SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 17, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #15,151 of 45,723
well the balanced 4.4 is great indeed , never going back to SE again

also i love my WM1A , glad to see SONY back at the top of the dap game
Proedros,

Which cable do you like better for 4.4. The Twag/Twau hybrid or PW No 5?

The sad thing at your level now is, if you want better sound, you'll need to get better cables. Unless you're getting 1Z for Christmas :k701smile:

Oct 17, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #15,152 of 45,723
I would like to see a quick switch to the gain outputs especially when I am at shows constantly switching for different IEM/ headphones.

Even better quick switches which are customizable so the one you want just hold down for a few seconds to give option to add shortcut as a quick switch.

I know I am only dreaming now and don't want to give the JP design team a headache!

Oct 17, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #15,153 of 45,723
Well I have my wm1z so that will do for now. :) got it for about 1500euro so in the end it was an easy choice between it and the wm1a. And I'm now used to the weight I'm carrying around :)

You didn't get it during that Amazon Prime day by any chance as I heard from my friend the Gold one had gone for around that price on the day which was a mad price considering.
Even madder now Amazon have hiked the price up quite a bit to the normal price been nearer the Sony RRP.
I could certainly get used to the weight if it came up at that price again! :ksc75smile:

Personally from what I heard between the 1Z and my 1A is the Gold one is a superior sound in terms of clarity and control and more resolution but could never justify the normal price difference for the extra perfomance much as a old school ES fan I am with that gold finish is sublime and back to their old best with that eye for design detail on both the ergonomics and UI implementation side of it all.

But if it ever did come around at the £1500 mark again I would certainly think about it weight of a Gold bar or not regardless at that price.

Oct 18, 2017 at 4:51 AM Post #15,154 of 45,723
Tried a few over the last 6 months, 64audio campfire audio Sony Z5, A3 and ex1000 plus a few more. For me EX1000 if you don't mind a bit of leakage but for total isolation and these get my gold seal of approval... Etymotic XR's with a pair of snugs on balanced are superb and my only pair of iems now they have the right amount of everything and the drivers are matched to perfection.

Hi, ledzep

Would like to ask for your advice. Already using Z5, but thinking about EX1000. How much different they are? Which better?

Oct 18, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #15,155 of 45,723
Hi, ledzep

Would like to ask for your advice. Already using Z5, but thinking about EX1000. How much different they are? Which better?
Both good in their own way and each to his own as we all here different things, but for me to sum it up and not give a 20 page answer I'd say the Z5 have a punchy bass with a warm sound but not congested and the 1000's are more open sounding probably because they leak a bit but have a nice airy sound with a nice bass punch when needed. I think the overall concession on here is the Z5 are the better iems overall but the 1000's won't disappoint you at all and for the price you can get a pair for these days I'd have both especially if your music collection is a varied one and that's based in them both on balanced.

Oct 18, 2017 at 5:34 AM Post #15,156 of 45,723
Both good in their own way and each to his own as we all here different things, but for me to sum it up and not give a 20 page answer I'd say the Z5 have a punchy bass with a warm sound but not congested and the 1000's are more open sounding probably because they leak a bit but have a nice airy sound with a nice bass punch when needed. I think the overall concession on here is the Z5 are the better iems overall but the 1000's won't disappoint you at all and for the price you can get a pair for these days I'd have both especially if your music collection is a varied one and that's based in them both on balanced.

I would like to disagree. Z5 are a good iems, but not even close to EX1000 when You're looking for a reference, open sound with the best bass I have heard (and subbass rumble) in iems. Listening to EX1000 balanced with WM1A right now and am astounded. I didn't believe these could sound better, but properly burned in balance output is a killer. Just got couple of diy cables for testing.

So basically - Z5 are more bassy and more forgiving. EX1000 is a reference, sounds great only with good/really good recordings. The best dynamic iems for a reasonable price. That's what EX1000 are :)

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #15,157 of 45,723
I would like to disagree. Z5 are a good iems, but not even close to EX1000 when You're looking for a reference, open sounding sound with the best bass I have heard (and subbass rumble) in iems. Listening to EX1000 balanced with WM1A right now and am astounded. I didn't believe these could sound better, but properly burned in balance output is a killer. Just got couple of diy cables for testing.

So basically - Z5 are more bassy and more forgiving. EX1000 is a reference, sounds great only with good/really good recordings. The best dynamic iems for a reasonable price. That's what EX1000 are :)

Mmmm that's basically what I said and to add a bit more in the mix the Etymotic XR's blows the pair out of the water for pure reference iems but some people hate them. I've heard good things about the sound magic 10's and they are £30? So really everyone has their own opinion. Then there is tip rolling to add to it and different builds of cables and daps so it's a try if you can before buying if the money is tight but I still think owing both is a good option. The only reason I sold both pairs was the way they sit in my ears and stick out as at work I'm only supposed to have one in for health and safety reasons but we all know that is a complete waste of time and as I said before it's only my thoughts and the player is on direct no EQ whatsoever I like my sound as is.

Oct 18, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #15,161 of 45,723
You didn't get it during that Amazon Prime day by any chance as I heard from my friend the Gold one had gone for around that price on the day which was a mad price considering.
Even madder now Amazon have hiked the price up quite a bit to the normal price been nearer the Sony RRP.
I could certainly get used to the weight if it came up at that price again! :ksc75smile:

Personally from what I heard between the 1Z and my 1A is the Gold one is a superior sound in terms of clarity and control and more resolution but could never justify the normal price difference for the extra perfomance much as a old school ES fan I am with that gold finish is sublime and back to their old best with that eye for design detail on both the ergonomics and UI implementation side of it all.

But if it ever did come around at the £1500 mark again I would certainly think about it weight of a Gold bar or not regardless at that price.

Hi
Actually bought it on amazon auctions Japan. Unused .. :wink:
Then managed to get it to me without VAT and customs charges...

Oct 18, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #15,164 of 45,723
I have just take a look at Sony's support site and found out 1.20 firmware update was released on 22.03.2017. Seven months without an update? Is it standard for them? Hope next one gonna be huge!

Why make changes to perfection :wink:

No nothing is perfect but for me and my use I can’t imagine anything that would improve what I have now.

Oct 18, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #15,165 of 45,723
Why make changes to perfection :wink:

No nothing is perfect but for me and my use I can’t imagine anything that would improve what I have now.

Just to mention three changes I'm waiting for :

1. Imoroving scrolling albums/artist list when You have album arts (loading grsphics and stuttering while scrolling)

2. Search function

3. Making a quick access to shuffle button.

First one is a must, second and third one are just my wishes.

Also usb dac functionality would be nice :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back