losing to hugo 2 when connected to speakers. Of course Chord fan boys will start to cry... but it’s MHO, and several people feels the same.

Dec 24, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #17,580 of 45,723
C14C5DA0-2C9D-42FA-870C-EE27A1D68176.jpeg

You’ll love the Z5s with it. Mine came with zero charge. It charges from zero to full in about 3.5 hours I estimate as I have only charged it that first time from zero. The date of manufacture will be will be listed as month and year on the sticker on the side lower corner, also listing where it was made.

Photo of sticker provided by https://www.head-fi.org/members/whitigir.378966/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back