SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 14, 2022 at 4:53 AM Post #4,231 of 15,518
Then they wouldn't have been able to provide streaming support. It's as simple as that. Minor sound improvement aside, that's the main selling point here. Without it, you don't need to upgrade. Don't need streaming? You don't need to upgrade.
compared with what? I upgraded from 1A (M1) and although I still like my original with Mr. Walkman's firmware, this (at least to me) is noticably differently and in my case, more favorable.

May 14, 2022 at 5:04 AM Post #4,232 of 15,518
Then this Android Bloatware Walkman isn't for you. Time to move on to other solutions or products.

ZX507 will be my last Sony player, I like having some control with something I buy as with previous models, being locked into one region and not being able to disable the Euro cap are big turn offs, it's all too corporate for me.

May 14, 2022 at 5:39 AM Post #4,234 of 15,518
I doubt that. I think that's still a bubble.

Sony sold at least 20'000 1st Gen WM1Z and significantly more WM1A

Not even 1% of the people who own one are here, if at all
Interested. Where did you find sales figures for M1s?

May 14, 2022 at 6:04 AM Post #4,235 of 15,518
I felt that the android audio path on the WM1AM2 is even much more improved than the one found on the ZX507. Listening to music content on YouTube feels a whole lot more high quality, it’s like YouTube has cd audio quality playback soundstaging, dynamics and smoothness instead of sounding like dull low bit rate lossy compression.
Yes

May 14, 2022 at 6:39 AM Post #4,237 of 15,518
Spent some time with MDR-Z1R and the 1ZM2, and I can say this was the first time I experienced the larger Z1Rs being adequately driven by a Sony portable DAP, both in terms of power and tonality.

High gain - 100 hit the spot. The MDR-Z1Rs on the original 1Z always felt a little compressed and sibilant due to the infamous peak in the highs. Between the IER-Z1R and the MDR-Z1R, i'd be using the IEM variant 95% of the time.

Happy to say on the 1ZM2 this peak has been smoothed out. I can finally see myself getting much more use out of the headphone version. Glad I held on to them.

Similar to @twister6's experience. The sound clears up significantly after you get into the double digits of hours played. Bass becomes tighter and more dynamic, yet retaining an appealing decay.

May 14, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #4,238 of 15,518
Spent some time with MDR-Z1R and the 1ZM2, and I can say this was the first time I experienced the larger Z1Rs being adequately driven by a Sony portable DAP, both in terms of power and tonality.

High gain - 100 hit the spot. The MDR-Z1Rs on the original 1Z always felt a little compressed and sibilant due to the infamous peak in the highs. Between the IER-Z1R and the MDR-Z1R, i'd be using the IEM variant 95% of the time.

Happy to say on the 1ZM2 this peak has been smoothed out. I can finally see myself getting much more use out of the headphone version. Glad I held on to them.

Similar to @twister6's experience. The sound clears up significantly after you get into the double digits of hours played. Bass becomes tighter and more dynamic, yet retaining an appealing decay.
I think I never been above 105/120 on Low Gain and only for a very short time. Wow! Generally I listen between 60-80/120 on Low

I just tried 100/120 on high but it was extremely loud, I could bear it for like a half song and my ears were ringing afterwards.

Is it even possible to enjoy music at that volume? I were no longer able the pickup any small nuances or things that were in the background.

Please keep your ears in mind
ent-aud-onex-may20-2.jpg

May 14, 2022 at 7:03 AM Post #4,239 of 15,518
Definitely, I should some measurements to be sure about listening levels. Typically with the original WM1s I've been listening at 100-110 on low for the IER-Z1R as my preferred levels. The way bass hits at high volumes is so satisfying, but likely unhealthy.

May 14, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #4,240 of 15,518
Has anyone successfully set up USB DAC on PC?

I have clicked it when asked and my PC detected it as “Speakers (Walkman)”.
But I cannot hear any sound.

What have I done wrong?

May 14, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #4,241 of 15,518
Has anyone successfully set up USB DAC on PC?

I have clicked it when asked and my PC detected it as “Speakers (Walkman)”.
But I cannot hear any sound.

What have I done wrong?
You need to go to your Walkman music app and enable usb dac mode and as well as android setting for usb dac mode(not charging and not file transfer mode)

May 14, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #4,242 of 15,518
You need to go to your Walkman music app and enable usb dac mode and as well as android setting for usb dac mode(not charging and not file transfer mode)
Legend! Thank you!!

May 14, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #4,243 of 15,518
@Sonywalkmanuser During USB DAC mode, is it possible to disable the battery recharging (eg power will be from PC’s usb instead of battery)?
Hence, extending battery life?

May 14, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #4,245 of 15,518
@Sonywalkmanuser During USB DAC mode, is it possible to disable the battery recharging (eg power will be from PC’s usb instead of battery)?
Hence, extending battery life?
Unfortunately there’s no settings for that.

Just enable battery care mode which limits the max charging percentage to 88%. The Walkman will maintain a constant 88% percent maximum charging during dac mode.

That should prevent the Walkman from charging to 100% which makes for more wear and tear on the battery cells.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back