Sony NW E507 in stock at circuit city $150
May 22, 2005 at 8:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

sno1man

1000+ Head-Fier
Saw them this morning, was sorely tempted at that price. The employees were surprised by the price too. I think one may have bought one.

Very nice looking player!

May 22, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 14
I've seen some preliminary reviews, but if anyone bites on this unit I'd appreciate some additional impressions.

I'm tempted by the price, appearance, and battery life, but the Sony software is a big negative. I'd be converting CDs to mp3, and I hear nothing but bad things about the transfer software. It would have to sound very, very good before I'm willing to put up with slow, clunky transfer software.

Thanks.

May 23, 2005 at 4:12 AM Post #4 of 14
Bangra, do you have md portable players? specially from the 2nd generation of hi-md, im debating between an rh-10 and a flash player, but SQ is really important to me, so i was wondering which had better sound quality, the new sony flash players or sony hi-mds

May 23, 2005 at 5:40 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Sony NW E507 in stock at circuit city $150

Wow, that model is even $199 on Amazon. I better go check and see if they also have the NW-E405 for cheap too. My local SonyStyle shop won't be carrying the gumsticks for another 2 weeks. Makes no sense to me =(.

May 24, 2005 at 12:41 AM Post #6 of 14
Well I bit and bought one. I suspect they may have been miss-marked as to price.

A couple of initial observations.

Like bangaram had said in another thread, the player has a very substansial quality look and feel to it. The main switch is a good design. The other less used buttons are a little small but serviceable.

On mine the display is just beautiful. I like the little animations that play every few seconds to so that you know the unit is on. I agree that it is a scratch magnet even more than the ipods. The display is quite readable in sunlight here. I wonder if the black versus blue background makes a difference?

The sound qaulity seems good but I have only used it with my sony ex71 buds since I am travelling. The clip it comes with is useless

The tuner seems to have execptional sensitivity compared to either the creative muvo or the iriver 895 that I have.

The battery charge over usb is quite fast (80 minutes)

Going to give it more complete test when I get home.

Like it so far though.

May 24, 2005 at 8:44 AM Post #7 of 14
If you can shoot me some pics as I did in daylight. I'm left wondering if we have different displays in Europe. Both my 507 and 407/5 are completely invisible in sunlight, let alone even overcast, as per the picture.

May 24, 2005 at 8:02 PM Post #8 of 14
I thought the price OP mentioned had to be a mistake so I went down to CC to check it out and sure enough it's $150. They also had the new silver HD5 for $299 which is pretty good to. I haven't opened up my new 6gb mini and im thinking about returning it for the HD5 and ebaying my 799t for the 507.

May 25, 2005 at 1:02 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beethovenian
They already corrected the price to $199. I just saw it at a Circuit City (and confirmed in its Web site).

That is true if you buy it online but I just got mine 30 minutes ago in store for $149. It did ring up for $199 but the sign said $149. So if you want one race down to CC before they change the signs.

Funny thing is that both CC I visited had hand written signs for $149.

May 25, 2005 at 1:34 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by traficante
That is true if you buy it online but I just got mine 30 minutes ago in store for $149. It did ring up for $199 but the sign said $149. So if you want one race down to CC before they change the signs.

Funny thing is that both CC I visited had hand written signs for $149.

I just saw a handwritten sign for $199 in the Union Square Circuit City in Manhattan. Maybe the one you went to is late to change it. Lucky you.

May 25, 2005 at 2:52 AM Post #12 of 14
I can also confirm sightings of the NW-E507 (but priced at $199) and HD5 in a local Circuit City in Schaumburg, IL. I was quite shocked to see both there, considering sony's own website doesn't state the E507 as being available and the HD5 hasn't even been announced yet in the US. So tempting to get both, even though I don't need either.
rs1smile.gif

May 25, 2005 at 3:50 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by doclloyd
I can also confirm sightings of the NW-E507 (but priced at $199) and HD5 in a local Circuit City in Schaumburg, IL. I was quite shocked to see both there, considering sony's own website doesn't state the E507 as being available and the HD5 hasn't even been announced yet in the US. So tempting to get both, even though I don't need either.
rs1smile.gif

I also confirmed with a SonyStore employee that their stores won't be carrying them for another 1.5-2 weeks.

Ugh I need some my paycheck fast =).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back