SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 20, 2022 at 2:39 AM Post #4,396 of 15,089
Now compare and contrast to this developer interview from A&K where more than half the video is talking about the external design of the dap. The only technical discussion is about controlling heat, battery life and using a lower powered ESS dac and some discussion on channel separation.

The interview seem like been produced by themselves with poor lighting and poor script.

Cant they even dress up for the video? Its like watching horror movie.

Sony interview beat them hands down.

May 20, 2022 at 2:52 AM Post #4,397 of 15,089
Gents,
As a follow up to my battery question., and to be honest I've always been a bit sceptical about stated battery times, the manual says the playing time for MP3 (128kbps) using Balanced standard jack is approx 40 hrs. With the 1AM2 I am getting no more than maybe 12-14 hrs playing MP3 stuff (same with my 1AM1) before I'm looking to charge again. I'm currently using the battery saver function, so the capacity of the battery is limited to 88%. So, I'm wondering why is it so low as it would seem from this forum that the members are getting anything from 30 to even 40 hrs playing time. I've deactivated some of the Android apps (which wasn't a problem with the 1AM1, but still got similar playing times) as per the suggestion of some of the forum members.

However, in the manual under Battery life there is a note which reads: The battery life may become about 60% shorter when some of the sound adjustments are active.

Well, I've got them all fired up (yes, I am a heathen...). Never believing 40 hrs, but subtracting 60% would get it close to what I am experiencing.

Was just wondering who out there has some or all of the sound adjustments activated and if this does in fact affect the playback time.

Last edited:
May 20, 2022 at 2:53 AM Post #4,398 of 15,089
Gents,
As a follow up to my battery question., and to be honest I've always been a bit sceptical about stated battery times, the manual says the playing time for MP3 (128kbps) using Balanced standard jack is approx 40 hrs. With the 1AM2 I am getting no more than maybe 12 hrs playing MP3 stuff (same with my 1AM1) before I'm looking to charge again. I'm currently using the battery saver function, so the capacity of the battery is limited to 88%. So, I'm wondering why is it so low as it would seem from this forum that the members are getting anything from m30 to even 40 hrs playing time. I've deactivated some of the Android apps (which wasn't a problem with the 1AM1, but still got similar playing times) as per the suggestion of some of the forum members.

However, in the manual under Battery life there is a note which reads: The battery life may become about 60% shorter when some of the sound adjustments are active.

Well, I've got them all fired up (yes, I am a heathen...). Never believing 40 hrs, but subtracting 60% would get it close to what I am experiencing.

Was just wondering who out there has some or all of the sound adjustments activated and if this does in fact affect the playback time.
Yes, any of the DSP settings kill battery life. Max battery is only possible with screen off and Direct Sound.

May 20, 2022 at 3:17 AM Post #4,400 of 15,089
Sony ideal 40hour battery claims is based off direct source on using only songs on the internal memory and no microSD cards connected. They don’t change tracks and just play the songs on the loop, and keep the screen completely turned off for the entire 40hours. They will stop the stop watch only when the music completely stops playing as in the Walkman completely runs out of battery and shuts down.

Your mileage will vary as you will likely be changing tracks more often and using the screen for searching albums etc and using an additional power consuming microSD card. I think you can get about 30-35hours without use of DSP for purely offline music playback before you plug in the charger. Recommend to plug in the charger when it reaches 20%. Don’t let the Walkman completely drain to near 0% all the time as it is bad for the battery longevity.

Last edited:
May 20, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #4,401 of 15,089
Its like watching horror movie.
:sweat_smile: - this is an art as well.

are you ok?

"yes, i just wanted to watch a dap review... in a language that i do not understand. what i got at the end: being emotionally disturbed."

Last edited:
May 20, 2022 at 3:33 AM Post #4,402 of 15,089
Sony ideal 40hour battery claims is based off direct source on using only songs on the internal memory and no microSD cards connected. They don’t change tracks and just play the songs on the loop, and keep the screen completely turned off for the entire 40hours. They will stop the stop watch only when the music completely stops playing as in the Walkman completely runs out of battery and shuts down.

Your mileage will vary as you will likely be changing tracks more often and using the screen for searching albums etc and using an additional power consuming microSD card. I think you can get about 30-35hours without use of DSP for purely offline music playback before you plug in the charger. Recommend to plug in the charger when it reaches 20%. Don’t let the Walkman completely drain to near 0% all the time as it is bad for the battery longevity.
Thanks for the information. Yep, I'm the worst you can get; microSD card reading and everything switched on but I don't change tracks very much, just let the device get on with it.
Thanks again.

May 20, 2022 at 3:35 AM Post #4,403 of 15,089
Thanks for the information. Yep, I'm the worst you can get; microSD card reading and everything switched on but I don't change tracks very much, just let the device get on with it.
Thanks again.
sometimes i am worse: screen on all the time, listening via uapp / tidal / qobuz while also searching other tracks and get inspired. you can literally see how the % is falling.

May 20, 2022 at 4:41 AM Post #4,405 of 15,089
sometimes i am worse: screen on all the time, listening via uapp / tidal / qobuz while also searching other tracks and get inspired. you can literally see how the % is falling.

Same here. I’m finding the battery on the 1am2 pretty awful. I’m mostly using Tidal offline mode and sticking it in aeroplane mode. It probably helps a bit but still rinses the battery no end!

Shanling M9 has much better battery life but I guess there is a much bigger battery in there!

Last edited:
May 20, 2022 at 4:42 AM Post #4,406 of 15,089
all this debloating/volume limit talk , reminded me why i was so glad to go from zx2 to wm1a (and stay there until it's dead)

no BS , just great sound (that can be changed chameleon-wise with @MrWalkman 's lovely CFW)

May 20, 2022 at 4:46 AM Post #4,407 of 15,089
Whats the output impedance on the WM1Am2/WM1Zm2? Can't seem to find that bit of info anywhere

May 20, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #4,410 of 15,089

Users who are viewing this thread

Back