Sony NW-HD5
Mar 8, 2007 at 5:48 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuerst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The buttons cracks too. The only thing that kept me away from getting one couple years ago.

Only the first versions did that.
Newer released ones had the problem fixed.

Mar 8, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuerst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If there are a large number of reports of certain defects (and by all means there were a huge number of defect reports), I don't want to touch that product. Simple really.

By huge numbers do you mean about four? Do you have links to these huge numbers? I did all kinds of research before I bought mine and the mentions I saw mostly referred to the same guy. I saw maybe four unique cases. Besides, it was cosmetic anyway. It did not affect the functionality. It was no worse than the nano scratching issue.

Mar 8, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, I'm another HD5 fan and concur with those above.

OP may have not questioned, but I'll add a comment on quality. The player is well built (barring the cracking buttons on the first gen model). It has outlasted two iPods, one nano, and a Rio Karma in my DAP inventory.

Quality wise, I cannot recommend a player more.

And it bears repeating, it has fantastic sounding clean punchy presentation. Sounds great with Senn's imo.

Never heard the HD5, but I have its modern replacement - the A1200. Not sure how SQ compares with the older (often better) model, but the A1200 compares well with my HiMD RH10, is 8GB, and retails for about $200. SonicStage 4x is an improvement (but still v. cludgey if you use MP3). I picked one up (as well as an NW-E507 which qualifies as another brilliant Sony gadget) as contingencies for the inevitable MD sunsetting...

Mar 9, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #19 of 20
I for one agrees with the guys here! The hd5 has great sound properties, Mp3 at 320kb/s is as good at Atrac 3 plus at 256kb. I use the sonic stage software through applocale which can be downloaded of microsoft.com. This program resolves all character issues as I have Tradition/Simplified Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Thai tunes. Even though I can't read any of the language mentioned.

After using the HD5 for 1.5 years the battery is still going strong, I admit it doesn't play as long as it used to however It still out runs my 2nd gen nano and most certain my 1st gen 2gb black nano. I highly recommend the HD5's Sound Presets especially the ''Dgtl. Snd. Presets'' with bass and treble mushed all the way to the top. I use a pair of Ultimate ear triple Fi 10 and it sounds terrific, much clearer though, theres a few tracks i'd use a mind blowing bassed Sennheiser Cx300
biggrin.gif
. Though I rather use the UE.
I forgot to mention I bought 2 more batteries just incase my battery suffered from over charging, however I think it'll take another year till the battery will have it's time.

Also I can safely say that this Sony is probably one of a handful of players that has 30gb and it's the fully black version only because I went out of my way and sourced a 1.8" toshiba hdd, though I was so tempted to buy a 40gb luckily I didn't as it was 2.5mm thicker and wouldnt of fitted into the aluminium magnesium housing.

So many Mp3 players would want the stamina of the Hd5, Removeable Hi-ish capacity battery, Self Righting Screen (viewing angle), G-protection and most importantly the output sound it generates. And after all that, it's packaged into a neat credit card sized dimention.

Dr.

Mar 9, 2007 at 4:28 AM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaceage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By huge numbers do you mean about four? Do you have links to these huge numbers? I did all kinds of research before I bought mine and the mentions I saw mostly referred to the same guy. I saw maybe four unique cases. Besides, it was cosmetic anyway. It did not affect the functionality. It was no worse than the nano scratching issue.

I mean about 20+ independent reports in a span of 2 weeks or less. I'm not going to search for some links to justify my own decision. Cosmetics plays a pretty big part into my decisions and I have annoyingly discerning eyes. I have sold several items in the past where I would rate them 9/10 or 8/10 only to have the buyer say that they can't tell it from a new one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back