Sony NW-A50 Series
Nov 14, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #137 of 2,409
I just brought my brand new NW-A55 (Green) from Japan (¥21,880 at Fasola Akiba Narita Terminal 2). Love the size, love the dynamics, love the display. It's definitely not a detail nor clarity king (compared to Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato) via the headphone output, but as a source for bluetooth speakers or headphones it's perfect.

Nov 14, 2018 at 1:59 AM Post #138 of 2,409
I just brought my brand new NW-A55 (Green) from Japan (¥21,880 at Fasola Akiba Narita Terminal 2). Love the size, love the dynamics, love the display. It's definitely not a detail nor clarity king (compared to Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato) via the headphone output, but as a source for bluetooth speakers or headphones it's perfect.
Thank for your post, lazner, nice to know your impressions on this DAP. Did you compare it to Onkyo Rubato via line out?
I'm in the process of selecting a new DAP, so if Rubato is more detailed and refined regarding sound quility, I'd stick to it...
Does Rubato suuport 400Gb microSDXC cards, do you know that?

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #139 of 2,409
While Rubato has a line-out setting for its 3.5mm jack, the NW-A55 requires a separate cable which I don’t have, therefore unable to compare them. Sorry.

But from the 3.5mm Onkyo Rubato has definitely higher SQ, wider extension on both ends, with more clarity and detail. It does support 2x 400GB micro SD’s. Stick to it if you can.

Nov 14, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #142 of 2,409
So i've been doing a bit of research on trying to find the player online, so far i came across Rakuten Global Market. They sell the NW-A56HN (32GB version) with earphones packed in it, only thing is i don't know if the website is legit. Anyone heard of Rakuten? https://global.rakuten.com/en/store...id=rgm_search_en_rvp_widget&prefecture_input=
This one looks more legit:

http://www.accessoryjack.com/sony-nw-a55-16gb-high-resolution-digital-music-player-walkman-red.html

Nov 14, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #143 of 2,409
Nov 14, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #144 of 2,409
Nov 15, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #145 of 2,409
Alright, cool. I tried Japanese Amazon, but they didn't want to ship to the UK. Not sure about other oversees destinations.
i bought mine from toby deals ..i will put a little video up showing changes from the A45

Nov 19, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #146 of 2,409
So i've been doing a bit of research on trying to find the player online, so far i came across Rakuten Global Market. They sell the NW-A56HN (32GB version) with earphones packed in it, only thing is i don't know if the website is legit. Anyone heard of Rakuten? https://global.rakuten.com/en/store...id=rgm_search_en_rvp_widget&prefecture_input=

Rakuten is actually a global online retailer though not as big as amazon they have sites in alot of countries and I use to buy stuff from buy.com one of their sites available to Canada. They actual sponsor the Golden State Warriors NBA team which has the Rakuten logo on their uniforms. Definitely a legit company, unfortunately their Canadian site is gone now so I don't buy from them anymore but if you go to buy.com at the bottom of the page there is a drop down to choose different country sites.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #147 of 2,409
My prayers have been answered... Primephonic has released their Android app.

Now, with LDAC transmission from my Google Pixel 2 into the Sony NW-A55, I have lossless streaming classical music at work.

End game, portable sound with a nearly unlimited catalog.

Nov 22, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #148 of 2,409
Does the USB DAC function of this still have high latency like ZX300 etc...? Skimmed & searched but didn't see any notes about this, sorry if answered already.

Will try that. So far I'm using a flat EQ with DSEE HX turned on while listening. On my X series I use a flat EQ, Clear Bass set at 2 levels out of 3 with Clear Stereo and DSEE turned on.

I haven't used mine for a while but IIRC w/ A10 series the Clear Bass became just the low frequency EQ slider (like the other bands specify a frequency but the lowest just said "Clear Bass")- I wonder if they have just integrated this dsp as part of the EQ now? Though maybe not because Clear Bass had a lot of fans so I'd think they would keep the branding.... Sony gonna Sony I guess.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #149 of 2,409
I wonder if they have just integrated this dsp as part of the EQ now?

Sony calls this ClearAudio+ and it's described as a one-step EQ/DSP. But I think this is similar to ClearBass in the older models. It's very, well, bassy, but it's fun to listen with on some tracks.

The Sound Settings is its own set of functions and includes EQ and various DSP functions, like Vinyl Processor.

MVIMG_20181014_092632.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back