Sony NW-F807 Observations
Jul 8, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #32 of 53
I see what you mean. My plan is to get away from ATRAC, gradually, and stick to FLAC as my preferred codec. It's just that I have so much in the ATRAC3Plus format, mainly lossless, and it'll take me quite a while to do it all in one hit since I can't do massive batches in SonicStage like dbpoweramp does.

It would've been nice if dbpoweramp could handle ATRAC so I could leave my computer to convert everything overnight but can't have it all now, can we? :)

Again, many thanks sir!

Jul 11, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #33 of 53
For those of you with the Line Out Dock cable for these things, has anyone noticed that the output is about 6dB low on both channels? I'm guessing that the audio is being taken from a balanced output but we're only using the hot phase given it's going to an unbalanced plug.

It's not a showstopper for me as I have plenty of amplification available to use in the car but I was curious about this when measuring the output.

Aug 2, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #34 of 53
Cable problem solved. Thankfully the WMC-NWV10 cable continues to be readily available in Japan so I bought four of the bastards because one can never have too many spares.

So now I have my line out AND the ability to keep it charged in the car simultaneously. Nice!

Aug 6, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #35 of 53
I am looking at purchasing a Sony NW-F807 (64gb) and wondered if the music analysis has become more stable with firmware updates and also what is the latest update for this player?

I love Sony's sound (I own an NWZ-E345 as well as an MD player and a sony Mp3CD player and love them all).I am planning on purchasing the player in the new few weeks from one of the Japanese vendors on Amazon (most likely J-Made or Japan Select as they have the 64gb model in blue which is exactly what i want. though before I do I wanted to get a better idea first of what to expect as I have never ordered a player from Japan nor had any firmware issues with my sony players in the past.

I plan on using the player for music only (maybe an occasional film here and there though 99.9% of the time,just for music) .and most of my personal library is either FLAC or 320cbr and some VBR (V0) mp3 files.I read in an amazon customer review that the player couldn't play variable bitrate mp3s but that made no sense to me because I have never heard of an mp3 player that can only play CBR files.I'm certain the reviewer was mistaken,but if you could just confirm for me it does play variable bitrate files I would be happy to know.

I am pretty certain this is the player I am going to purchase even if the software is still buggy,because everything else about it seems amazing,and for me it is all about the sound quality.also I wanted to ask (apart from if the music analyzer had been stabilized and if it can play variable bitrate mp3s) does it have the option to design your own custom EQ settings? i.e. my NWZ-E345 has some preset sounds but also includes two custom EQ settings that allow me to adjust the bass between 0 and +3 and well as a five band equalizer (6 if you count the bass setting). Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.Thanks. - Matt

Aug 7, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #36 of 53
Matt, the US version of the Sony Media Go works for it so software is not an issue (FLAC rip and sync, along with drag and drop).  That VBR comment from Amazon is BS anyway, but of course the best strength of the F807 is FLAC.

Aug 9, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #38 of 53
Quote:
Thanks that's great to hear.can you tell me if it also features customizable equalizer settings?

I think so, but I will have to double check.  If not, just use winamp or something.

Aug 16, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #39 of 53
There are three user EQ settings. Oddly enough, they're called User-defined 1, 2 and "Custom". Not sure why it wasn't just named User-defined 3 but there you have it. Three presets containing 5-band EQ settings (400, 1k, 2.5k, 6k and 16k) and a separate bass enhancement adjustment called "Clear Bass" can be found. As already stated though, you're not limited to just the stock EQ and if you do end up using a third-party app like Winamp or Neutron, you've got the EQ in those apps to take advantage of anyway.

I'm a bit of a purist with my digital audio so I can't comment on the VBR thing since I use either FLAC on everything I encode now, or ATRAC3Plus if it came from my older Sonicstage library.

Believe me, I'm sure your ears will be more than satisfied with this unit and the stability has been rock solid for me. It has served its purpose very well as my in-car media player and I couldn't be happier.

Aug 16, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #40 of 53
Thanks Artstar.that is great news,as it is the same EQ settings I have on my Sony NWZ-E345 16gb model,except the NWZ-E345 has just two custom settings,along with five preset settings that can not be altered, though unlike the NW-F806/7 series there is no way to add any third party applications.

I ordered my NW-F807 yesterday morning adding expedited shipping, I hope to have it in the next ten days.I am definitely looking forward to having 64gb of space for my FLAC library.I don't have a whole lot in VBR as I prefer FLAC or 320kbps for mp3 but was just curious for the albums I do have encoded in V0. DrSheep said that it does in fact play variable bitrate files,though even if it hadn't I would have still ordered it as I love Sony and this player has everything I want (and more).

I can play WAV files on my current player,but there is no way of tagging them , so they always end up being filed under unknown artist and at 16gb (actually 14.7 usable) the player would fill up fast,so I encode my albums at 320cbr and even then it still fills up pretty fast.Thanks again for your answers,I am really anxious to get this new player,just trying not to think about it too much so the next 4-10 days (the estimated shipping time) will go by quicker (perceivably at least)
smile.gif

Aug 16, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #41 of 53
Yeah I have no problem with my F807 for 320 M4A AACs in VBR either CD ripped or from iTunes.

p.s. the bundled EX300 has a silicone dust plug for the WM-PORT, I know most of us here won't use it, and no one mentioned it here so far...

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #43 of 53
Quote:
I've detached the dust cap and hooked it up to my Shure SCL-4 headphones since I much rather those over the EX300.

Yes, I was just saying that it is very easy to forget about the dust cap being there.

Aug 25, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #45 of 53
Quote:
There are three user EQ settings. Oddly enough, they're called User-defined 1, 2 and "Custom". Not sure why it wasn't just named User-defined 3 but there you have it. Three presets containing 5-band EQ settings (400, 1k, 2.5k, 6k and 16k) and a separate bass enhancement adjustment called "Clear Bass" can be found. As already stated though, you're not limited to just the stock EQ and if you do end up using a third-party app like Winamp or Neutron, you've got the EQ in those apps to take advantage of anyway.

I'm a bit of a purist with my digital audio so I can't comment on the VBR thing since I use either FLAC on everything I encode now, or ATRAC3Plus if it came from my older Sonicstage library.

Believe me, I'm sure your ears will be more than satisfied with this unit and the stability has been rock solid for me. It has served its purpose very well as my in-car media player and I couldn't be happier.

do you get any distortion when you use the EQ? I mean, when I use custom EQ on my iPhone 5, at some levels I get highly distorted sound. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back