Sony NW-A50 Series
Oct 12, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #541 of 2,409
Could you just join the tracks together?
Yes, but no. I still want separate tracks. A cue will do, but still. In my case I have more than 128gb of albums, most of which need gapless. I always listened to them without problems on pc or smartphone. This player or many others won't do it for me. My solution is an android dap with a good player app :)

Oct 12, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #543 of 2,409
Could you just join the tracks together?

We are in 2019. Smartphones can play gapless , Rockbox DAPs years ago could do gapless, it's just a feature which should be obvious. When playing shuffled playlist it does not matter, but playing whole album it may lower the fun from listening.

I really look forward into NW-A100, it may be really nice device.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #544 of 2,409
We are in 2019. Smarthopnes can play gapless , Rockbox DAPs years ago could do gapless, it's just a feature which should be obvious. When playing shuffled playlist it does not matter, but playing whole album it may lower the fun from listening.

That's exactly how I feel about this. But I'm tired trying to explain it to people while it should be obvious. Looks like most people (I'm talking in general) don't really listen, and experience music (I mean listening an album as a whole, as the artistic concept of the author) but just jerk off new gear or listen to shuffle mode, which I don't understand, but maybe it's just me and a handful of people since dap manufacturers don't care enough about this. Anyway, sorry for the ot. I came here thinking that this Sony player would do for me, but I was wrong (I misread a review) hopefully I found something better and even cheaper for my needs

Oct 13, 2019 at 3:54 AM Post #545 of 2,409
We are in 2019. Smarthopnes can play gapless , Rockbox DAPs years ago could do gapless, it's just a feature which should be obvious. When playing shuffled playlist it does not matter, but playing whole album it may lower the fun from listening.

Well, sorry but rockbox could never do proper mp3 gapless coz here we talk about mp3 gapless and like I said the sony can do it. It just doesn't have algorithms that can trim the silence since that is hardcoded in the tracks.

That's exactly how I feel about this. But I'm tired trying to explain it to people while it should be obvious. Looks like most people (I'm talking in general) don't really listen, and experience music (I mean listening an album as a whole, as the artistic concept of the author) but just jerk off new gear or listen to shuffle mode, which I don't understand, but maybe it's just me and a handful of people since dap manufacturers don't care enough about this. Anyway, sorry for the ot. I came here thinking that this Sony player would do for me, but I was wrong (I misread a review) hopefully I found something better and even cheaper for my needs
That's quite a bit of overgeneralisation and bull*. Most people around here have moved on to better formats years ago. And even just because someone doesn't care about small gaps between the tracks that doesn't means he/she is insane and doesn't listen to music as the artist intended. If there is no gapless and you have a 1-hour album with 10 tracks with half a second of silence in-between - that's less than 5 seconds of silence spread out through an hour of music. Come on! You can't honestly claim that 4,5 seconds ruin a 1-hour album and suddenly make it unlistenable and not as the artist intended. If anything the artists didn't intend their music to be listened in a compressed lossy format.

Oct 13, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #546 of 2,409
Well, sorry but rockbox could never do proper mp3 gapless coz here we talk about mp3 gapless and like I said the sony can do it. It just doesn't have algorithms that can trim the silence since that is hardcoded in the tracks.

That's quite a bit of overgeneralisation and bull*. Most people around here have moved on to better formats years ago. And even just because someone doesn't care about small gaps between the tracks that doesn't means he/she is insane and doesn't listen to music as the artist intended. If there is no gapless and you have a 1-hour album with 10 tracks with half a second of silence in-between - that's less than 5 seconds of silence spread out through an hour of music. Come on! You can't honestly claim that 4,5 seconds ruin a 1-hour album and suddenly make it unlistenable and not as the artist intended. If anything the artists didn't intend their music to be listened in a compressed lossy format.
Better format may be relative. I can't hear the difference between a properly encoded mp3 and a flac, so I have no reason to waste space. Maybe it's my problem, but I challenge everyone doing a blind test like I did. And yes, a small gap will completely ruin the experience for me. But I finally found the player for me so screw everyone else. I'm good now :p

Oct 13, 2019 at 6:11 AM Post #547 of 2,409
Better format may be relative. I can't hear the difference between a properly encoded mp3 and a flac, so I have no reason to waste space. Maybe it's my problem, but I challenge everyone doing a blind test like I did. And yes, a small gap will completely ruin the experience for me. But I finally found the player for me so screw everyone else. I'm good now :p
Well, as long as you are happy, that's fine. My issue is that you felt the need to come hete and overgeneralise ridiculous stuff like people here not appreciating the music unlike you which is akin to that southpark episode with the people smelling their own farts. Just saying

Oct 13, 2019 at 7:13 AM Post #548 of 2,409
Well, as long as you are happy, that's fine. My issue is that you felt the need to come hete and overgeneralise ridiculous stuff like people here not appreciating the music unlike you which is akin to that southpark episode with the people smelling their own farts. Just saying
Ahah I appreciate the quote (in the previous message I almost wrote "screw you guys, I'm going home") but maybe I didn't explain myself correctly (also English is not my first language so I might have made even more mistakes) it's true I was mostly talking about myself, but it's also true, and that's a fact, that very few care about this functionality. AND I also think that a lot of times who smells their own fart are people listening to the gear and not to the music. But again, it's a very peculiar case, and in most case listening to lossless solve this problem automatically. So it's highly subjective. I was more angry about how hard it is to find a dap with this ability, I tried many in the years and it was always a let down so I always went back to the smartphone (which has other issues tho) I'm so happy I found a cheap android dap now. I hope it makes sense. And sorry again for the ot

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #549 of 2,409
I had 4 DAPs using Rockbox (Clip+, 2 iPods and now Xduoo X3) and all could do gapless on FLAC and mp3. ON OPEN SOURCE FIRMWARE. If I have to PAY for DAP, I also pay for software.
So I hope that NW-A100 will have the features like gapless and ReplayGain. Lack of this last stop me from buying Sony DAP.

Oct 13, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #551 of 2,409
You really shouldn't have to do this amount of extra work for a DAP in 2019.

And you don't. I have zero issues with gapless playback on my NW-A55. Some people need to look into how they are ripping and/or transcoding their music.

Oct 18, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #553 of 2,409
And you don't. I have zero issues with gapless playback on my NW-A55. Some people need to look into how they are ripping and/or transcoding their music.

Dude, I was rocking gapless on ATRAC back in the 90's. :dt880smile: I never had a problem finding gapless for my PC.

i have it for my a17, a55, zx300, HIby R5, and Cowon Plenue D

i was just helping pointy fox

Oct 19, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #554 of 2,409
I just brought my brand new NW-A55 (Green) from Japan (¥21,880 at Fasola Akiba Narita Terminal 2). Love the size, love the dynamics, love the display. It's definitely not a detail nor clarity king (compared to Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato) via the headphone output, but as a source for bluetooth speakers or headphones it's perfect.

Can it be pair with Mojo?

Nov 6, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #555 of 2,409
Picked up a new SanDisk 1 TB micro SD card. Loading it with music, as I type this. Now, I can just dump my entire FLAC collection on to my Walkman (about 18K tracks)

Will report back on compatibility and time required to "Create Library" after a cold boot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back